Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I wouldn't say it runs good on PC. The streams I've seen show a lot of stutter during the beginning two hours (, the initial new york city and the first part of the fantasy world) and it is not related to the streaming from Twitch/YouTube.

Looks like the game really doesn't like 6 and 8 GB VRAM GPUs. Textures look straight from the Nintendo Wii lol

Last edited:
No shader stutter too...

I thought I detected quite a bit of shader stutter when it first started but it seemed to clear up reasonably quickly. Likely because the environment is very samey across the demo area.

I wouldn't say it runs good on PC. The streams I've seen show a lot of stutter during the beginning two hours (, the initial new york city and the first part of the fantasy world) and it is not related to the streaming from Twitch/YouTube.

I think if you limit performance sensibly it can be a pretty smooth experience once the shader stutter has been resolved which seemed to be within a couple of minutes of starting for me, save the very occasional stutter further in.

The games seems to be quite CPU limited at max settings (including RT) on my 3700x. Using RTSS I can get a flat line save some very minor fluctuations in the most intense moments at a locked 40fps. That's at a resolution of 3840x1600 with DLSSQ engaged. I can see the GPU is quite comfortable at those settings, rarely going into the 80% range, but the CPU is regularly straying into the mid 80's or possibly above on some cores. At native res the bottleneck shifts heavily back on the GPU though on a 4070Ti. I haven't checked specifically but that might be a VRAM limitation as it seems to be using around 9.7GB with DLSSQ.

Note all of this is without yet installing the game ready drivers so I may give that a try tomorrow and also to re-validate my understanding around shader stutter now that I have identified settings that provide otherwise smooth gameplay.

Impressive loading skipping the logo on a PCIE 4 NVME SSD. Loading time are part of the past.

EDIT: It is loading in 0.2 s

Yes even with my "paltry" 16GB RAM I'm getting ~1s load times or less from the main menu on a 3.5GB/s NVMe. DirectStorage FTW!

Sick that it uses DS1.1!

I was hoping that they'd get it in there in time and it looks like they did.

Has there been any confirmation of that? It loads crazy fast but I don't think that necessarily means it's using HW decompression.

I've actually found the demo to be pretty enjoyable. The graphics are somewhat hit and miss but on average I think it looks pretty nice. Certainly not a "next gen showcase" or really worthy of what's on display, but decent enough. And the particle effect certainly stand out.

I thought I detected quite a bit of shader stutter when it first started but it seemed to clear up reasonably quickly. Likely because the environment is very samey across the demo area.

I think if you limit performance sensibly it can be a pretty smooth experience once the shader stutter has been resolved which seemed to be within a couple of minutes of starting for me, save the very occasional stutter further in.

The games seems to be quite CPU limited at max settings (including RT) on my 3700x. Using RTSS I can get a flat line save some very minor fluctuations in the most intense moments at a locked 40fps. That's at a resolution of 3840x1600 with DLSSQ engaged. I can see the GPU is quite comfortable at those settings, rarely going into the 80% range, but the CPU is regularly straying into the mid 80's or possibly above on some cores. At native res the bottleneck shifts heavily back on the GPU though on a 4070Ti. I haven't checked specifically but that might be a VRAM limitation as it seems to be using around 9.7GB with DLSSQ.

Note all of this is without yet installing the game ready drivers so I may give that a try tomorrow and also to re-validate my understanding around shader stutter now that I have identified settings that provide otherwise smooth gameplay.

Yes even with my "paltry" 16GB RAM I'm getting ~1s load times or less from the main menu on a 3.5GB/s NVMe. DirectStorage FTW!

I wonder is this game just pre-fetches [read: pre-loads] data at the menu screen. I noticed that clicking "continue" is essentially instant (as its the most likely place you are going to go) while manually loading a save or even the first load takes a bit longer.

Anyways, Directstorage is still impressive. I truly hope it is implemented in Starfield later this year.

The loading times are impressive atleast lol. And as The-Pissartist notes lets hope Starfield has a solid direct storage implementation.

No idea why the consoles use RT shadows instead of AO.

Of course it seems like the game could run well enough to do both, but that's yet a different problem.

Anyone has an AMD GPU? I've been told that this runs much better on AMD hardware but I have no way to verify.

It runs well enough for me but is extremely demanding. 60-70fps on a 4090+13900K. No frame pacing issues and maybe 1-2 stutters.

btw it runs at 60fps ++ here

RTX 3070 8GB
DDR4 8GB
5600X

4K, default setting except for DLSS at balanced, RTAO enabled, vsync off.

although im not sure whetehr RTAO is really active or not. as everything still looks flat

^ wait till you finish the new york area and get into the world :) You can have 80 frames looking in one dirrection then go to 55 just by turning the opposite dirrection where it's the same enviroment

Back