Formula 1 - The Eco Friendly Motorsport!

BZB, expected? By whom? If someone's fast, he's simply fast, that's it. Villeneuve did it, Hamilton does it and in the end the fastest man wins. It's not ike a newbie shouldn't win right away. If he can, all the power to him.

F1 drivers, even those that have come up from the feeder series are expected to do at least a year or two in one of the lesser teams or as a F1 test driver. The fact that Hamilton was given a F1 seat in a competitive car/team in his first year was a surprise. The fact that he's doing so well is an even bigger surprise. A lot of people didn't like that, as it made F1 success look easy.

There's been a lot of impressive feeder series drivers come into F1 and just not done well. Even with a decent car, the pressure gets to them.

you could probably put alot of F1 drivers in the mclaren's and watch them have success

Excluding Sir Frank, they're basicly saying he's good driver in a good team doing good, Williams is doing what you said, though.
They, like everyone else, saw Hamilton handing it to the two time World Champ most of the season in an identical car.

All of the comments allude to him being something special, Frank just went a bit further (which isn't just lip service as he hates Denis and McLaren I recall)

Many drivers have started in a fast car and finished nowhere in a season, Hamilton has definitely got something special about him.

you could probably put alot of F1 drivers in the mclaren's and watch them have success

I know it looks like that, but that's unfortunately far from the truth. The driver makes or brakes it. Those many millions for top drivers are not just out of pure love, trust me.

BZB, expected? By whom? If someone's fast, he's simply fast, that's it. Villeneuve did it, Hamilton does it and in the end the fastest man wins. It's not ike a newbie shouldn't win right away. If he can, all the power to him.

Villeneuve did come in and nearly win in his first year (just as Hamilton nearly did), but he was the reigning CART champion, so expectations were somewhat higher.

Don't you remember all the comments when Hamilton got the Mclaren seat? Everyone was saying what a mistake it was, how it he was going to be lucky just to hang onto the seat. How he'd crumble under the pressure like so many drivers, how he'd make major mistakes all over the place. No one thought Hamilton would be leading the championship and doing as well as the double world champion.

Then there's been a lot of grumbling and bad mouthing behind the scenes, especially with people outside of the Mclaren team giving the (especially Italian and Spanish) sporting press lots of comment to inflame the situation.

Hamilton and Mclaren has been crucified in the Spanish and Italian press, not because he's been showing up Alonso (because no one could be just faster than Alonso to them). It's always been that Alonso's been hamstrung and sabotaged by Mclaren because they want Hamilton to win.

It's all very well saying "the fastest man wins", but this year has shown above all what a political sport F1 is, and there were a lot of vested interests not wanting the rookie to come in and wipe the floor with the incumbents. In the same way that there were lots of changes and politics for years when Schumacher was winning everything and "making the sport boring", key people didn't want Hamilton to come in and be bigger than the sport itself, or show how someone with no F1 experience could do better than everyone else.

Ecclestone: McLaren cost Lewis Hamilton title

"Ron gave Raikkonen the championship," Ecclestone said. "If they hadn't called Hamilton in for that silly low fuel and soft tyres stint he could have won the championship.

"He made no time on the road and lost 25 seconds making the stop. If he had only lost 15 seconds he would have been fourth."
[ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/10/25/umsport125.xml ]
Hehe , I wonder how much this cost to him ... I think it's a lot of cash...

I've never seen statements like this b4 from the head of a sport ... You ever seen similar statements from David Stern , " silly team selection by Avery Johnson cost Mavericks NBA championship " ?..

BTW , Hamilton was lucky this season , rookie luck ... He was on the cokpit of the best car [ thanks to Nigel Stepney ] ... I don't know if any other rookies got that chance , I don't remember ... He's good but overrated imo ...

It's all very well saying "the fastest man wins", but this year has shown above all what a political sport F1 is, and there were a lot of vested interests not wanting the rookie to come in and wipe the floor with the incumbents.
yea,yea, a rookie with personal crane to lift him and only him if he goes off.
Someone like Kubica tries to overtake him? Punish that arrogant asshole!
Of course if in similar situation another driver is involved, this is nothing to talk about .
Blocking Kimi's fast lap in Brasil? "Oh, sorry, the mirrors were trembling, I had no idea" - fine, LH is good boy
Making too many changes in trajectory before first turn? - no problem
Gaining position cutting the shikane? - wait it wasn't his fault... except if another pilot does the same he's punished.

