Formula 1 - The Eco Friendly Motorsport!

109 + 109 is 218.

I think even if both McLarens didn't get any points from the last race they still would've had more points than Ferrari.

Yep, but you forget that Mclaren had points reducted even before the spying verdict came in, If I remember correctly it was the Hungarian race with the pit stop incident.

edit: just checked it, Mclaren pilots placed 1st and 4th in the Hungarian GP, which is 15 points. 218-15=203p, which is one less, than what Ferrari got.

stevem: you're right, modern ECU's calculate the ignition in a 2-5ms task. And nowadays there is as much code as in the windows kernel, also moved away from PowerPC-based ECU's to TriCore, which is about as fast as a good 486 or a low-end Pentium. So you can really do much stuff with it.

Hamilton may have hit a button, Ron is saying it wasn't what made his car go into neutral.

I doubt McLaren fitted a "put it in neutral for 30 seconds" button on the steering wheel.

He may have hit the button that puts it in neutral, but not being able to get it back into gear straight away suggests there was a problem.

First he dropped to 8th after making an error trying to overtake Alonso. Then he had the gearbox issue which dropped him down to 18th.

Yep I watched the race twice, and I'm still pretty sure what I said is true. He dropped to 18th got the power back and then after a short while he lost it again for a moment. I'm not talking about the corner four incident here.

:oops:

I have to take that comment back. Apparently the second time, which I saw was a replay footage, there was no replay signs on the TV and also the Finnish commentators in two separate broadcasts were fooled by it, me too.

Yes, the Brazilian director wasn't putting any replay symbols up - there were multiple moments throughout that coverage where you though "Hang on...".

Interesting stuff, _xxx_. So the latest 32-bit ECUs with "micro-hybrid" controllers like the latest Bosch Motronic ME9.6 are Infineon TriCore (RISC/CISC/DSP) instead of Freescale MPC5500? The penny dropped. I guess quite apart from things like continuously variable timing & torque based engine control, you need I/O from an array of sensors as well as network ability for multiple microcontroller systems. Can't do that in a 32k ROM anymore. What's really impressive is the level of autonomic & end-user configurability in the systems. Better than having an engine tuner in the trunk - just press the M button... Just one thing I hate - cam phasing used for emissions reduction - booo...!

Its funny that while you have many Alonso supporters, and even Ferrari, saying that McLaren lost it because they weren't working as a team and should have supported Alonso better, its actually Briatore (probably Alonso's biggest fan) and states what is probably closer to the reality of what should have happened and suggests that McLaren should have benched Alonso for the last two races:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071023160628.shtml

Had they had an under control teammate in the last two races then they wouldn't have felt the need to "race Alonso" in China and would have had Hamilton in the pits earlier, and they probably wouldn't have had his team mate challenging him at the start of the race at Brazil.

Of course, with the FIA breathing down their neck McLaren had their hands tied on that option, so they were stuck with an uncooperative team mate that didn't want to see the title go to someone in his own team.

unnecessary reply, mods delete at your leisure

Last edited by a moderator:
Alonso's other option would be to sit-out the season before moving to Ferrari in 2009.
The Scuderia's new world champion Kimi Raikkonen is locked in until 2009, and the team also recently signed an extension to Felipe Massa's contract until 2010, but this may not be enough to keep the Brazilian's seat safe should Alonso become available.
Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo praised Alonso to the Italian press on Monday, describing him as "a world class driver in every sense".
emphasis mine

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41173

Can this be a sign that di Montezemolo is campaigning for the hiring of Alonso? Fiat certainly has the deep pockets to buy him out of the contract.

Fiat certainly has the deep pockets to buy him out of the contract.

So does Toyota though, I must say that after I heard Briatores comment about benching Alonso, I got the feeling that Fernando is not heading to Renault. Ferrari imo does not need him, but I think Alonsos strong character and experience could maybe probel Toyota work very hard and actually manage to get some success, I also think they would quarantee Alonso to have a clear number one status among their drivers, which he seems to like :LOL:

I have no doubts Toyota is and has been working very hard, and maybe Alonso could bring some setup and testing expertise to Toyota, expertise that they may have been lacking.

I think the main opposition to Alonso going to Ferrari is Todt, he has been heard many times stating that Alonso will never drive a Ferrari F1 as long as he is in charge, but I have no doubts Todt would have to bow down if di Montezemolo ups the pressure. I would not be surprised to see Todt leave the F1 management position and focus entirely on the running of Ferrari as CEO.

Exciting days.

And if it wasn't a gearbox issue, it would quite clearly have been a sensor/software problem. Hitting the launch button while travelling well over 100MPH shouldn't send the car into neutral.

Cheers

Definitely not a sensor problem, there are fallback default strategies if a sensor dies implemented in every ECU.

Interesting stuff, _xxx_. So the latest 32-bit ECUs with "micro-hybrid" controllers like the latest Bosch Motronic ME9.6 are Infineon TriCore (RISC/CISC/DSP) instead of Freescale MPC5500?

Nope, ME9.x are still MPC555 based, that's old stuff :) now ME17.x is all the rage for direct injection. That's Tricore 1766 or 1796 depending on memory footprint and clockspeed needed.

The penny dropped. I guess quite apart from things like continuously variable timing & torque based engine control, you need I/O from an array of sensors as well as network ability for multiple microcontroller systems. Can't do that in a 32k ROM anymore. What's really impressive is the level of autonomic & end-user configurability in the systems. Better than having an engine tuner in the trunk - just press the M button... Just one thing I hate - cam phasing used for emissions reduction - booo...!

What I hate is the secondary air pump. Just used on startup to basically thin the exhaust so the emissions are kept within boundaries, no other use whatsoever. Say thanks to CA regulations ;)

"Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo praised Alonso to the Italian press on Monday, describing him as "a world class driver in every sense"."

What!!!
He was knowingly using data stolen from your company - you nugget

Hamilton's mistake captured?
Hamilton's wheel:
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diapoa630wn0.jpg
"N" stands reportedly for Neutral on gearbox:
hamilton_screws_up.gif

Back