MS Expects to Sell 3M Xboxes within first 90 days

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/ap_on_hi_te/xbox_sales

Microsoft Corp. expects to sell up to 3 million of its new Xbox videogame consoles within 90 days of the console's launch, an executive said Tuesday.

Bryan Lee, chief financial officer with Microsoft's Home and Entertainment unit, told investors and analysts at the Harris Nesbitt Media and Entertainment Conference that the company is aiming to sell between 2.75 million and 3 million consoles worldwide within 90 days following its Nov. 22 debut in North America.

Should not be a problem provided they can get that many shipped.

The original xbox managed to sell 1.5 million in the same launch time frame in the US alone as an unknown competitor which no one was sure would stay in the console business, and even that was limited by supplies.

Adding in Europe, the far cheaper 360 price (Comapred to the Xbox EU launch price), the added consumer confidence in the system, and I don't think 2.5-3 million is unrealistic at all.

The question is, can they deliver the supply.

Powderkeg said:
The question is, can they deliver the supply.

I don't think this is in question, if they're quoting figures. He wouldn't quote figures if he wasn't confident of supply.

Hardknock said:
Sounds about in line with a new console launch. They want between 5 and 6 million sold by June right?

Yeah, the precise target is 4.5-5.5m.

Here's another article:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/08/technology/personaltech/microsoft_xbox.reut/index.htm

Lee also said that sales of the new consoles, games, peripherals and online gaming subscriptions should total about $1.5 billion in the same period.

I've called myself extrapolating the sales of consoles and games from this figure:

• 2.5million Premium packs @ $400 would = $1 Billion of that figure
  • 500k Core packs @ $300 would = $150 Million of that figure

So that leaves $350 million for games and peripherals.

I'm guessing the average price of games will be $55(the average between first party $50 and 3rd party $60).

Most launches average a tie-ratio of two games. So that would be $330 million for game sales, which leaves $20 million left for peripherals and such. Of course this is just an estimate from these very vague figures.

Hardknock said:
, which leaves $20 million left for peripherals and such.

And at $50 for a wireless controller and another $100 for a WiFi adapter, I can see that 20 million being reached really fast.

This is just annoying PR BS. I don't care if they sell 3 or 3 million as long as I get my console on launchday... Come on, release the damn boxes already, don't brag about how many you'll sell before a single one has been sold! :D

Guden Oden said:
This is just annoying PR BS. I don't care if they sell 3 or 3 million as long as I get my console on launchday... Come on, release the damn boxes already, don't brag about how many you'll sell before a single one has been sold! :D

I think we would all feel better if they made a press release saying they were shipping enough systems to fill all preorders on launch day.

Guden Oden said:

they've already sold a bunch , we have 28 preorders completely payed off with customers signing a paper that we will use thier credit to buy the system and place it on hold untill they can come in for it . Otherwise 48 hours and we sell to the next person

Deepak said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/ap_on_hi_te/xbox_sales

Microsoft Corp. expects to sell up to 3 million of its new Xbox videogame consoles within 90 days of the console's launch, an executive said Tuesday.

Bryan Lee, chief financial officer with Microsoft's Home and Entertainment unit, told investors and analysts at the Harris Nesbitt Media and Entertainment Conference that the company is aiming to sell between 2.75 million and 3 million consoles worldwide within 90 days following its Nov. 22 debut in North America.

Oh, this means there is no shortage? Kinda confirms that there is an artificial shortage. Or does it mean, there is a shortage and that unforfilled pre-orders counts towards the 3 million?

EDIT: Or... they have a hard time shipping out units to cover the supply in all areas. Which is more likely. I mean, the demand should always be higher than the supply for a console like X2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in seeing the uptake of Live Gold. Who will pay for it when it's partially free? What are MS banking, and are they on the money?

I think it's a very big x.

Anyone who wants to game online will have to pay. Unless you want to wait around for random "free weekends", or play MMO's.

Also there's a trial of Gold with the X360, so anyone who went online, then after 30days is downgrade to silver, could potentially have liked what they saw, and want to go back to gold.

Sounds like they've been making 500,000 units/month since September.

This would allow them to ship about 1.5 million on launch and another 1.5 million by the end of February. Then another 2 million by the end of June for a total of 5 million as expected. If they don't ramp up any further then they will be on track for about 8 million by the end of '06, but chances are they'll ramp up and push 10 million out by then.

Last I heard in an intyerview it was 10,000/day, which is much lower than they would like. They(sorry can't remember who was talking) said they were expecting an extremely steep ramp up of production in the weeks/months following launch.

While I'm on a roll:

Sony can probably produce about 6 million PS3s by the end of '06 and they will sell them all.

MS will probably put Gears of War and a couple other 2nd string games up against the PS3 launch. They won't waste Halo 3 on the PS3 launch, because Sony will be supply limited anyway.

The big battle will come during holiday '07 in the US, where we'll have MGS4 + Killzone + GT4 vs. Halo 3 + Fable 2 + Forza 2.

This is where the PS3 will start to pull ahead of the X360 on a world-wide basis, mainly on strength in Japan, but MS manages to keep pace with PS3 in the US and maintain their userbase lead. They will slowly lose market share in Europe to end in a virtual tie with Sony. MS will do much better in Japan (maybe 2-3 million systems), but will get creamed by PS3 (20 million).

That was fun. :)

Fable 2 + Forza 2 ?? they arent multimillion sellers as far as i'm aware off...

rests only halo3 ........

I don't think Forza is anywhere near a million seller, but it has more than it needs to compete with GT, as a game...

If next gen is fought between sequels rather than great new games, I think I'll sit it out :cry:

I'm hoping Summer 2007 is fought between PS3's "Great New Game #1" vs Xbox's "Great New Game #2".

Back