Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
It's an AMD sponsored game. AMD's 4k marketed product stack will likely all have 16GB of VRAM or more. I can see this game requiring 16GB of VRAM for 4k with max textures, ala how some other games required 12GB or more when that was AMD's 4k stack (eg. Godfall, Farcry 6, etc.).

Some of it may also just be optics as well in terms of presenting the products. The CPU spec listings are slanted towards AMD over Intel too.

Also I believe they've only ever presented leveraging DirectStorage for loading times? It's not inherently given that DirectStorage (or a NVMe SSD requirement) would lower system memory/video memory requirements. At this point I don't know if people should assume that DirectStorage (even with Sampler Feedback) will inherently lower memory (either pool) requirements on the PC.

Yes certainly the max GPU spec must be related to video RAM rather that pure performance. I guess they could have listed the 3090 there instead though but then listing Halo cards (even ones weaker than the actual recommended card) probably isn't the done thing with specs.

On the NVMe thing requirement, yes I guess that could be the case. i.e. even with Direct Storage and a fast NVMe they make no attempt to stream large amounts of JIT data from the drive and instead have implemented a streaming system that relies on a lot of RAM. It would be very interesting to see how this differs if at all from the console implementation.

Is it finally time for me to upgrade from 16GB....

Those specs are bizarre. Why the hell would you need 32GB RAM AND a 16GB GPU AND an NVMe SDD.

And recommending EITHER a 4080 or 6800XT for max graphics LMFAO.
Time of crossgen is ending, pc players will get used for new reomendation setting ;)

Time of crossgen is ending, pc players will get used for new reomendation setting ;)
Forspoken isn't anything special looking or appears to be doing anything special technically outside of loading quickly.

I mean, the PS5 version runs at what like ~1200p at ~60fps.. and yet there are other games which are more graphically impressive, technically demanding, which run at higher IQ and framerates.

It's more like console players are going to have to get used to last gen resolutions like 1080p... or ~30fps framerates 🤷‍♂️

I think the settings will go up but I think the Forspoken recommendation are all over the place. There is no logic. At least with Returnal with HDD they recommend 32 GB there is some logic.

For the 4080 I won't be surprised if the real GPU will be 3080. And if it is not the case maybe it is because this is an AMD optimized title like COD for example.

EDIT: We have three current gen games setting Silent Hill, Returnal and Forspoken and the settings are going up but I prefer wait the release of the game.

Reactions: snc

Out of curiosity, which part of cross gen coming to an end is it that you think makes a 4080 equivalent to a 6800XT?

For the 4080 I won't be surprised if the real GPU will be 3080 if it is not the case. This is maybe because it is an AMD optimized title like COD for example.

I think it's based on the 16GB RAM. They probably have some "Ultra" texture setting in there specifically designed to require that much RAM at 4K in order to justify that allocation on AMD cards. Granted if it actually makes a positive visual difference then I'm all for it. But I have my doubts.

Testing this on my 4070 should be interesting given it's comfortably more powerful than a 6800XT, but only has 12GB VRAM.

EDIT - I also have an NVMe, but only 16GB RAM so it'll be extra interesting for me.

Forspoken isn't anything special looking or appears to be doing anything special technically outside of loading quickly.

I mean, the PS5 version runs at what like ~1200p at ~60fps.. and yet there are other games which are more graphically impressive, technically demanding, which run at higher IQ and framerates.
I agree but its just the way it is, also recomanded settings are probably for higher res and rt quality than ps5 target

Out of curiosity, which part of cross gen coming to an end is it that you think makes a 4080 equivalent to a 6800XT?
My post was more about high recomended setting for pc. About not equivalent in performance between nvidia and amd cars - it not like its something new, usualy I would say its other way around with more requirement for amd cards. It can be just mistake or just game prefer one arch. over other. or gpu memory constraint as 3080 has only 10gb.

Last edited:

I think it's based on the 16GB RAM. They probably have some "Ultra" texture setting in there specifically designed to require that much RAM at 4K in order to justify that allocation on AMD cards. Granted if it actually makes a positive visual difference then I'm all for it. But I have my doubts.

Testing this on my 4070 should be interesting given it's comfortably more powerful than a 6800XT, but only has 12GB VRAM.

EDIT - I also have an NVMe, but only 16GB RAM so it'll be extra interesting for me.
I see a 5800X3D and 32GB update in your future

I forget the AMD sponsored title with abnormal amount of VRAM. I am sure it will work ok with 16 GB of main RAM. It would be ridiculous to ask more for the first DirectStorage title.

Back