So there's no way PS3 CPU is getting more than one PE~Cell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DemoCoder said:
If you're still using a 480p SDTV/EDTV in 2006-2011, you're a loser. :) 720p sets will exist at the sub-$1000 price point by then, and 1080p sets will be sub-$2000

IMHO, with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray supporting 1080p, and all major manufacturers moving to 1080p, designing a next-gen system to support anything less than 1080p framebuffers as standard is a big mistake.

Yeah, tell the europeans that.... :devilish:

I can't see 1080i being important to the PS3, atleast in europe (UK).

Many of the current plasma TVs only support 480p.

I bet a very large number of the PS2s in the world are in peoples bedrooms, even if they do have HDTV it will be in the living room, it's not where the PS2 is and i can't see this changing drastically for PS3. Cause girlfriends/ wives will still want to watch Corrie/ Eastenders in the living room while we're playing on the PS3 ;)

Most people I know have 28-32" CRT's (£300-£800), many have just bought them and have NO intension of upgrading in the life-time of PS3.

I've had my 36" Tosh (with no pro Scan) for nearly 4 years and have no plans to upgrade in the lifetime of the PS3.

Most people are NOT going to bother spening £s on a new TV when the old one is fine JUST for PS3. People have more important things to spend money on like mortgages, cars, going out, holidays etc...

I know plenty of people with PS2s and X boxes who haven't even got widescreen TVs, and some are still using portables, still fine for PES :)

Then when you consider all the kids which will have PS3s bought for Christmas and birthday presents, your average kid does not have a HDTV in his bedroom.

sir doris said:
Most people I know have 28-32" CRT's (£300-£800), many have just bought them and have NO intension of upgrading in the life-time of PS3.

Aren't you in the minority then? In the life time of the PS3, World Cup and Olympic Games will be aired.

^ ^ Yep. That sums up pretty clearly the situation in the UK at least. It seems americans don't get that.

There was the widescreen boom about 5 years ago in the UK, with the advent of DVD, lots of people went out to buy widescreen TVs. And these TVs are all 480i sets.
Not many poeple have any intention of upgrading within the next 5 years, cause for them it's more than good enough.

one said:
sir doris said:

Aren't you in the minority then? In the life time of the PS3, World Cup and Olympic Games will be aired.

.... Your point? :? :D

Well, phooey on the UK. There is a widescreen boom in the US, and Americans are buying 720p+ sets. Ditto for Asia. Europe can run their PS3s on crappy 480i displays if they want, but Sony should be designing the PS3 to meet the needs of Asia and the US. :)

Here in the UK if you've got commitments to a house, partner, freinds, etc. not many people are going to buy a new TV just for a sharper picture with a PS3 when the TV they have is fine, unless you get a nice bonus. People will wait until their TV goes wrong till they replace it.

DVDs still look good on normal CRTs. I suppose when Sky release there HDTV more people might upgrade, but I would have thought it would still be a small shift.

Then again I bet average Joe with a windfall will still connect his PS3 to a HDTV with composite SCART :LOL:

Also I think everyone I know with PS2 or xbox still uses out of the box composite leads even if their TVs can take RGB/ S-video, they just aint interested in/ or know about paying for a better lea :!:

sir doris said:
Then again I bet average Joe with a windfall will still connect his PS3 to a HDTV with composite SCART :LOL:

CLASSIC!!!

Who cares about Corrie in HDTV!!! To see the wrinkles on the actors' faces better?? :devilish:

london-boy said:
one said:
sir doris said:

.... Your point? :? :D

They are the largest demand boosters for new TV sets AFAIK. Needless to mention Blu-ray recorders and HDTV sets with Cell inside...

PS3 has a Blu-Ray Disc. Blu-Ray is meant to show Hi-Definition movies. Just what is the point of designing a console system with a storage medium whoses purpose is to show 720p and 1080i/p media on 480p screens?

Yes, DVDs "look good" on normal displays, but they look much better on progressive displays, and even better upscaled to hi-res displays. But, DVDs look like crap compared to an HDTV signal. Completely inferior, like comparing a VCD to a DVD.

DemoCoder said:
PS3 has a Blu-Ray Disc. Blu-Ray is meant to show Hi-Definition movies. Just what is the point of designing a console system with a storage medium whoses purpose is to show 720p and 1080i/p media on 480p screens?

