Where Does Gaming Go From Here?

• Thread starter Deleted member 86764
  • Start date
If the Wii U has a pointless gamepad, given it's a window into another world, just like Project Morpheus (minus 3D and side effects), given that 3D is gimmicky for most people and the side effects are rather on the bad side, it should fail miserably...

That said I think the Wii U Gamepad is a good idea that only lacks the New 3DS stereoscopy to make it better. I'd prefer that over any virtual reality helmet, because I'm not disconnected from my surroundings, something that matters a lot to me. [But I can understand some people want the exact opposite.]

I don't find the Wii U Gamepad to be pointless, but its been underutilized for sure. Very few games make great use of it. Nintendo started with Nintendo Land, and Ubisoft made fantastic use of it with Zombi U. Many games feature convenient features, but aren't really game changers. It is kind of funny though, Nintendo and Microsoft both focused a lot on creating a unique control interface that really could change the way you play games, Nintendo with the Gamepad and Microsoft with Kinect, and both of those gambles came up empty. Meanwhile Sony releases a new PlayStation that does little more than upgrade the processing tech, and its a smash hit. I think there is some truth to being a gamer that has been around for a long time, you start to expect that blow your mind radical change in gaming that happened with the N64, but that sort of radical change doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon. On second thought, it sort of did with the Wii when it first came out. Playing Wii Sports for the first time gave a similar vibe, but the control interface was limited to waggle for the majority of games, and therefore wasn't established for the core gaming experience. Zelda SS and Red Steel 2 were simply to late to really establish motion controls with traditional core gaming experiences.

Is Project Morpheus really going to be anything other than more of the same? Maybe it’d be different if the device were released at the same time as the machine, but then that didn’t exactly work out for Kinect 2.
You should read the experiences of those who have used Morpheus, or used (or own) Oculus Rift.

It's overwhelmingly positive. VR is nothing like a new control scheme :???:

VR is nothing like a new control scheme :???:

It kind of is. In the most basic form, I see it as a remapping of the right stick to your head.

I've read a lot about them and watched loads of videos. Almost religiously. I'm still hesitant about its success. I'll get one for sure, but the wider population? Could go either way.

It kind of is. In the most basic form, I see it as a remapping of the right stick to your head.
Ha! I suppose so although once you've tried VR - I've been fortunate to get to play the Elite beta for about 10 mins using OR - it sells itself because a sublimely elegant alternative to moving a camera and quickly becomes natural and second nature.

I've read a lot about them and watched loads of videos. Almost religiously. I'm still hesitant about its success. I'll get one for sure, but the wider population? Could go either way.

It's definitely one of those things you need to try. Like a lot of things - rock climbing, parachuting - some experiences have to be experienced and can not be appreciated by explanation :yep2:

Like a lot of things - rock climbing, parachuting - some experiences have to be experienced and can not be appreciated by explanation:

And like say parachuting you will need the consumer of the experience to sign on to as much legal responsibility as the lawyers can dream up. Assuming that the tech isn't perfect for everybody who buys and uses it I can only imagine the number and or breadth of "agree" checkboxes for the consumer to check off before even using the thing once after it is bought. I even wonder about demo units in stores and what may have to be agreed to just to try the thing. It's not just folks who get sick after 2 minutes it's the folks who have a headache hours or days later that you may have to worry about.

Since framerate is not only good for gameplay but may be essential just to use the device I wonder if a console based VR headset game will need some form of scalability to become more viable. Trading resolution or effects for framerate if one chooses. Some older titles may get a patch to work with a system while newer games may come with the option as standard. It may be too much of a hassle or not feasible for many titles.

If you have the money, stomach and cord management skills I think you will be quite happy though.

And like say parachuting you will need the consumer of the experience to sign on to as much legal responsibility as the lawyers can dream up. Assuming that the tech isn't perfect for everybody who buys and uses it I can only imagine the number and or breadth of "agree" checkboxes for the consumer to check off before even using the thing once after it is bought.

I'm utterly lost by this statement. Exactly what do you think is going to be problematic?

I'm utterly lost by this statement. Exactly what do you think is going to be problematic?
I have no idea from a medical perspective but there will be lawsuits. Intense interactive experience involving a 3D hardware an inch or 2 from your eyes, I'm purposely being dramatic here, would seem to be good fodder for a litigious market like the US as a fer instance. Mind you it might amount to anything in the end but for a while at least I think there will be significant controversy on the subject IMHO.

