Forbes: X360 to launch with 2 versions?

Titanio

Legend
Analysts analysts
icon_rolleyes.gif
;)

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/08/05/microsoft-xbox-launch-0805markets05.html?partner=yahootix

Expects 1.6m units to ship worldwide by the end of the year, also:

Microsoft also would not provide specific pricing information about the Xbox 360, but Piper Jaffray expects Microsoft will make one unit available at $299, and another unit near $399, with the more expensive unit including "additional hardware components (e.g., hard-drive option, extra controller, memory option) that core users will likely buy anyway."

Seems an awful lot like the original rumours around X360, pre-E3. I'm kinda not sure that'll happen myself though..I'm somewhat doubtful they're basing that on something "they've heard", but you never know.

Should be less than 2 weeks till we find out for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
That would just be a bad thing.
The wonder of consoles is that they are fixed hardware, change that, and you end up almost like a PC, devs will only code for the least common denominator, ie the least speced version, and they would be right.

I say keep consoles as they are : fixed hardware, no options. Either it's here from the start, or it's not and will never be. (though that's not the case anymore, modems are optional and so are harddrive, still it's clustering the market)

well I can't imagine the Hard Drive being an "option" at the 20 gig size. The 20 gig HDD will be in the $299 sku for sure as MS has announced. (if this speculation comes to fruition)

If they do this, my guess would be the 40 gig or larger HDD and the other options included in a bundle would not be out of the question at a higher price.

I would rather see the bundle include HD-DVD drive though, ;)

interesting.

Well it'd really just be like having an optional harddisk. It wouldn't be "splitting the market" any more than Sony is. And MS has said that games cannot require the HDD, but can use them.

Then again, I thought I was sure MS had at one point said there'd only be one pricepoint for X360.

edit - and true, I guess they could have an option with an increased HDD..

Wouldn't be anything drastic

Wouldn't surprise me if you had the already announced version at $299, and a $399 version, a value pack, with a bigger harddrive, 2 controllers, camera, and wireless add-on.

I just think they're probably wrong though. I'm leaning one 360, HDD included, for around the ~$300 price point.

McHuj said:
Wouldn't surprise me if you had the already announced version at $299, and a $399 version, a value pack, with a bigger harddrive, 2 controllers, camera, and wireless add-on.

yep that's what I was trying to say.

Would be good for the people that want the bigger HDD but would feel slighted if they had to buy the 20 gig version (in the $299 package) just to sit it on a shelf when they upgraded to the larger optional HDD.

Tap In said:
yep that's what I was trying to say.

Would be good for the people that want the bigger HDD but would feel slighted if they had to buy the 20 gig version (in the $299 package) just to sit it on a shelf when they upgraded to the larger optional HDD.

Many people already have a >20 gig drive collecting dust. It would be smart if Microsoft would sell some versions without a HD.

Titanio said:
snip
And MS has said that games cannot require the HDD, but can use them.
...snip

true but I'm speculating that they must have that plan in place simply because the HDD is "snap in-snap out" removable. that statement is a protection of game error for cases where a user has it removed.

Imagine if you loaned the HDD to your buddy for him to play off of your game saves or downloads but you still want to play the machine while it's removed.

If this is true. I would reckon the $399 version would come with HD-DVD drive for movie playback, or a larger harddrive with Tivo functions installed. ;)

And only 1.6 million shipped??? Jesus! There is going to be a shortage out of this world for these things! :oops:

Hardknock said:
If this is true. I would reckon the $399 version would come with HD-DVD drive for movie playback, or a larger harddrive with Tivo functions installed. ;)

And only 1.6 million shipped??? Jesus! There is going to be a shortage out of this world for these things! :oops:

That's normal, there's bound to be shortages, and in a sense it's good for MS, it raises demand, though they don't have much time till PS3 comes out so they should try to get as many units out there as they before PS3 comes out and keep a steady flow.

Believe it or not used to work for PiperJaffray and their analyst were still telling peple to buy airline stock when I left I don't put to much faith in anything they know. The average internet forum gamer probably knows more about the industry that they do.

I'm still going for just one version at launch, with maybe another version introduced later in the life. If there are going to be two versions, then which version did people pre-order? I'm not saying it's not possible for there still to be two versions under such a situation, but it seems improbable. There would have to be some means of differentiating between the two in a possible pre-order, supply constrained environment, otherwise people may not even know what they signed up to purchase, creating a possible logistical mess in the supply-chain.

london-boy said:
That's normal, there's bound to be shortages, and in a sense it's good for MS, it raises demand, though they don't have much time till PS3 comes out so they should try to get as many units out there as they before PS3 comes out and keep a steady flow.

Yeah, it was a certainty that there would be shortages. But 1.6 million worldwide. That is going to hurt them more than help them. They could easily sell 2.5 - 3 million WW by the end of the year.

Hardknock said:
Yeah, it was a certainty that there would be shortages. But 1.6 million worldwide. That is going to hurt them more than help them. They could easily sell 2.5 - 3 million WW by the end of the year.

Oh, yes 1.6M worldwide isn't much in 3/4 months. That leaves X360 with a very small userbase and only another 4-5 months to sell a lot more before PS3 comes out. Though i'm quite sure Sony will have just as many problems getting enough PS3s ready for launch.

xbdestroya said:
I'm still going for just one version at launch, with maybe another version introduced later in the life. If there are going to be two versions, then which version did people pre-order? I'm not saying it's not possible for there still to be two versions under such a situation, but it seems improbable. There would have to be some means of differentiating between the two in a possible pre-order, supply constrained environment, otherwise people may not even know what they signed up to purchase, creating a possible logistical mess in the supply-chain.

I agree

I doubt the "upgraded" bundle will be released at launch but probably following later.

Tap In said:
I agree

I doubt the "upgraded" bundle will be released at launch but probably following later.

I think it's speculation not so much of an "upgraded" or "tiered" hardware issue, but of just making a "value" bundle that includes things that will be available anyway. Just like the PSP.

It's just another way of a manufacturer getting guaranteed money when supplies are limited.

3roxor said:
Many people already have a >20 gig drive collecting dust. It would be smart if Microsoft would sell some versions without a HD.
Just to clairify it for you. The HDD in the xbox360 is 2.5" (aka. laptop drive). Most people don't have laptop drives just sitting around. You're thinking about 3.5" drives (aka. desktop drives).

McHuj said:
Although I seriously doubt they'll have a second SKU (maybe until the PS3 comes out or later) adding all of that would be the only thing to get people to spend an extra 100 on the console.

Tap In said:
I agree

That's the last thing MS would want to go around the internet. MS wants as many people as possible to buy the xbox 360 before Sony launches the PS3 and that's not going to happen if there's a better xbox 360 around the corner. If this turns out to be true alot of people is going to hold their purchase until later on and might just get a PS3 instead if it's more appealing to them at the time.

london-boy said:
Oh, yes 1.6M worldwide isn't much in 3/4 months. That leaves X360 with a very small userbase and only another 4-5 months to sell a lot more before PS3 comes out. Though i'm quite sure Sony will have just as many problems getting enough PS3s ready for launch.

If the US launch only a few days before the UK launch (november 25) then its really like 1.6 million in 38 days...

Back