Yes, DVDs "look good" on normal displays, but they look much better on progressive displays, and even better upscaled to hi-res displays. But, DVDs look like crap compared to an HDTV signal. Completely inferior, like comparing a VCD to a DVD.

Hey we're not saying it's a good thing that the UK and Europe are stuck in the B/W ages.
We're just saying that this is the reality here, whether we like it or not.
Also, u make another mistake.... Here, even 480p is a luxury!!!! :LOL:

It's ridiculous, i know, and it needs to change, but it's not going to happen anytime soon here.

U think we don't know how good HDTV is? Trust me, if it were for me, i'd start goverment grants to make the HDTV shift quicker!

london-boy said:
..Or 640x480 with industrial quantities of AA, like most people will play at.
Your point being? Sure, most people will be playing on a SDTV set. But developers will still have to design their games with HD users in mind. And there will be a lot of those. Both Revolution and Xbox 2 will hook up to computer monitors. And I suspect PS3 will as well. Furthermore, flatscreens sales are increasing rapidly. In the EU HD flatscreen sets are expected to make up roughly a third of the market by 2007 IIRC.

We'll start getting HD channels in Sweden sometime during the second half of the year. But people are still fairly clueless and just think 'omg plasma tv!' and end up with 852x480 res tvs.

cybamerc said:
london-boy said:
Yeah, tell the europeans that.... :devilish:
I know you like to pretend that HD sets are nowhere to be found in Europe but it's simply not true.

Grumpy, stop putting words in my mouth. I've never said they are nowhere to be found.

Find me an official percentage of people with HDTV sets in the UK or Europe then we'll talk.

We're having a simple discussion on what the majority of people will play in the next 5 years.

sir doris said:
Many of the current plasma TVs only support 480p.
But even cheap LCDs support 720p.

I bet a very large number of the PS2s in the world are in peoples bedrooms
Where you are likely to have a computer if you are a kid/teenager or a small flatscreen if you are an adult.

Most people I know are drooling at the thought of a flatscreen. Flatscreen prices are going to drop drastically over the next few years (over the next 6 months even due to overproduction). Lots of people will buy a HD set once they realize that they can replace the bulky CRT with a flatscreen for a reasonable amount of money.

Normal people are not going to replace a perfectly good CRT that is only a 3 or 4 years old with a new flatscreen even if it's £500-£800. Also there is no free to air HDTV so you will need to add Sky HDTV or upgrade to Sky HDTV which will likely be more money. And as London-Boy said who wants to watch Corrie in HDTV :?:

And even when HDTV arrives what will the % of HD transmitions be? Some of the football broadcast NOW is not widescreen, Sky sports Xtra is nearly all 4:3 :devilish:

Will current and old movies on TV be HD?

Flascreens (LCD mainly, some plasma) are selling like hotcakes here in Sweden at least so a fair amount of people are likely to upgrade to 720p within the coming five years. 1080p is almost nowhere to be found though. The only thing people want is the actual flat screen though, not the better resolution. The digital over the air television broadcast here is crappy quality anyway and dvds aren't more than 480p so there really isn't any content that takes advantage of the better res.

sir doris said:
Normal people are not going to replace a perfectly good CRT that is only a 3 or 4 years old
There are lots of people with sets older than that.

And even when HDTV arrives what will the % of HD transmitions be?
The thing is, it's not really relevant. HDTV broadcasts won't push HD in Europe. Flatscreens will - whether people care or not. Content will be plentiful though thanks to HD-DVD/Blu-ray, consoles and cable/satellite.

cybamerc said:
sir doris said:
Normal people are not going to replace a perfectly good CRT that is only a 3 or 4 years old
There are lots of people with sets older than that.

And even when HDTV arrives what will the % of HD transmitions be?
The thing is, it's not really relevant. HDTV broadcasts won't push HD in Europe. Flatscreens will - whether people care or not. Content will be plentiful though thanks to HD-DVD/Blu-ray, consoles and cable/satellite.

I think there should be a push of content first, to persuade people that there is a reason for going HDTV. Flat panels on their own won't convince people to upgrade, cause if you can't play any HD content on them, they're useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back