First console to let me install all games to HDD will win me over

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
That's right MS and Sony. Pay attention. I'm lazy. I don't want to swap discs and I'm fickle in which games I want to play. Let me install my games to the HDD, associate to my profile and let's call it day. I currently have 11 360 games that I want to play at diff times. Just being lazy enough to swap discs puts me off to spending more time with the console.

Sony, when I start buying your games, same thing applies.

Let's make it happen guys! and for those in the industry, any technical reasons why this is not possible currently?

Prolly has to do with they don't want people renting games then installing it to their hard drive forever.

Yep, I reckon that's a good idea, or a 5-10 disck stacker would be nice also. What ever to keep me from changing disc all the time is great.

Prolly has to do with they don't want people renting games then installing it to their hard drive forever.
yeah, some games like Ninja Gaiden: Sigma let you install the game completely onto the hard drive but you still have to have the disk inside the system.

It was pretty convenient on Genesis if you had one of those 6-game swappers or whatever they're called. I'd imagine that idea would be more complex/expensive with disks though.

That's right MS and Sony. Pay attention. I'm lazy. I don't want to swap discs and I'm fickle in which games I want to play. Let me install my games to the HDD, associate to my profile and let's call it day. I currently have 11 360 games that I want to play at diff times. Just being lazy enough to swap discs puts me off to spending more time with the console.

Let's make it happen guys! and for those in the industry, any technical reasons why this is not possible currently?

Any reason they should care how much you play them after you already bought them? :p

I personally would love to see the option, but I just don't think it will happen.

I would go one step further and go for the console equivalent of PC + Steam.

The 360 could be almost there. Just need some sort of high capacity external (the cheaper 3.5") harddrive. It would work like demos currently do, just download and play.

XBOX 1 did it. If you modded it. You could have tons of games installed in it. But that was piracy.

The PS2 also allowed something similar with an external HDD and some kind of software I forgot what it was called. You could literally install all your original PS2 games in it

This is a big plus for some of the bigger downloadable games on the PS3. Games like Warhawk and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue are leading the way in that regard, as being two games that can both be bought on disc and as a download to the HDD. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to have the disc based version run off the HDD anyway as an option.

I would only want it for games of that size though - once games go to the 25 GB size, it both takes too long to install and takes just a few games to fill up the harddrive. Also, I could imagine that in some instances, games would be more internal i/o bandwidth efficient in loading if they can combine HDD caching and BluRay streaming, but I'm not sure.

Most games you have to get the no CD patch thing, which are illegal. Unless you are talking about Steam and such.

I don't see nocd patches being a problem to me, as far as I have already paid full money for that game, and that I am not making money or they are losing money from it(because I encourage piracy to other people etc). You are just doing yourself a help that doesn't offend anyone else. ;)

Obviously this is just my thought :LOL:

I don't see nocd patches being a problem to me, as far as I have already paid full money for that game, and that I am not making money or they are losing money from it(because I encourage piracy to other people etc). You are just doing yourself a help that doesn't offend anyone else. ;)

Obviously this is just my thought :LOL:

Well, that doesn't make it any less illegal. Last gen consoles has that kind of illegal method too for this HDD install games thing.

Doing them legit is what we want.

That doesn't make much sense.
Would you install in your HDD a game that takes 25Gig on the Blu-Ray?
For me the perfect console doesn't need any HDD install. They all should run the games directly from the media.

In the end you're always going to have trade-offs with respect to storage media..

Games are always going to get bigger & as they do bigger [cheap] storage will be needed (larger capacity disc-based media for example).. Problem is, required bandwidth then becomes an issue because you want more data off the disc within the same time frame & disc based media can only go so fast.. Then you have NAND based storage however there just isn't the capacity for games upwards of 20-40GBs a peice, not to mention the fact that it's infinitely more expensive to manufacture & produce than optical discs..

What you need to hit the right balance would be some form a cheap media which provides low-latency massive storage for next to nothing.. The best stop-gap solution being a system which contains both a highspeed optical drive & fast+large hard drive (either magnetic disc or solid state..) used promarily for caching data during streaming.. It's a temporary solution which works well nowadays with the current generation of games' bandwidth requirements, however it's not clear how well it would suffice for the next generation of software expectations..

EDIT: Also HDD are useful for more than downloading full games.. Things like save files, media etc also add value to it's presence in any system..

Not really; it's just far more convenient especially if you're switching often between games. Sony sort of has this worked out on the media end (DLNA support), and both systems have some games that install directly to the drive, but the concept really isn't mainstream yet.

I personally like how the PS3, for instance, can access most of my media -- and it isn't even on the drive. It's all over the network. Maybe a console could implement support for reading games from network storage. Hmmm...

it would be cool if they produced and/or allowed for a carousel solution. 360/ps3 for $300, carouself for $200. Everyone wins.

Back