Final Fantasy XIV [PS3]

... which makes me very curious about the Steam + PS3 setup.

How come no FFXIV for Mac ? For such a network-centric game... if I buy it on the PS3, I'd also want to play my character from a Mac.

Comments on why Final Fantasy XIV for now isn't going to appear on the 360:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/closed-xbox-live-blocked-ffxiv

That's a critical weakness in MS's strategy for Xbox Live, IMO. I'm fairly certainly a large part of it is to reduce risk to the network, reduce cheating through uncontrollable nature of the internet at large and guarantee a standard level of quality.

But even with those potential dangers, interoperability is going to become key if gaming continues to fragment among different eco-systems with the only common thread held by them is the ability to interface over network/internet.

Regards,
SB

I still need to more about this game, my knowledge about this game extends as far as the name of the game that's it. Eagerly waited for a beta invite for whole of over a month but didn't received any.

That would make sense, since there is no need for a localization of the NA release.

Quite looking forward to this game. It's been a long time since the last PvE focused MMO came out. Mostly it's been PvP MMO's that come out to high expectations and then lose most of their initial userbase in the first few months.

Regards,
SB

It needs much more than that IMO. In between executing emotes, which requires user input, the characters look like robots. They need to adopt some natural auto-expression so they look like people even when no-one's executing an emote. Things like head's turning to view someone dancing, rubbing of chins or brushing back hair, little lip movements, etc. Without these little touches constantly going on, the realistic placement means everything looks dead creepy, like the Dollhouse, or some other mind-controlled people den (which I suppose they are...). Until I can go into a friend's apartment and sit down and look like someone in a friend's apartment, instead of sitting down in a very scary job interview, it won't be a comfortable experience for me.

It needs much more than that IMO. In between executing emotes, which requires user input, the characters look like robots. They need to adopt some natural auto-expression so they look like people even when no-one's executing an emote. Things like head's turning to view someone dancing, rubbing of chins or brushing back hair, little lip movements, etc. Without these little touches constantly going on, the realistic placement means everything looks dead creepy, like the Dollhouse, or some other mind-controlled people den (which I suppose they are...). Until I can go into a friend's apartment and sit down and look like someone in a friend's apartment, instead of sitting down in a very scary job interview, it won't be a comfortable experience for me.

I'm seeming very argumentative with you today, so let's start with saying that I agree with your general sentiment about Home avatars.

That said, some of what you are describing is already in there. If you look at an 'idle' Home avatar, they never sit still for very long. They change poses a bit, stretch themselves or whatever. Most of the things you're suggesting are in there, if you care to look. It's just that it is not good enough yet.

They may well have updated it a lot since I tried it in the early days. I've tried a couple of times since then and it's always crashed out or failed to connect, hence a lack of enthusiasm. ;)

They may well have updated it a lot since I tried it in the early days. I've tried a couple of times since then and it's always crashed out or failed to connect, hence a lack of enthusiasm. ;)

You should definitely try it again someday. Maybe just take a look inside the LBP area, if anything it'll make you feel happy just like most LBP related things tend to do.

Personally I've experienced the first problem I've had in about a full year now last week, which is that the Wipeout space doesn't load for me. It always crashes Home for me completely. Right up to then though I've had no problems at all.

I had a good time at the Capcom or whatever carnival space as well the other day. You can buy like 50 carnival 'tokens' for 1 euro, and then you can play any of the 14-16 minigames in there. None of them are particularly riveting, but everything gives prizes, and you get prizes for each subsequent level as well. Sometimes also a game is suddenly temporarily free for all.

It gave a very realistic carnival vibe for me personally. :LOL:

Home has these little animations. But they are stiff and "polygony". ^_^

To be fair, they have introduced a lot of costumes to the Home world. You can see floating UFO, dog, cat, assorted personality and heroes these days.

The UFO has dance moves too but rather limited.

Distant Worlds had a few pieces from Final Fantasy XIV. Definitely sounds good, I think I'll pick up the soundtrack when it's released.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22756825&postcount=7811

From the FFXIV Beta Tester's Site:

First off, I would like to thank all testers for participating in phase 2 of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test!

