MS could ship 3 million Xbox2 by december?

When I said 'straight losses,' I meant ending the generation with losses rather than profits. If XBox 2 doesn't turn decidedly profitable during this generation, be that in it's last year or whenever, I don't see there being an XBox 3

I think xbox 2 will be a success strait out . The first holiday they have to themselves as the only next gen system which will sell alot of systems eps if there is only a 100 price diffrence. IT will sell well , i think they have a really strong brand name now and i think they have a good base of about 10 million people who will only pick up the xbox 2 out of the next gen system , which is alot less than i think sony has (i think 30 million or so will pick up only a sony system) but its not bad .

Well, I hope it's better RAM than that.
gddr 700mhz is 1400 effective or lets put it this way , my x800xt pe has 660mhz gddr ram , at the time it cost 500$ and all it was , was the chip and ram .

karlotta said:
Why? would they quit? They dont want to loose money, but its about being in every livingroom, they can "loose" a few billion over a long long time.

And can you tell me why being in every living room is important in and of itself? If you can't turn it into a profitable business, it's not. XBox isn't some sort of advertising campaign for the larger Microsoft brand - it's a business, and they'll be looking to turn it profitable this generation.

Also, XBox 2 will NOT be using off the shelf memory; at least not what you think of in terms of going to a store and buying RAM. My own theory is GDDR3. It WILL be using more widely produced memory, but I'm sure Sony's pricing isn't all bad on the XDR front either, seeing as how they are basically the preeminent customer for XDR.

jvd said:
I think xbox 2 will be a success strait out . The first holiday they have to themselves as the only next gen system which will sell alot of systems eps if there is only a 100 price diffrence. IT will sell well , i think they have a really strong brand name now and i think they have a good base of about 10 million people who will only pick up the xbox 2 out of the next gen system , which is alot less than i think sony has (i think 30 million or so will pick up only a sony system) but its not bad .

You could very well be right with your estimates.

gddr 700mhz is 1400 effective or lets put it this way , my x800xt pe has 660mhz gddr ram , at the time it cost 500$ and all it was , was the chip and ram .

Well, I was talking about it's 'effective' speed, but I see we're talking about the same thing, just in different ways.

Why? would they quit? They dont want to loose money, but its about being in every livingroom, they can "loose" a few billion over a long long time.

What would you consider a 'long long time'?

I remember posting in a thread on the ign boards suggesting 3 million units would be the ideal number of consoles to have available during the launch window and people ate me alive...well seems like some people don't think its that bad an idea lol.

Comparing us to IGN! :oops:

Heresy!

well, in any case with the pricing, I probably won't be getting one until it's less than $299 CDN ;)

jvd said:

But video cards are sold just to make money on the hardware. Consoles are sold to make money off the games, and are often even solde for a loss. You'll never see a video card sold for a loss!

BOOMEXPLODE said:
jvd said:

But video cards are sold just to make money on the hardware. Consoles are sold to make money off the games, and are often even solde for a loss. You'll never see a video card sold for a loss!

No i haven't , I also doubt a video card has a 400$ mark up .

The ram is alot of money. THe ram isn't 10$ where they can throw in as much as they want . I would actually say that ram is one of the most expensive parts of the system

Let's see if we can put some perspective on it all. Amazingly with all this talk about RAM pricing, I'd forgotten that I'd read some information relevent to this very conversation topic. How recently had I read it? Today and yesterday. Something about your last post jvd got the gears in my head turning.

Anyway, I know there are some anti-Inquirer folk on this site, but that being said I think this information is intriguing at the very least; it seems more or less legit and it applies directly. Keep in mind when reading that this memory is lower-grade stuff than whatever Microsoft would use.

...We got the numbers reflecting ATI's X600PRO PCIe card based on the RV370 core. ATI is getting $59.00 dollars for the chip. Nvidia was selling NV36 + BR2 bridge for just a dollar less. This card uses eight memory chips clocked and priced at $3.90 per piece. This makes the total cost of memory to $31.20 for a whole pack of 128MB of 128 bit memory...

...We are talking here about the cost of a PCX 5750 card based on bridged Geforce 5750 core. At that time, a few months back, the GPU chip itself cost $58 and that was by far the most expensive part of each graphic card.

The PCB (printed circuit board) in this case cost $13.40, but the most expensive stuff is the memory. In this case Nvidia used 128 bit memory clocked at 500MHz and it used 8Mx16 chips. The total number of chips is eight, and each chip costs $3.50 so that's $28...

Link

and

Link

factor in that is most likely ddr 2 ram which is less expensive and its not a new cutting edge speed bin of ram

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewt...ions&sid=8585fc19e588f51ad9995d041d2c7162
rabidrabbit said:
xbox will be a success, in Japan and the rest of the world.
I'm sure MS will do everything it'll be reported a success.
You'll see, there'll be headlines like:

"xbox2 launch exceeded our expectations in Japan, says J Allard"
"xbox2 sold out in Japan in it's first week, says J Allard"
"Analyst predicts xbox2 could take the no1 position in Japan"
"People love the xbox2 microtrancactions , says J Allard"
"Developers love the xbox2 microtransactions, says J Allard"
"xbox2 is the best selling next gen console in christmas 2005"
"We'll be shipping 5 million xbox2 consoles to Japan in 1st quarter of 2005, says J Allard"
"Japanese love the xbox2 microtransactions, says J allard"
What?? The analyst is wrong!!!!!!!!

The interesting thing should be that they can ship that number, meaning that production, packaging and distribution must be able to move out that many units by that time. So I guess production must start... when?

@rabidrabbit: I trust the analyst more than Allard, quite frankly.

@passerby: I wouldn't be surprised if production hasn't already begun, or was about to.

london-boy said:
"xbox2 is the best selling next gen console in christmas 2005"

Or maybe the only selling console at xmas 2005? ;)

It may still be the best selling console in 2006

Think about it

IF it launches in 2005 at 300$ it will be the best selling next gen system even if it only sells 1 unit

IN 2006 against the ns5 and ps3 it can drop in the middle of hte prices or mabye even be the cheapest . IT will also have hte biggest library and most likely the most polished games coming out that year on the whole .

IT will also be the least likely to have supply issues that year .

Shifty Geezer said:
Has a next-gen console ever outsold a current-gen console at release?
Can't remember it :oops:, but X-Box and PS2 sold each around 1.5 mio last x-mas ... not that hard to beat, I think PS2 moved around 1 mio at its launch, but was withheld by hardware shortage.

Back