First SEGA Patents Controller, Now They Patent Memory Card.

Either way, if they ARE coming with a home console-ish thing. I'd be willing to bet something sub-Wii rather than almost HD. :p

Regards,
SB

You've got to be kidding me. You think SEGA is that incompetent that in the year 2010 they can't even release a product matching the specification of the decade old Wii hardware?

It doesn't matter. Who's going to support SEGA? The studios that made the DC what it was doesn't really exist anymore. Are they going to rely on Capcom to do the rest of the heavy-lifting again? They couldn't get studios on-board before. What about all the titles they have lined up for multiplat release? How about the fact that they actually have fairly solid publishing deals across handhelds, Wii, HD consoles and PC? Will they be supporting all these platforms as well as their new hardware? Are they going to abandon their extremely lucrative 'Mario & Sonic' games?

You've got to be kidding me. You think SEGA is that incompetent that in the year 2010 they can't even release a product matching the specification of the decade old Wii hardware?
I think the point he was trying to make is that with the success of the Wii, any upstarts wishing to make headway in consoles would follow their lead and put graphics on the bottom of the priorities list. Sega could put out something around Atomiswave or NAOMI2 level and with the right spin, capture some marketshare.

I think the point he was trying to make is that with the success of the Wii, any upstarts wishing to make headway in consoles would follow their lead and put graphics on the bottom of the priorities list. Sega could put out something around Atomiswave or NAOMI2 level and with the right spin, capture some marketshare.

Again, that's rank stupidity. Atomiswave is 1998 tech and NAOMI 2 is 2000 tech.

Even the lastest Mobile phone GPUs & CPUs costing no more than a few dollars per SoC make those two platforms seem prehistoric in comparison.

The vast majority of patents never amount to anything. It's indeed rare for a patent to be turned into a real product. SEGA have a list of patents over the past decade that didn't mean squat. Some loonies were looking at Nintendo's patents for a new 3D texture type thing and expecting amazing things from Wii. We all know how that turned out. And what about Sony's Visualiser powerhouse in the PS3?

Likelihood is SEGA have been watching how the market has been evolving and are getting in quick with the idea of an adaptable controller in the hopes they can get licensing fees off the players. This ties in with rumours of a Sony adaptable controller. Sadly for SEGA, Nintendo have already got an expandable controller. Luckily for SEGA, prior art counts for squat these days! Still, no new console. There's no rhyme nor reason to it. There's no market for it. There's no evidence for it, apart from the flimsiest circumstantial evidence and some very optimisitic 'tea-leaf reading'. The fact that the supporters of a new SEGA console are incapable of providing a solid market-based reasoning for their hopes just goes to prove it won't happen. First and foremost, if SEGA are going to enter the console space, there needs to be a justifiable economic argument that they will make lots of money. If you can't make that argument, there's no point at all looking at patents and trying to conclude they pertain to a new console. It's just a silly waste of time.

Exactly. SEGA embarked on a strategy of making games for other people's consoles to stay in business. Why on earth would they want to compete with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo? The whole notion is an entire nonsense.

The patents are presumably in place to perhaps get royalties from other people should the tech be used elsewhere. And isn't that controller patent dated back to 2005? Have they really spent four years making a console nobody has ever seen?

I still think arcade has some truth to it. At the very least, they're trying to avoid getting Bemani'd in case any of their currently-popular arcade games turns out to become the next big thing 10 years from now.

Again, that's rank stupidity. Atomiswave is 1998 tech and NAOMI 2 is 2000 tech.

Even the lastest Mobile phone GPUs & CPUs costing no more than a few dollars per SoC make those two platforms seem prehistoric in comparison.
Sega All-Star Racing is stupid, but it's the kind of low-risk development Sega is known for these days. An iPhone 3GS may be around as powerful as that old hardware, but it costs $400 (or $200 with a new contract). Given that they already have developed and proven tech, they could reap the benefits of process shrinkage and deliver hardware at prices competitive to OnLive.

The biggest expenses would be in the controller development and marketing. It'd take a lot of resources to make a controller that's less functional than today's standard controllers and then try to sell add-ons that will make it almost as functional.

Not that I believe they're pursuing development of a new console. If any of the old talent is still in Sega, I think they could do something competitive to the Wii, seeing as they were doing the types of games and controls on the DC that are making the Wii popular today. But I don't recognize any of the wild adventurous spirit of the old Sega in Sega today. I'd certainly prefer NAOMI2 graphics to most of what we're seeing on the Wii.

I consider myself a "Shin Super Ultra Special Championship Circuit Master Jet Turbo Yatta ne Edition Sega Fanatiku" and even I have to believe that they cannot do it unless Microsoft was out of the equation and they could realisticially prove themselves to not pull the plug on their console to their fans.

I find that very hard to believe to be honest. Of all the gaming sites on the web it is this one that you seem bizarrely focused on.

I did enjoy this post in particular mind you:

07/09/09 DISCONTINUATION OF SALES DATA

After receiving thousands of emails from dedicated fans asking for the removal of weekly sales data, FGNOnline has decided to grant the wishing of it's fanbase and shall no longer be publishing such information.

Brian Holzheuer
Associate of Mr Zachary Morris

"thousands of emails" asking for sales data removal?! Hahahahaha!

Nope. Sorry, not going to happen TEXAN. Such plans do not exist for SEGA to be releasing consumer level hardware in the shape of a gaming platform again. You can argue otherwise, but I doubt you have the connections within the actual company to confirm such a thing. All it takes is a few phone calls to find out that this is rubbish.

MS actually paid SEGA back in the day to do a hack of the Dreamcast controller for the Xbox. That is why the original Xbox controller was a rip off of the Dreamcast's.

They claim to have insider information that no one else has.

What? Like this handheld system coming next year with twin "force feedback" touchscreens and these specs?

CPU: Intel Celeron 440 2 GHz "Conroe L"

GPU: AMD HD4650 128MB GDDR3 Shader Model 4.0

AUD: 5.1 ch HD

Other: WiFi Connectivity
8GB Compact Flash
Custom Yamaha produced optical media (Capacity: 2.5GB Single Layer)
Stripped down version of Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009

These "insider sources" need to lay off the crack pipe.

What? Like this handheld system coming next year with twin "force feedback" touchscreens and these specs?

These "insider sources" need to lay off the crack pipe.

I agree those specifications are unrealistic.

However, a lot of people are saying that SEGA was only testing the market when they introduced the Vision PMP.

So who knows? Maybe there is some truth to the rumour.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Vision PMP is testing the market then the result of that test must surely be that nobody wants another SEGA handheld?

Considering how choice picks from B3D end up on that website (even speculation from the Next Gen console thread turn into "facts" there), while on here, you keep referring to that website and its outlandish, gonzo claims it doesn't take a genius to work out that the two of you are somehow connected.

I agree those specifications are unrealistic.

However, a lot of people are saying that SEGA was only testing the market when they introduced the Vision PMP.

So who knows? Maybe there is some truth to the rumour.

There is no truth to the rumor. None. Stop spreading misinformation and lies please as you are giving SEGA a bad name.

Have you ever been an employee for SEGA? If you did do you still maintain ties with people that work in the company? I really doubt you have but if you did what was your position there?

Back