PS3 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipo

Veteran
Analysts have warned that the release of the PS3 could backfire on gaming giant Sony Computer Entertainment, bringing the Sony subsidiary to its knees. Merrill Lynch Japan has stated it expects Sony to lose more than $1 billion on hardware manufacturing alone during its next-gen console's first 12 months on sale, a figure that may prove unrecoverable.

Merrill Lynch Japan Securities, quoted in the latest issue of Toyo Keizai, states that it expects core production costs of PlayStation 3 to be around $500, with the machine likely to ship at $399 – equating to a loss of around $1.18 billion in the first year the machine goes on sale. It should be noted that these losses are based purely on manufacturing costs and do not factor in the colossal marketing budget SCE has undoubtedly prepped for it's next home console launch.

Merrill Lynch warns that these losses would normally be absorbed with ease by Sony as it has previously entered markets lacking any serious competition. This time however, it will put a new machine on sale, its most expensive to date, to consumers who, in the West, have shown eager acceptance of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and a worldwide audience showing interest in Nintendo's budget innovation machine. Analysts warn that should Microsoft cut the price of Xbox 360 when Sony launches, the entire project could backfire. Should consumers be tempted with a next-generation console at a budget price, complete with a significant library of high-quality software and the option to augment this with something new, as offered by Nintendo, Sony might find its space under televisions around the world, its own for more than a decade, has been usurped.

Toyo Keizai goes on to publish comment from SCE head Ken Kutaragi, who understandably refutes MLDS' analysis; "Whether consumers think a product is expensive or cheap all depends on the balance between its appeal and price," said Kutaragi, again hinting that the PlayStation 3 may indeed be a pricy piece of kit. "Our idea is for consumers to think to themselves, 'Right, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what. When Nintendo was selling its 16-bit machine at around 12,500 yen ($114), we sold the first PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($364). The press was saying that it was expensive, but it was a huge hit. It's the same thing with the PlayStation Portable from last year. The Game Boy Advance is a similar handheld gaming machine, and it costs less than 10 thousand yen ($91). On the other hand, our PSP had cost 25,000 yen ($229). And there were people lined up overnight to buy it, and it sold out on the day of launch. It all depends on whether people want it. Of course, I'm confident that PlayStation 3 is a product that people will definitely want."

More @ http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=9421

I do feel Spong sounds a bit anti-Sony lately.

Having said that, I wonder what Sony will announce in terms of pricing. Will Howard bite the bullet? It will be interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Spong + The Inquirer, the two dumbest sites on the internet, and they both get posted here...

:(

Edit; this "news" is also from...wait for it...June 28. Regurgitating old news is sad on everyones behalf who have picked up this story recently (WTF internet). Some of the price predictions were ridiculous then and are ridiculous now.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/28/news_6128295.html

Last edited by a moderator:
So they claim Sony will lose $1.18 billion because they lose $100 on every unit. Thus, they think Sony will ship 12 million units in one year? Wow, that would be a major win for Sony.

Other people are claiming MS loses $126 per XB360, and they already lost major bucks on XBOX1, despite losing the console war round 1.

If Sony attaches 4 games and 8 Sony Picture/MGM over the lifetime of the unit, they will erase the loss, as well as having won two wars: the console war and the next-gen DVD format war.

What most people don't seem to understand wrt PS3 launch is that Sony, unlike Microsoft, doesn't want to make the PS3 appear mainstream. The PS2 should. As such, all they need to do is make the INTIIAL price based on how much they feel it could be while still managing to sell out their stock very rapidly. And when you've got, say, one million consoles on launch day, $500 is a perfectly fine price.
Furthermore, the higher price makes it feel more technologically advanced to some people, so the XBox360 can reduce its price as much as it wants, all that'd do is attract another kind of market to it - the PS3 launch market would remain untouched.
It can also be expected that considering such a strategy, the goal would be to reduce the price rapidly after 6 months, so as to reach the XBox360's price by Q2 2007 or so.

Sony knows they can't handle a large loss with the PS3. I think $1B is a massive exageration though, even for a $399 launch; those numbers are way off and badly retarded, in addition to being outdated. And as I said above, $399 is slightly off too afaik, according to what I've heard, but plans can always change I guess... (roadmap indicated a $449 launch, basic idea being to break even with the 2-3 first games people buy, I guess).

Uttar

Lysander said:
I think costs for ps3 will be higher than 500$. MS has for 360 premium 126$ loss per unit, that is 525$ of manufacturing costs.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051122_410710.htm
Thats including accessories, and even then, I doubt it.

Uttar said:
What most people don't seem to understand wrt PS3 launch is that Sony, unlike Microsoft, doesn't want to make the PS3 appear mainstream.
I don't think thats the case. Sony simply want to make the greatest profit they can, like MS, so they'll strategise around that. If $299 achieves that, it'll be $299, same with $399, $499.

Why are we discussing an 6-month old article?

Well unlike MS sony makes their graphics card in their own factories, and the cell too. (atleast the 65nm version)
Wouldn't that be cheaper for them?
I'd guess the BD-ROM too, and the harddrive?

Nicked said:
Spong + The Inquirer, the two dumbest sites on the internet, and they both get posted here...

:(

As long as they don't make up the quotes... Which they clearly didn't do in this article.

I didn't know it was old though. Sorry 'bout that.

weaksauce said:
Well unlike MS sony makes their graphics card in their own factories, and the cell too. (atleast the 65nm version)
Wouldn't that be cheaper for them?
I'd guess the BD-ROM too, and the harddrive?

Sony won't make any harddrive themselves. There is a reason why there are only a few harddrive manufactures in the world.

Also, since nobody seems to remember, just because you make it yourself doesn't make it cheaper (than somebody else who could make the same part). You have to put up with the manufacturing headaches, you have to pay for the fabs and the people who work in them, you have to pay for all of the mistakes and errors that occur, and so on.

Thirdly, you can's say it'll be cheaper for them to produce these items (compared to Microsoft) because they are NOT the same as what is in the xbox360. In this case, cheaper isn't relative to anything since they are the only ones who are making the items they need (in regards to the cell (that specific version) and the rsx). The only thing they will make "cheaper" is the bd-rom unit if it is the same as what they sell to other manufactures and/or use themselves in their own standalone bd-rom units.

Thread Locked: Redundant Discussion

Spong "journalists" are out doing themselves once again.
An only six months late "news" "updated" with a sensationalist headline, that's clearly a sign of a slow week for Spong.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21296

There's also another thread about last November ML report (Spong may write a news about that in two month if they have no more articles about Nintendo's Revolution to steal from CNN Money or MTV.com):

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25208

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back