Full NV35 official feature list inside

Hyp-X said:
Reverend said:
Anyway, I'm sure you guys know NVIDIA is making the developer rounds with NV35 boards ATM.

They give away NV35 boards to developers? ;)
The last time we got a board from nVidia it was a GF2GTS.
In the meantime we got 1 R7000 card, 2 R7500 cards, 2 Parhelia cards, 2 R9000Pro cards, 4 R9700Pro cards...

If I calculate the number of nVidia cards in our computers it's already less than 50% and it is steadily decreasing.

If it's indicative of anything in time people will argue that some games has bugs on nVidia hw because it was developed on ATI cards. ;)
Hyp, it's an interesting comment you made. However I'm sure you know NVIDIA (if not others) "pick and choose" which and what "type" of developers to give the latest ref boards to.

I don't think I'd be too far wrong to say that NVIDIA is less concerned with boards sold wrt NV3x compared to developer evangelism with NV35 given that everyone more or less are a little more favorable towards ATi ATM.

I suppose ATi and its dev rel have more reason now to evangelize their hardware.

I realize that nVidia didn't spread their cards to small developers (like us), while ATI did for the same reason: nVidia had the largest market share (and ATI want to come back).

But this will be one of the reasons they will lose.

If the games won't be developed on their hardware, those games won't support their extra features, and won't contain workarounds for their quirks at the time of release. And that means they have to make the catch-up game, that ATI did before.

The recent driver hacks already show they are (desperately) trying to do something, but I have the feeling they've been leaders so long they forgot what it takes to grab the no 1 spot.

Exclusive deals with a few top publishers / developers may sound good at first but this is not the way to go.

Not trying to sound snippy but has your company actually tried to contact them to receive boards?

Ati offers 40% discount to registered devs. Good deal but I don't like their dev contract. I like nvidia's no-nonsense dev. rel. approach the best. Never had any problems what so ever. They were always very quick in response and bent over backwards to help me. I see none of that with Ati to date. If you can't work for me don't expect me to cooperate with you.

RussSchultz said:
I'm an engineer, and I see your statements as false and based upon nothing but idle speculation and falacious assumtions. You're attributing costs to items with zero idea of what those items cost in reality, and what might make them more or less expensive.

The PCB fabrication costs are minimal (on the order of a couple of dollars). 8 layers vs. 12 layers is no more difference than a few dollars.

The cost of the components could be a big knob that is slightly affected by the layout, but if you look at a GF-FX and a R3xx, you'll find the number of passive components (capacitors, resistors, connectors, etc) to be pretty much on par with each other in quantity. Likely the difference in cost between the two designs based on passive components is also in the order of a few dollars.

Memory? Well yeah, that might be a big differentiator--BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LAYOUT. Same thing with the GPU chip.

So, again, beyond you deciding that demand is not being met because eBay is selling them for $500 (which I'm not even concerned about), what, exactly, leads you to believe that "Nvidia simply cannot afford a 12 layer board and the expensive board layout of the Nv30". What lends credence that they cannot afford 12 layer boards, and that their board layout is expensive?

I would tend to think pretty much like you, Russ--after all, what's a "couple of dollars" here and there? "Big Deal," right?

Wrong, it turns out. Card manufacturers think exactly like systems OEMs--every single penny--every one--is given what people like you and I would consider to be nonsensical attention. And that's because people like you and me don't count the beans.

I've seen major systems OEMs leave off 25-cent AGP slots on motherboards simply to save the 25 cents. (Doesn't sound like much but is could be when you anticipate selling hundreds of thousands of them--or millions.) Years ago I almost bought an HP system for some number crunching until I discovered the model didn't include an AGP slot--but just a permanent integrated AGP gp. (I bought another system--for less--with an AGP slot--just my preference--no relation to the tasks I needed done.) In fact, in every facet of the manufacturing of peripherals, whether it's hard drives, floppies, CD-ROMs, or-you-name-it....cost is numero uno.

Granted--a "couple of bucks" sounds like chicken feed. But to the manufacturers and OEMs of these products it can often mean the difference between profit and loss--at least, that's the way they think about it. The fact is that even if the difference was a few pennies per pcb the difference would still be enough to get their attention.