The development team sincerely appreciates all of the feedback, positive and negative, as well as all the words of encouragement from testers across the world. We endeavor ever forward with all of your voices in mind.

We are also excited about entering the third phase of beta testing! We intend to have the new content first checked by testers who participated in phase 2, and then increase the number of testers as time goes on. We are continuing to address the server load issues that many testers have brought to our attention. The official launch will be built upon a solid foundation of ongoing stress tests.

Following is a selection of what is in store for the third phase of beta testing.

–Improvements to the battle system
We overhauled the user interface and basic system for Beta 1. We will, however, continue making changes to eke the greatest possible enjoyment out of the system. Rather than explaining every detail, it’s probably better for you to experience it for yourself. Enjoy!

–Adjustments to character growth
We relayed in a previous announcement our plan to increase the merits of participating in levequests, particularly while in a party. Beginning with this phase, the amount of skill points that characters gain through levequests will be far greater than what they would gain attacking monsters on the field. Further adjustments will be made based on your feedback during Beta 3.

–Improvements to mouse controls
We’ve received plenty of feedback on mouse controls from testers who are seasoned PC gamers. Because we tried to ensure our control scheme worked across every type of device, we simply ended up providing a level of mouse control unsatisfactory to those testers. But we are happy to announce that we’ve made some major improvements to the movement and camera controls. Try them out and let us know what you think.

–Implementation of new Disciples of the Hand and Disciples of the Land classes
Now that we have ready for use all of the announced classes, we are one step closer to fulfilling all the items we promised to provide. We’ve reinstated local levequests with this phase, and with that, we hope to see an increased number of Disciples of the Hand. Some testers reported that there were not enough Disciples of the Hand testers to repair their items during Beta 2. We will keep an eye on this aspect during Beta 3 and make the proper adjustments according to your feedback.

–Implementation of linkshells
Linkshells (also known in FINAL FANTASY XIV as “companies” and similar to “guilds” found in other online games) will be implemented in Beta 3. Most FINAL FANTASY XI players will already be familiar with how linkshells work. Please test them out by inviting your friends and be sure to let us know what you think.

–Implementation of player macros and the auto-translate function
With macros, players will be able to execute multiple actions with one command, and automatically set their actions and equipment when changing classes. We understand the system still requires some tweaks, but we decided to implement the system in Beta 3 because it’s such an essential feature for testers to fully enjoy their experience.

These above are the major additions and adjustments for this version update. There are plenty more other than what I’ve pointed out, so we hope you will get a good feel for them, too.

Here’s to seeing the same great level of feedback and support during phase 3!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Director
Nobuaki Komoto

http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/24/ffxiv-ps3-delay-down-to-memory-says-square-enix/

The PlayStation 3 version of MMO Final Fantasy XIV was delayed due to “memory” issues, producer Hiromichi Tanaka told VG247.

“On the PC, they have enormous memory. For PS3, there’s a restriction.“They are adjusting the memory size and customising it; it took longer then we were expecting. But we’re really working hard to bring it out as soon as possible.”

The PS3 version lands in March 2011. Tanaka told us a 360 version was still being talked about with Microsoft.

MMOs can be a challenge on consoles because it isn't possible to fully control asset loads for a given area. They will have to implement an impostor system (assuming it's not already part of their LOD).

FFXIV beta impressions:
http://kotaku.com/5655992/final-fantasy-xiv-mmo-log-two-hammering-out-the-rough-edges

In the first Final Fantasy XIV MMO Log, I wondered what my motivation for playing the game was. This week I decided to make my own quest.

Kotaku's MMO reviews are a multi-part process. Rather than deliver day one reviews based on beta gameplay, we play the game for four weeks before issuing our final verdict. Once a week we deliver a log detailing when and how we played the game. We believe this gives readers a frame of reference for the final review. Since MMO titles support many different types of play, readers can compare our experiences to theirs to determine what the review means to them.

Without further ado, here's part two.

Hilarious read. :LOL:

It does make me think though, that the whole blacksmith thing would be great for using two Moves - you could make a pretty kick-ass blacksmithing simulation using one Move to hold the sword/axe whatever and the other to hammer away at it.

Back