Full Auto 2: Battlelines Interview

Bad_Boy

god of war.
Veteran
Kinda short, but gives some details on where they plan on going with the sequel.

FiringSquad: Some of the comments for the first Full Auto game were that the vehicles felt "floaty" in their driving physics. Is this issue being addressed in Full Auto 2?

Mike Gallo: In short – absolutely. We’ve spent a lot of time working on the car driving models for Full Auto 2, and we think that everyone will be pleased with the results. We had two goals – make the cars more fun to drive, and make the cars feel unique. These were especially important given the addition of the new race modes and in particular the arena combat modes.

Rest of interview here:
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=11496

Thx to Grovestreet @ e-mpire for the link.

Having never played the 360 version i cant comment on the improvment's, but did'nt the 360 version have HDR?

full auto was possibly the only early 360 title that had both HDR* and FSAA. it also had a choppy framerate.

* of the compact 7e3 variety, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full auto was the definition of fodder-ware imo, not really sure why they're bothering with a sequal to be honest. I guess it did have potential, but their execution was so bad, you have to wonder about the game designer leading this.

scooby_dooby said:
Full auto was the definition of fodder-ware imo, not really sure why they're bothering with a sequal to be honest. I guess it did have potential, but their execution was so bad, you have to wonder about the game designer leading this.

because the rest of the early 360 titles were executed flowlessly..

scooby_dooby said:

It's not "really" a sequal but a specially designed version for the PS3.

I dunno, I had fun playing it on the devkits at the Sega booth @E3... It ran quite smoothly too.

scooby_dooby said:
I thought you enjoyed playing the demo? Was the final game really that bad?

Never played it myself.

It got dragged through the media really bad for whatever reason, probably because it doesn't control like Burnout. But once you get use to the feel, it's a fun game. I find it more enjoyable than the afore mentioned Burnout on my 360.

Bad_Boy said:
I thought you enjoyed playing the demo? Was the final game really that bad?

Never played it myself.

lol, to be honest I never played the full game, but the reviews were horrible. The main problem, and I experienced it in the demo, was complete lack of variety. And most of teh reviews picked up on that as well, all the stages look the same, there is no story, it just gets real old, real fast.

The demo was cool at first, shooting things and watching them blow up is fun, but that last for all of 10-15 minutes and then you're stuck with a repetitive racer with no story and all tracks that look the same.

I think it does have potential, but the execution was just brutal. That's why I think a sequal would be better than a 1.5, because at least they could redesign it and hopefully make better use of what they've created.

scooby_dooby said:
lol, to be honest I never played the full game, but the reviews were horrible. The main problem, and I experienced it in the demo, was complete lack of variety. And most of teh reviews picked up on that as well, all the stages look the same, there is no story, it just gets real old, real fast.
Yeah I remember the pretty bad reviews, It was really one of those you hate it or love type games I beleive. Hardknock was one of those I remember who was crazy about it. lol But many others hated it. But to be fair... In the interview he states they should be fixing many things the 1st one lacked. Like variety for example...

FiringSquad: What new tracks and environments will be seen in the sequel?

Mike Gallo: We have 13 new race / combat areas for the game (7 tracks, 6 arenas), as well as a new visual style for each of the environments. Since we’re within a city, we refer to them as districts, and each one of them looks unique, and has their own attributes and dangers. For example, in the new Financial district, there are huge high rise buildings, and tons of glass and steel that can be destroyed. The shipping / industrial areas are far grittier, and will have shipping containers, giant pipes, and even a ship that can be used as a weapon.

scooby_dooby said:
The demo was cool at first, shooting things and watching them blow up is fun, but that last for all of 10-15 minutes and then you're stuck with a repetitive racer with no story and all tracks that look the same.
Fair enough, I've experienced many games like that before so I know what you mean. But as for a story, I dont think racing games ever really focused on story aspects. Even the best racing games have no story at all.

scooby_dooby said:
I think it does have potential, but the execution was just brutal. That's why I think a sequal would be better than a 1.5, because at least they could redesign it and hopefully make better use of what they've created.
Yeah, it just seemed from your first post that this game didnt even deserve a second chance. To me, this game kinda feels like a COD2 to COD3 jump. Take that as whatever you like.

I enjoyed the demo and thought t was fun... for a while.... a rewrite sounds like it was in order... a new PS3 version should be much improved as the 360 one (albeit with incredible interactive physics) felt rushed and incomplete for a "Next Gen" game. IMO

After renting this game recently I'd have to say the game was better than the reviews gave it credit for. The frame rate wasn't rock solid but nowhere near as bad as some made it out to be. Biggest letdown in my book was the repetition. The game gets old to me pretty quickly but the handling/physics/framerate while not top notch, were ok.

A sequel could very well fix the issues it had and from what I saw it looks like it may be headed to 360 as well. To those that were interested but turned off by the reviews, give it a rent and check it out for yourselves.

Sonic and Full Auto will be PS3 exclusives, but after a certain time they will be spread to the Xbox 360.
http://xbox360.qj.net/category/Full-Auto-2-Battlelines/cid/2108

scooby_dooby said:
He doesn't say that, he says Sonic will be a PS3 launch title, I guess you could infer a couple different meanings from that.
I'm pretty sure he says exclusive.
"Sonic and Full Auto will be PS3 exclusives, but after a certain time they will be spread to the Xbox 360."

AFAIK Sonic is coming out on 360 the same day. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Sonic exclusive is news to me as well but I'm pretty sure I've seen that FA2 was eventually coming to 360 elsewhere as well.

Back