Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
FFXV had 300 people on it. Forspoken has 150-170, which is pretty small for a team making AAA open world. This is the same size as the dev team that made an 8 hour linear title Calisto Protocol with barely any enemy variety and basically 2 bosses.

When Tabata left Square Enix around half of the Luminous team also left to join him at his new company JPgames.
Speaking of jp games, I wonder if they have any plans

FFXV had 300 people on it. Forspoken has 150-170, which is pretty small for a team making AAA open world. This is the same size as the dev team that made an 8 hour linear title Calisto Protocol with barely any enemy variety and basically 2 bosses.

When Tabata left Square Enix around half of the Luminous team also left to join him at his new company JPgames.

That's a similar sized studio to Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima) and a similar amount of time.

Feels more like bad tools, not designed for an open world game even after FFXV and another 6 years, maybe the more talented left with Tabata. At least as far as the art is concerned, maybe the extensive combat system will end up good.

Hmm I wonder if I should buy it at launch, test for 1 hour whether I like it or not, and simply refund.

Doesn't the timer start counting down from when the download starts and not from when you first load the game? If so, you might not be able to trial it at all.

Doesn't the timer start counting down from when the download starts and not from when you first load the game? If so, you might not be able to trial it at all.
on steam, Its 2 hours of gameplay and within a certain time after purchase (in days or weeks, can't remember)

That's a similar sized studio to Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima) and a similar amount of time.

Feels more like bad tools, not designed for an open world game even after FFXV and another 6 years, maybe the more talented left with Tabata. At least as far as the art is concerned, maybe the extensive combat system will end up good.

This game actually didn't have that long of a development time; the devs didn't start working on it right after XV released. Ghost of Tsushima had six years and Sucker Punch spent pretty much the entire ps4 generation making that game and only needed to focus on PS4 platform without having to worry about optimizing for a wide range of PC hardware. Forspoken only started development in 2019 with the PC version co-developed alongside console version, and was supposed to release in Jan 2022 before covid development impacts so that would have left it at around 3 years of dev time in comparison. I think Square Enix gives this team such a limited time because they know the team technically is able to achieve it compared to other SE teams, but they really should have been given more time on both this and FFXV. At the same time it's a new unproven IP so it would make sense not to blow a huge amount of money on it. FFXVI has had a ridiculously long development time now. Even VIIR was in development for longer than this.

Aramaki: 2018 was a pretty hectic year for me. I was working on the DLC for FINAL FANTASY XV, and at the same time, we took the whole year to make solid preparations to kick off the new IP game title to be developed at Luminous Productions. And we've started creating that new title since the start of 2019.

Ultimately the graphics are going to be dictated by money, manpower, and/or time. The tools they built for this game addresses the issues they had with XV (the latter half of the game went heavily linear due to running out of budget and time), which was taking on the ridiculous scale of open worlds and high dev cost.

Speaking of jp games, I wonder if they have any plans

They released their paralympic mobile game. Tabata supposedly has a bigger game in development and also has plans to take on the open world genre for a second game and probably trying to shop for partner/publishers. Forspoken got soft rebooted after he left SE at the end of 2018.

The first project — a high-speed and experimental RPG — has already finished pre-production. He describes it as an evolved version of Final Fantasy Type-0, which he directed in 2011. Similar to Final Fantasy Type-0, he condensed the RPG experience so that one playthrough will not take a long time. However, because of the shorter play time and multiplayer function, it will have replayability value.

The second game has just started production and is an AAA game. It is a nomadic RPG that is an evolved version of Final Fantasy XV. He describes it as a large-scale game that will focus on free exploration, similar to how nomads lived in the earlier days of humanity.

on steam, Its 2 hours of gameplay and within a certain time after purchase (in days or weeks, can't remember)

How long will it take you to download though lol. Game is 87gb on PS5, about same size as Horizon FW and GoWR.

edit - Oh wait the timer only starts when you actually play the game?