I have no idea from a medical perspective but there will be lawsuits. Intense interactive experience involving a 3D hardware an inch or 2 from your eyes

I wish I had your unwavering ability to see into the future :yep2: But like using any form of display, it's up to the user to exercise restraint. In the UK the recommendation is you take a 15 minute break every hour from a monitor or TV. However nobody is suing monitor or TV makers. Why is VR going to be different?

I wish I had your unwavering ability to see into the future

I am merely a vessel for a Higher Power :LOL:

Seriously I have to believe that Sony Lawyers as well as Facebook etc. are looking into this.

Why is VR going to be different?

Does regular TV make you throw up ?? Don't mistake me there is likely little logic behind medical concerns about the device but logic has little to do with how some people respond to things that are out of the ordinary. Look at the "Ebola-Fever" in the US ?? No logic just fear. I'm a jaded American ( meaning we in the US get that A word by default for whatever reason ) so bear with me on this. I hope nothing comes of it but I have a feeling that there are already lawyers drawing up a few arguments even as we type on the subject. I come from the land where this happens. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/california-man-sues-sony-over-killzone-shadow-fall

Mind you I am not for tort reform or that stuff I am just being ... jaded.

Does regular TV make you throw up ??
I know several people who suffer motion sickness from certain games - Ratchet & Clank is particularly bad for a close friend, he can't tolerate it for more than a few minutes.

I'm not aware of any particular widespread reports that either Morpheus or Oculus Rift are more vulnerable to motion sickness and nausea.

Are some idiots going to attempt frivolous law suits? Sure, probably. People will sue over anything. Do Sony need to be more cautious with VR over their existing A/V hardware? I don't see it. :nope:

Hopefully the tech will get to the point that none of this is a problem or not much of a problem. As of now it's still an issue. My "throwing up watching TV"analogy may be a bit over the top but motion sickness is an issue. A quick search on google as they say. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...ion-sickness-in-delaying-oculus-rift-support/

But in any case I see a bright and motion sick free future for VR whether this generation or the next.

Next-gen = faster CPU and GPU, further decreases in appreciable differentiation.

*yawn*

Well I think that when you get fairly close graphically to a not so annoying uncanny valley effect with humans or aliens or animals how it will affect people may be less yawn-inspiring than you might think. Characters that provide a gamer with what looks to be another human can be entertaining in ways that more robotic looking characters might not be able to employ.

Maybe decoding body language as a means of gameplay in dealing with well rendered humans, you can be Sherlock Holmes questioning a witness and looking for the tiniest flicker of movement under the clothing as some sort of tell.

IF ( and it's a big one ) you can get to a point graphically where it's not perfect but tricky enough to work with the brain as opposed to against it portraying humans and the like it might allow for something new. I shudder to think what a realistic version of fatalities in Mortal Combat would look like. Add in VR to that mix and it's anything but a yawn.

Where Does Gaming Go From Here?

Matrix Virtual Reality (MVR).

- Everything that surrounds you is indiscernible from reality
- But everything is 100% virtual (even your own body).
- Contrary to the Matrix, needles stuck into our spines won't be necessary, nor drugs and weird devices like in Inception, everything will be controlled (by ourselves obviously) by mentally controlled nanomachines living inside our bodies.

- Contrary to the Matrix, needles stuck into our spines won't be necessary, nor drugs and weird devices like in Inception, everything will be controlled (by ourselves obviously) by mentally controlled nanomachines living inside our bodies.

We are already playing :devilish: -> ;) -> :smile: -> :???: -> :eek: -> :oops:

Good ol' Kojima :)

What if i'm allergic to the nanomachines?

If inducing vomiting or motion sickness was such a litigious offense, Six Flags and Carnival Cruises would have went out of business a long time ago.

I personally think wide mainstream adoption is way off and thats mostly due to the form factor. People love iOS and Android, but I doubt most people would be willing to carry a 80s like cell phone to make use of that functionality.

I think VR will bide its time with the hardcore gamers until it shrunk down to typical glasses and the internet gets speedy enough that it basically become a remote play like device. VR glasses need to be small and portable with regular access to fast internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back