Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Identify in what way?

It's a "I can relate" vague feeling. The way the MC talks, what he does, the main goal, the story, it can be a lot of thing. The world around the mc have a big role too. Hard to get into a story or a character if what you do, what you see,etc, is boring.

This is just poor reading comprehension; complaining about how some objects intentionally disappear out of view as bad graphical "artifacts" is a nitpick, especially when you had to open up a full 4k image up close to even notice. And if this is awful, give me more awful looking games.

Forspoken-Demo-20221222002719.jpg

Forspoken-Demo-20221222000057.jpg

Forspoken-Demo-20221218214634.jpg

Forspoken-Demo-20221222203719.jpg
Exacty what I have being saying. The problem in that game graphics is mainly the artstyle (including lighting) that is completely generic and uninspired, sometimes the game looks like a demo. I am currently playing Elden Ring and for sure that game looks so much better than forspoken, but we can see that Elden Ring is a PS4 game elevated by awesome artstyle and great level / character design.

But technically Forspoken is impressive. The vegetation is sometimes one of the most impressive stuff I have seen in any game (only seen that stuff in demos), the amount of polygons displayed on models and some environment (but not all) can be ridiculous (only rivaled by a couple PS5 exclusive games, Ratchet and Demon's Souls), and also the alphas effects tech used is 100% japanese stuff: high resolution quality while being usually too much.

Even the textures individually are better than what Elden Ring has, but of course the lighting of Elden Ring (combined with artstyle) elevate the assets in a way they look superior to Forspoken for many. And objectively in the end Elden Ring does look better indeed, no doubt about it.

But ultimately the gameplay is mediocre and that's the main problem for me. The other being the main character being so annoying and uselessly chatty. Here I think Square Enix really don't understand Western gamers at all and are doing the same mistake they did in FF15 annoying characters: using immature teens characters to target western adults just doesn't work. Except here the game is not called Final Fantasy (to save it) so it will no doubt fail badly.

Last edited:
But ultimately the gameplay is mediocre and that's the main problem for me. The other being the main character being so annoying and uselessly chatty. Here I think Square Enix really don't understand Western gamers at all and are doing the same mistake they did in FF15 annoying characters: using immature teens characters to target western adults just doesn't work. Except here the game is not called Final Fantasy (to save it) so it will no doubt fail badly.
Probably easily fixable via mods that disable main character voice. Assuming open world chatters are seperate files from other stuff.

Basically making it 'silent protagonist' ts vry common in western games

Anyway from T videos, the chatter btween her and it was not fun. Ffxv chatter with chocobros was much more fun

Further offputting are the visuals of Forspoken, which certainly doesn’t display the sort of graphical firepower you’d expect from a new-gen showcase despite being a PS5 and PC exclusive. Textures are muddy, draw distances are limited, and outside of some pretty particle effects, it’s not exactly a looker. It just all feels quite barren and lifeless, an atmosphere especially highlighted in the city I spent a good chunk of my playtime in – a grey, anaemic series of streets full of nondescript townsfolk. It’s also the location where I witnessed Forspoken commit its biggest crime so far: a frankly abysmal breed of auto-fail stealth mission that deserved to die with the PlayStation 2.

If the the full game is like this, it means the first bomba of 2023.

Whoa even ign says so.

Oh and does the use of fuck really overused? I don't know he culture of the MC
She's supposedly a black woman from New York but how the game actually handles talking and slang from the mc is definitely not how a normal black person would talk from New York 😂 something about the script is really weird...

The visuals and such are weird...because ffxv on hardware much weaker than PS5 is a lot better presented than this. the ps4 version of ff15 looks more "visually attractive" in terms of environments than this game does.

Does luminous engine need a lot of optimizing and artist work to look appealing from the start?

I can't tell if the issue with the visuals is the art style of the environments being bland and boring or the actual fidelity of the graphics being not impressive. Something definitely changed between ff15 and this and it's not the studio getting it's name changed

Maybe luminous as an engine is not worth sinking so much money and time into

Last edited:
She's supposedly a black woman from New York but how the game actually handles talking and slang from the mc is definitely not how a normal black person would talk from New York 😂 something about the script is really weird...

The visuals and such are weird...because ffxv on hardware much weaker than PS5 is a lot better presented than this. the ps4 version of ff15 looks more "visually attractive" in terms of environments than this game does.

Does luminous engine need a lot of optimizing and artist work to look appealing from the start?

I can't tell if the issue with the visuals is the art style of the environments being bland and boring or the actual fidelity of the graphics being not impressive. Something definitely changed between ff15 and this and it's not the studio getting it's name changed

Maybe luminous as an engine is not worth sinking so much money and time into
Or this game was made by a small team with too large scope

I think the budget is smaller than FF15, this is a new franchise after I think the writing of the protagonist is cringe and full of stereotype.

It was hundreds with ffxv. Dunno how many with forsaken

FFXV had 300 people on it. Forspoken has 150-170, which is pretty small for a team making AAA open world. This is the same size as the dev team that made an 8 hour linear title Calisto Protocol with barely any enemy variety and basically 2 bosses.

When Tabata left Square Enix around half of the Luminous team also left to join him at his new company JPgames.

Last edited:
Back