Gamepads for the PS3

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
I need a gamepad for the PS3, but not the DS3 or sixaxis.

I want something similar to the X360 controller, as the ps3 ones just feel to small and have the analog sticks in the wrong position for me alot of the time. Shame that the x360 controllers dont work with the PS3 (yes, i know you can hack it to work in linux but im not going to play any games in linux)

So i have a few questions:

1. Is there any non- Sony controllers that are bluetooth that work on the PS3?

2. Any recommendations for something that works on the PS3 that looks\feels more like a X360 gamepad?

3. Does normal usb pc gamepads work with the PS3?

edit: i just saw this thing
41fSJRLGtYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

that works with the PS3, but that thing is borderline cheating. Mouse precision would mean instant win.. :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
In reverse, is there any way to use the PS2 (or PS3) controller on the 360? When I buy SF4, I don't want to have to use the 360 dpad.

In reverse, is there any way to use the PS2 (or PS3) controller on the 360? When I buy SF4, I don't want to have to use the 360 dpad.

There's going to be a series of custom pads, one of which apparently is very similar to the Saturn 6-button pad. The tournament stick is supposedly made from top-notch, actual arcade parts but i think it's retailing for upwards of $100.

Robert: The XFPS Sniper Plus also supports PS controllers on the 360.

Buy it for PS3???

What, buy a $399 console for a $30 controller :p

Even if you have both consoles (like Robert) there are many factors which affect which game you will get. The pad on the PS3 may be a factor, but what if all your fighter-friends you gathered from DoA and the like are all on Live?

Thanks Josh and obonicus,

That XFPS is too much and I'm worried about controller lag. I'll need to read more reviews on it for fighting games. That would be the last option.

I'll look forward to the custom controllers being released with the game. I suck at joysticks so that's out for me also.

Yeah I do.

I see, so then your main interest in this game would probably be playing online with your friends via XBL correct? If that's the case, I wouldn't recommend spending money on adapters that can induce input lag, etc, I would just invest in a decent stick. I hear Markman is working with Mad Catz on a very nice pad and stick specifically for SF IV, I'd look into buying one of those, it would probably be your best bet.

Yeah, I'm looking for a nice pad actually. I've always been terrible with arcade sticks. Hopefully as Oboncious eluded to, pads are also coming out with the release. I love SF games and bought the one off XBLA but the Dpad made it unplayable for me.

edit: i just saw this thing
41fSJRLGtYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

that works with the PS3, but that thing is borderline cheating. Mouse precision would mean instant win.. :devilish:

Is that the Frag FX or something else? Looks very nice.

EDIT

I found it, its the FragFX v.2. Wonder how this one will stack up. Price isn't too bad either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neowin.net has posted a review of the XCM Cross Battle Adapter for the PS3...

http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/09/01/14/xcm-cross-battle-adapter-review

Cons

• Only works with wired 360 controllers. If they could somehow get it working on the wireless 360 controller, they would truly have a massive hit on their hands.
  • Does not support rumble.
  • Does not support Six-Axis, however considering the games that incorporate it as a gameplay mechanic, this may not be such a bad thing.
  • The ring on the 360 controller never stops blinking and spinning, but that is only a minor annoyance.
  • You are at the mercy of the developer, meaning if a game does not let you customize it's control scheme, you may be stuck using the trigger as the alternate functionality instead of the primary one.
  • Contains the option to make individual buttons have a Turbo functionality. Last time I checked, it was not the 90's. The adapter has an extra bulk that I personally feel is unnecessary as I cannot find a single positive use for "Turbo" when it comes to playing games made in the past 10 years. Perhaps it is useful addition for remakes of classics, and possibly one or two very choice new games, but Turbo is indeed so old school it should have never made the cut in my humble opinion.

Pros

• It works, and it works extremely well.
  • Truly Plug-N-Play
  • Finally play FPS's on the PS3 with the superior controller layout for the genre

Sounds like a pretty good product. Though you might want to wait for the first rev if you really want rumble. I also agree that the turbo swiches are not necessary. Remove them and make it smaller. Add rumble & support for the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows(if it doesn't work, I asked them to test it) to allow wireless controllers. The ability to remap control scheme through would also be welcome. Maybe add manual switches for that instead of the turbo ones?

Tommy McClain

Finally play FPS's on the PS3 with the superior controller layout for the genre

That's a ridiculous statement unless it somehow makes a mouse and keyboard work too. The two controllers function almost identically for most genres, FPS included. Any preference has solely to do with which console one spends his/her time on.

I've played plenty of FPS and shooters on both my 360 and PS3 and could care less which controller I'm holding, I guess I'm doing it wrong.

For FPSes, doesn't the XB360 go against the orignal design notion of the XB pad that the key functions are in the most natural thumb place? I thought that was why the left-stick was positioned where it was, with last-gen games being very "left stick and face button" oriented. But for FPSes you're using both sticks at the same time, in which case having them at different positions is surely as much a niggle as having to stretch the thumbs (something I've not had issue with on the DS design)? Personally I think the DS layout has improved now shooters are more popular exactly for its symmetry, though the shoulder buttons aren't ideal and the XB360 definitely has the upper hand there with the triggers.

But of course, this level of choice is definitely fabulous. There's no reason for anyone to be tied to one controller size etc. for a console. PC's don't limit gamers as such, and the consoles would do better for their gamers if they didn't either.

Well I happen to think that the X360 controller is superior to the PS3 controller in fps games and all other games that utilize both thumbsticks at the same time (trust me I'm not the only one). the asymetrical layout feels much more accurate. I think the difference is almost as big as the d-pad advantage in the Sony controller. L2 and R2 in the PS3 controller are the worst buttons ever... Who was so stupid that they made them curvy to the wrong way?!

That's a ridiculous statement unless it somehow makes a mouse and keyboard work too. The two controllers function almost identically for most genres, FPS included. Any preference has solely to do with which console one spends his/her time on.

I've played plenty of FPS and shooters on both my 360 and PS3 and could care less which controller I'm holding, I guess I'm doing it wrong.

My killratio is roughly 20% higher on X360 than on PS3. Accuracy is 15% higher (which is interesting because i play with 10- sens at x360 and 7-8 on ps3).

Nearly all my mates, no matter if they own a PS3, X360 or nothing, all like the 360 gamepad more. We dont play any games that really use the d-pad for anything thought.

I reckon it has alot to do with size aswell, i reckon norwegians may be a bit bigger than say, japanese people. PS3 pad feels kinda small in my hand, and the triggers!!

LFMAO!

Whatever moron figured out to make the triggers curve the wrong way should be fired.

I have no problem with both, K/D ratios are the same, etc etc.

Maybe I'm some sort of "freak of nature". I also don't think the PS3 triggers are bad, but I don't look at them like "triggers". They are far superior for racing games, if only because they don't have insane tension that makes my fingers tired during long races.

Either way, I think Nyko offers what you're looking for.

My killratio is roughly 20% higher on X360 than on PS3. Accuracy is 15% higher (which is interesting because i play with 10- sens at x360 and 7-8 on ps3).

You play the same game on both platforms with equal time? Most people prefer and spend time with one console, which of course biases their skill. Maybe a developer who tracks stats for a multi-platform game like COD4 might have some interesting data, but I have not seen it.

Back