I can agree, though, that a limited-production item selling for $500 on eBay is absolutely no measure of demand, and if anyone paid $500 for such a product it is likely because of its limited production status coupled with people's illusions of "collector's items"...;) V5 6K's brought even more $$$ on eBay--but I think that was because the supply was far more limited than the few 5800U's likely to be made.

I do think that the V5 6K and the 5800U are both examples of poorly conceived products, though, in that they were too expensive to make and would have ultimately cost more money than they made their sellers because their performance would not have justified the prices manufacturers would need to charge to make a decent profit, considering the limited portion of the market these products sell into. Hence both were cancelled (although nVidia went further with it than 3dfx did.)

You're right, Walt. Cost is numero uno. We sell 10s of millions of parts to Asia a year, so the ODM penny pincher model is not foriegn to me.

However, the total package cost is whats important. With AC97, for example, its a very cost sensitive business. All the chips are (essentially) the same, and the only thing that differentiates them is audio quality and cost, plus a bit of brand name, etc.

With video cards (or MP3 processors) its alot more difficult to compete solely on price. There's intagible worth in product A vs. product B. Call it brand name, ease of development, assessment of features, quality of drivers, etc. It gets very difficult to measure how much your getting for your dollar between product A and product B. This makes the "total BOM" take a back seat to percieved value. We also don't know what the components in the rest of the system cost (to counterbalance any increased cost of the PCB).

Anyways, regardless of that, none of us know the total BOM cost for product A, B, C or D, so it should behoove us to simply avoid making assessments as facts, or repeat ad nauseum technical and financial opinions that are pulled out of some behind and polished with a bit of zeal .

Russ, its not just the BOM, its how long it ties up one of your manufacturing machines for. Talking with Sapphire and they were saying that a board such as 9700 will less than halve their output because of the complexity. Board costs are not just about that actual cost of materials.

All Graphic card fans. We support UK game developers for all hardware but particularly Gainward Nvidia Graphics Cards.

Since we have very close ties with Nvidia Corp we would like to offer a simple & obvious explanation for lack of FOC cards. SUCCESS
Success breeds greater demand for cards. And with games becoming more graphic intensive the program teams have become larger. The up shot being there's not enough cards to go round.

So what do you do?

Currently Gainward & us support & work closely with a large number of Software & game developers. Is means we are able to offer special pricing to UK game devlopers.

If you are a Developer or publisher and want to know more contact me directly.[/b]

1. Ads on the top and bottom of the page suffice--I'd rather not have them in the middle, too.
2. If nV cards are in short supply, how can Gainward offer them (at a reduced price or otherwise) when nV can't?
3. You'd do better targeting developers who care about games--those who car about them probably have more important things to grapple with, like grade school.*

BTW, I'm offering editing services for reasonable fees, for developers and advertisers who car(e) about their image. ;)

* I kid because I love! :D

Developers

Pete,

Thanks for the feedback.

Firstly please focus on developers & not the so called Advert.
We got nothing to hide so it makes sense to explain that we Car/care and support developers as part of our business.

I run a business based up on supporting developers, BIG DEVELOPERS & small ones. In fact the biggest developers.

NV do not brand cards. They once upon a time purchased loads to hand out to worldwide developers. Today they support key card vendors like Gainward to supply to the developers direct. Which is where we come in.
They also run seminars, such as summer camp etc which often include cards for the attendees. Which ones have you been too?
ATi are doing similar things all be it a little less advanced.

What's your beef?

Explain your services better to us so we then may be able to promote you to developers you don't know in the UK.

Last bit of information:

Seems the NV35 is making the rounds to developers. My friend said his company received one and it's only running at 300MHz now. He shot me a 3DMark03 score. It's on a Pentium 2.4Ghz. Not to impressive to say the least. Not sure what drivers were used, but the score was around 4200. Hehe.

I just don't see the NV35 as a huge increase over the NV30. But who knows, maybe Nvidia can do something.. I'm curious how much are all you paying for your Ultra 5800's ?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
3DChipset.com
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10633&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

So I guess the question is, just what will the final clockspeed of NV35 be? I sure hope is is a lot higher than 300 MHz.

On a side note, what does the NV30 score on a similarly equipped system? A R9800? A R9700?

4200 at 300 MHz on a P4 2.4 seems alright to me then. If they can bump the core up to between 450-600 Mhz, it should be quite a good card, IMO.

Back