MS Expects to Sell 3M Xboxes within first 90 days

blakjedi said:
The thread (and the post) could have ended right there. This is the only answer.
Answer to what? The thread was supposedly talking about MS launching with 3M consoles.

Hardknock said:
Yep. Just imagine if MS hadn't turned down publishing GTA3 ;)

I'm not sure that was a bad idea for MS.

Sure it cost them a lot in game sales and Xbox sales, but in the grand scheme of things these are just side-projects for MS. I'm not sure that publishing GTA would have helped their overall corporate image.

They might have found some current corporate customers would be looking for alternative software if MS had published GTA. As much as I would like to dismiss them, there are a lot of ultra-conservatives out there would push for a boycott of all MS products if they had published GTA, and it doesn't take too many copies of Office XP to make up for the lack of GTA sales.

london-boy said:
Gee Guden, that was 22 bloody years ago!! (I'M 23!!)
That's almost as bad as the car engine comparisons that keep coming up on the forum!!
Why should anything have changed just because some time has changed? Assuming the biggest library automatically will mean victory is a fundamentally flawed reasoning now as it was in '83...

What the heck is all this childish "win" - "lose" crap mean. These terms don't usually apply well to product markets that support mutliple players. Has Ford "Won"? Should Chevrolet stop selling cars and trucks or vice-versa? Get a grip people.

The console market has and will continue to support more than one major player, unless you think the market will shrink as a whole and I don't see that happening.

Besides, the only real gauge by which any should be measured is exactly how much profit each system brings to the manufacturer. I don't think we have direct access to those number so arguing about it is pointless. It doesn't matter if they only sold 1 console if they made money and the company that sold 50 million didn't even recoup their R&D costs.

Berak said:
What the heck is all this childish "win" - "lose" crap mean. These terms don't usually apply well to product markets that support mutliple players. Has Ford "Won"? Should Chevrolet stop selling cars and trucks or vice-versa?

Ask Coleco, or Intellivision, or Magnovox, or 3DO, or Atari, or Sega what the "win-lose" crap means.

If cars were like consoles, then Chevy fuel requirements would not be compatible with Ford's. Then Chevron may have an exclusive with Ford, while Shell would make multi brands. If there were 90 million Chevys on the road vs 10 million Fords, Shell would allocate more pump stations for Chevys. Eventually if everyone stopped supporting Ford, they would have to close shop .. unless they were propped up by an insanely rich geek.

Shifty Geezer said:
How's about next time someone needs an analogy, they go with Baseball/Soccer teams for a change?

He who scores the most homeruns ( like GTA, Jak and Dexter, DMC, MGS, FF) will win.

Phew! That was easy.

Powderkeg said:
Ask Coleco, or Intellivision, or Magnovox, or 3DO, or Atari, or Sega what the "win-lose" crap means.

If you honestly think Microsoft or Sony will abandon the games console market this far in to a booming industry then you obviously don't have a grasp of the market.

Berak said:
If you honestly think Microsoft or Sony will abandon the games console market this far in to a booming industry then you obviously don't have a grasp of the market.

Let me spell it out for you, neither of them (or Nintendo for that matter) are going to "lose". All systems will sell and make money in the long run. The only question is how much money they will make.

Shifty Geezer said:
Answer to what? The thread was supposedly talking about MS launching with 3M consoles.

The answer to MS' elusive goal of gaining further traction in the market and selling through all planned 3M consoles. A woman once gave me wisdom she said "If your fishing and the fish dont take the bait, nothings wrong with the fish, somethings wrong with the bait." Now of course we were really talking about women but... some analogies are universal - as long as there are fish (and women) on your planet! :p

Same applies here to MS. Its not the gamers who are wrong for buying any other console instead of a xbox or x360, its that the games being sold for it dont appeal to a wide enough audience for some reason. Note that this is futurespeak and not any condemnation of the system as it stands.

Back