FireWatch [PS4]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

I didn't see a thread for this and just got to in Sony's E3 2015 press conference. From Wikipedia:

Firewatch is an upcoming first personadventure game developed by Campo Santo and published by Panic for PlayStation 4, Windows, OS X, and Linux operating systems. It will be the debut video game by both companies. Firewatch follows the story of a volunteer fire lookout officer in the aftermath of the Yellowstone fires of 1988.

2609427-firewatch.png

A bit of mystery, a bit of humour. It definitely has my attention.

I didn't see a thread for this and just got to in Sony's E3 2015 press conference. From Wikipedia:

Firewatch is an upcoming first personadventure game developed by Campo Santo and published by Panic for PlayStation 4, Windows, OS X, and Linux operating systems. It will be the debut video game by both companies. Firewatch follows the story of a volunteer fire lookout officer in the aftermath of the Yellowstone fires of 1988.

2609427-firewatch.png

A bit of mystery, a bit of humour. It definitely has my attention.

I liked the easy going banter and chatter and so on between the protagonists. Just out of curiosity, a campo santo -literally translated saint field or saint ground, but it doesn't mean that at all...- is a graveyard, a burial ground, a cemetery, whatever you prefer.

Last edited:
Just spotted this thread after the game got a mention on the gamespot best of PlayStation Experience video and it definitely has my intention too. I like what I see. I think I might definitely get this.

EDIT:

First 32 minutes of the game, minus the plot spoiler.

This looks very cool indeed. Out next week.

Can't wait!! Haven't watched the video, but it's a definite must buy for me.
The game seemingly tells a story set over many days. This playthrough is all of day 1 and will obviously spoil day 1 but otherwise appears devoid of plot spoilers.

The rapport between the player and their boss is great and the decisions also look cool. The team is made up from quite a few of the folks who worked on TT's The Walking Dead season 1 and it shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what time it gets released? I really find it confusing as to which time within which timezone etc. Or is it just, the release at 0000 in *your* timezone of your PSN store? If yes, that would mean that tonight at midnight, we could start playing?

I tried to pre-order this from PSN last week and zip. Being an indie game this may mean it's not available from midnight and only when the store is updated. In the UK that's whenever PlayStation UK can be arsed - 11am is the earliest I've seen the store update, 7pm the latest.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been checking store.playstation.com on nearly an hourly basis today and the damn game is still not there. Any idea if the content is refreshed on a daily basis or is the store only updated on a weekly basis? I really want to play this tonight. :runaway:

So I've been checking store.playstation.com on nearly an hourly basis today and the damn game is still not there. Any idea if the content is refreshed on a daily basis or is the store only updated on a weekly basis? I really want to play this tonight. :runaway:

The game isn't available until 6pm in the UK. It's the same on Steam.

Was actually thinking about getting this on PC but from GAF's benchmarks I dont know if my Q6600/4GB RAM/HD 6970 could handle it. Especially as scenic beauty is the main draw of the game so low setting would seem problematic. Maybe I'll wait for XBO version. Also seems to be a game better experienced from couch.

Especially as scenic beauty is the main draw of the game so low setting would seem problematic. Maybe I'll wait for XBO version. Also seems to be a game better experienced from couch.

Definitely a cough/beanbag game tho there is no reason a mouse and keyboard wouldn't work but the controls elegantly suit a controller.

Really nice game thus far and very pretty art-wise.

I completed it last night after around 4.5 hours of play time. It's a very very nice game and quite unique. I found the controls at first a bit of a struggle (hold L2 to grab the radio, R2 to switch between dialog responses and release L2 on the dialog response you want to choose), but it's actually quite brilliant. By putting the radio controls entirely on the shoulder buttons, you can move freely while communicating/talking to Delilah. And this is a key point, because 95% of the game is the talking, the interaction between you and her over the radio. Gives it a really great atmosphere; it's as if you are there. The whole setting very authentic and realistic. The best thing for me; Pulling out the map with the compass reminded me of childhood memories while being a boy scout, in the woods and having to use a map and compass for coordination. The game doesn't make it too hard but not too easy to give that adventuring flare. I'm happy they didn't use any arrows or onscreen markers on screen to guide the players. 10/10 from me.

4.5 hours may seem short, but I admit I may have 'rushed' the game a bit without wanting to. In hindsight, I should have taken more time to take in the surrounding or perhaps to explore the forest more or beyond just doing the tasks that were given. I think this has to do with the fact that the game is pretty straight forward and I tried to do a good job. For example; You spot fireworks and need to find the root of it, so instead of wandering off for my own egoistic reasons, I tried to focus on the job at hand with a certain amount of seriousness. This ultimately led to me perhaps rushing the game a little, when I could have wandered off a couple of times instead. It's something I will definitely give a go at a 2nd play-through.

As for critic and last thoughts on the game, I'll spoiler tag them, though no specific spoilers in them but some thoughts on story/plot etc:

I can't help but feel a little disappointed in the story though. While the buildup is fantastic, I think it could have been (should have been) more exhilarating than it end up being. More danger, more crime or something. Or perhaps more/better puzzling, like uncovering a mystery where the sense of actually uncovering something it stronger. I like and give credit for it that it's not something that was 'over the top', but I still would have enjoyed a bit more of a climax. When I finished it last night, the reaction was a bit like "errr, was that it?". I wasn't expecting a survival horror game, just... more. Still, it's an indie game and really really good one at that, and because of that, I guess expectations have to be measured. I would love to see more games like this.

I spent about 40 minutes on day 1. So yes, I got a bit distracted :yes: I imagine I'll finish this off tonight. I really liked the feeling of isolation and playing using headphones the sound effects were really subtle but incredibly well done.

I took like 8 hours to finish the game :p Played it without the 'radar', and did no running unless I was backtracking. One of the best games in recent memory for certain! I played it over the course of 1 week, with the last session lasting 3 hours. I was actually lost during the final segments. But! This led me to super important plot points
like finding a dead deer with a tracker on its neck
Absolutely loved everything about it. Especially the ending and the melancholy of it.

The story conclusion in a way reminded me of something which happened with a girlfriend a few months ago.
She once called me, during her work hours (which was odd), but I was too late to pick up the phone. I tried calling her back immediately, but to no avail. I sent a message "hi, I was too late to pick up the phone.. everything okay?" to which she responded: "no. I can't talk. need your help. I'm home I'll wait for you"
So yeah, what could have happened? I raced home to find out that..... She was home early but her phone was acting up; it could not place calls (it needed a reboot). that was all :-0
I was also a bit anticlimatic, but at the same time I was extremely relieved. So in a way a bit like Firewatch

Back