Last edited:
They released their paralympic mobile game. Tabata supposedly has a bigger game in development and also has plans to take on the open world genre for a second game and probably trying to shop for partner/publishers. Forspoken got soft rebooted after he left SE at the end of 2018.

How long will it take you to download though lol. Game is 87gb on PS5, about same size as Horizon FW and GoWR.

There are 2 timers

1. 2 hours of the game running. This is annoying for some games. So if you buy the new call of duty but already play hours in the free version, no refund for you.

2. Counting after purchase. I don't know the time limit for this one but I've been able to refund games weeks after purchase. My refund has been rejected for a few years old games that I've never even played.

Assuming forpsoken won't be filled with hours of cutscenes at the beginning, the 2 hours limit should be plenty

As it's not cross-gen they could use a 100GB disc. It's about time one game uses that storage capacity on PS5.

the scheduled chapters in this livestream. gameplay video. trial version. PC version information. campaign information. more info

1673953439752.png

• interesting that (small amounts of) popins and stutters are still in the intro level
  • foul language used is KUSO (shit, instead of fuck)
  • wooden lip sync in japanese too!
  • the nauseating fish-eye-lens menu has been toned down, but to me it still looks nauseating
  • it still have loading screen
  • indoors still look weird (or im simply too accustomed with RT)
  • 1673954670207.png
  • no "iconic battle music" swooping while the camera change from cutscene to boss battle.

PC version
  • Ultrawide
  • KB+M or controller
  • SAMSUNG SSD for super fast loading (why samsung? paid by samsung?)
  • FSR 2 support (no DLSS2? should be able to swap FSR dll with DSLL dll right?)
1673955305097.png

1673955467685.png

yeah seems sponsoderd by samsung

1673955789647.png

huh also on epic

1673956098312.png

Last edited:
The game looks less impressive than Horizon Zero Dawn. Lighting looks flat. And there isnt much color either

FmrHfk9XoAIPxVy

Update of the PS5 demo today

the scheduled chapters in this livestream. gameplay video. trial version. PC version information. campaign information. more info

View attachment 8119

• interesting that (small amounts of) popins and stutters are still in the intro level
  • foul language used is KUSO (shit, instead of fuck)
  • wooden lip sync in japanese too!
  • the nauseating fish-eye-lens menu has been toned down, but to me it still looks nauseating
  • it still have loading screen
  • indoors still look weird (or im simply too accustomed with RT)
  • View attachment 8120
  • no "iconic battle music" swooping while the camera change from cutscene to boss battle.

PC version
  • Ultrawide
  • KB+M or controller
  • SAMSUNG SSD for super fast loading (why samsung? paid by samsung?)
  • FSR 2 support (no DLSS2? should be able to swap FSR dll with DSLL dll right?)

View attachment 8122

yeah seems sponsoderd by samsung

View attachment 8123

huh also on epic

View attachment 8124

Those specs are bizarre. Why the hell would you need 32GB RAM AND a 16GB GPU AND an NVMe SDD.

And recommending EITHER a 4080 or 6800XT for max graphics LMFAO.

Those specs are bizarre. Why the hell would you need 32GB RAM AND a 16GB GPU AND an NVMe SDD.

And recommending EITHER a 4080 or 6800XT for max graphics LMFAO.

It's an AMD sponsored game. AMD's 4k marketed product stack will likely all have 16GB of VRAM or more. I can see this game requiring 16GB of VRAM for 4k with max textures, ala how some other games required 12GB or more when that was AMD's 4k stack (eg. Godfall, Farcry 6, etc.).

Some of it may also just be optics as well in terms of presenting the products. The CPU spec listings are slanted towards AMD over Intel too.

Also I believe they've only ever presented leveraging DirectStorage for loading times? It's not inherently given that DirectStorage (or a NVMe SSD requirement) would lower system memory/video memory requirements. At this point I don't know if people should assume that DirectStorage (even with Sampler Feedback) will inherently lower memory (either pool) requirements on the PC.

Last edited:
Back