Finish this sentence: The next Ipod will...

PARANOiA

Veteran
So I'm going to need a new portable music player, and have finally resigned to picking up an Ipod after years of resistance. It's largely because I want a single device I can pop in my car and control via the steering wheel, etc.

Shopping around today, I noticed that a lot of the 80gb Video Ipods were out of stock... and a few retailers noted there is probably a "new model on the way".

So! What will be different? Finish the above sentence... be realistic.. be imaginative... be crazy... I'm curious what could be next!

My thoughts:
  • The next Ipod will be out in September 2007
  • The next Ipod will be touchscreen only
  • The next Ipod will feature wireless tech
  • The next Ipod will be very pricey :cry:
Your turn!

1.) Have less features than similar products from competition.
2.) Cost more than competition.
3.) Will still sell well even though it is in no way a good product.

So, I predict it will be an iPod which shares the above three qualities.

...have its design knocked off by the Chinese before it hits domestic retail.
...expand the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field[*] further, eventually bringing doom too us all.

[*]The humble beginning of the iPod. Note the gross misrepresentation of USB speed (16KB/s) and the fact that 5 minutes times a thousand is somehow 5 hours?! And come on, not even US cellphones weighed more than 185g late 2001. The smallish skeptic crowd rather than a giant auditorium full of raving fanboys is a redeeming quality though. Had they only known...

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just read on Wikipedia that the HDD-based Ipods have a failure rate of >20%. That's about the same as the 360's RROD IIRC. Funny how MS are so tarnished in the market that they are crucified for their hardware quality, yet Apple can slide straight though :???:

Either way, the Ipod seems to be the only MP3 device I can use with my car's internal controls, so I've no choice!

I dunno man. Ipods have won every single test I have seen. And I have personally been very satisfied with my two Ipods. Imo they are a very good product.

Awesome, so you paid more for a product with less features. If you consider that good then it has certainly done a great job. The iPod has flourished on a brand name and then thrived off of dominating the market to the point where no other company really has a chance now. There is no way you can even start to carve your own place when everything out there only works with the other guys product. Its ironic how much the situation sounds like the current day OS market (though in a way worse, as Windows does offer a number of things other OSes don't, yet I can't think of a single thing an iPod offers over other players beyond the Apple logo).

Say what you will, but the iPod UI revolutionized the UI for most consumer electronics. Prior to its release, most UI's were extremely complex and tough to navigate. Apple illustrated the fact that you can look simple and easy to use while still retaining the same granularity and functionality you need...

I'm hoping to see a slightly larger screen and improved battery life...(crosses fingers) ;)

... will have wi-fi or Bluetooth for sharing of tunes like the Zune, or something like that.

Ipod is a great product. I've used my nano HEAVILY for the last year and don't have any problems with battery life. The ipod does exactly what you want it to and nothing more. It doesn't have any useless tack-on features. It has a slick interface and it works with iTunes, which is by far my favourite music media player.

I actually just read on Wikipedia that the HDD-based Ipods have a failure rate of >20%. That's about the same as the 360's RROD IIRC. Funny how MS are so tarnished in the market that they are crucified for their hardware quality, yet Apple can slide straight though :???:

Either way, the Ipod seems to be the only MP3 device I can use with my car's internal controls, so I've no choice!

Doesn't surprise me. The batteries are an eventual failure, and the harddrives aren't going to handle much better in those small enclosed spaces and excessive motion.

The itunes store does kind of suck though. Great selection, sucks that it's apple proprietary. Sucks even more that none of the major media stores work with linux.

Ipods definatelly have their market
theyre great for people who want simple

personally, I prefer sound quality functionality anf features of style, so I looked at other models. currently usng an old iriver H140 flashed with rockbox. its great and doesnt sound as sterile (to my ears) as the ipods I borrowed

Back