You may believe LH is best driver ever, and in fact, maybe he is. Fact is also he was overhyped, PR-ed to death and through whole season, somehow, FIA always judged in his favour. :rolleyes:

It was like watching how Big Brother tells us who has to win.
Everyone has the right to decide if likes what the BB says or not.

chavvdarr, Lewis surely IS one of the best drivers out there. And FYI, Ferrari still builds better cars, this from a Mercedes employee (I know my boss isn't reading this, so whatever :devilish:)

You may believe LH is best driver ever, and in fact, maybe he is. Fact is also he was overhyped, PR-ed to death and through whole season, somehow, FIA always judged in his favour. :rolleyes:
Absolute rubbish.

He was hyped based on his performances, heck it wasn't until about 3 races in that ITV started their hype machine, when it became pretty obvious to everyone he is the real deal.

You need to learn that in life, when something good/refreshing pops up, lots of people tend to jump on the band wagon quickly and with force.

It was the same when Alonso first started beating Schumacher, people would still like him now if it wasn't for the fact he's shown himself to be the biggest prick in F1 for years.

LH is good, no one's saying he's not. But he is sooo overhyped by the British media.
It's so typical of them...the same thing happened not too long ago with Rooney in football.

He was on the cokpit of the best car [ thanks to Nigel Stepney ] ... ..

That would be the car that was fast when the Ferrari was slow and slow when the Ferrari was quick would it ? Not bad for apparently a copy according to some folk.

Absolute rubbish.
Thats your opinion. My opinion is different, tho I won't call yours "rubbish" :p
Besides, do you deny the facts I mentioned, like that when identical accidents happened only the driver stupid enough to try overtaking Hamilton was penalyzed?
A straight yes or no will be fine :devilish:

I disagree with just about everything you say on the topic, so you should already know the answer to that.

I didn't watch that race as it happens so I do not recall the incident you mention or the other "identical" one you are referring to.

Anyway, when you are in front, you have the right of way. If you remember a few years ago Montoya was done for taking someone out when trying to overtake them (I think it was at Indy) so you cannot say no one has ever been penalised for it.

I know it looks like that, but that's unfortunately far from the truth. The driver makes or brakes it. Those many millions for top drivers are not just out of pure love, trust me.

when you see mclaren's and ferrari's smoking other cars in strait-away's... you kinda stop believing that it's all driver skill...

I'm not saying hamilton sucks, or some of the bottom level drivers would be instant success... but they would definitely be more competitive than driving their toyota's(other than scott speed... god he was terrible)

It's not that simple, put Kimi, Lewis, Alonso, Schumacher, whatever, to a mediocore team, and you can be damn sure they're not winning races left and right there.

I don't think that is the case.

Benneton were mediocre, so where Renault (judging by the pace of team mates relative to Schumacher and Alonso)

I don't think that is the case.

Benneton were mediocre, so where Renault (judging by the pace of team mates relative to Schumacher and Alonso)

They were doing quite fine, even if not as good as their team mates. There's no doubt that Fisichella or Massa for example aren't as good as their team mates were, but they still did quite fine. Remember when Mika Salo replaced Schumacher for a while on Ferrari? He did damn fine, would have won without team telling him to let Irvine pass for example, but he's nowhere near the level of the said drivers

Of course the driver skills matter, Lewis, Kimi, Alonso etc are above most of the other drivers, but that's only one thing.
Look for example Alonso & Kimi when they didn't drive in as good teams as they did - they weren't winning races - they only did when they got to good team - Lewis is an exception to this due the simple fact that he started on a top team.

edit:
Let's take as an example Schumacher on Benetton - during 1994 he was way beyond his team mates - exactly they had total of 3 drivers driving besides Schumacher that season, JJ Lehto, Jos Verstappen and Johnny Herbert - so no doubt that he was way higher on points than those.
However, on 1995 season, when Johnny Herbert drove the whole season as Schumachers team mate, he ended up 4th on the drivers championship, right after the 2 Williams's

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that simple, put Kimi, Lewis, Alonso, Schumacher, whatever, to a mediocore team, and you can be damn sure they're not winning races left and right there.

And put Weber or Coulthard in the Ferrari or McLaren and they still won't win anything. Now what? :)

It's all about those last 1-2% percent, not more than that but that suffices to discern between winners and losers.

Back