Final Fantasy 12 - Reviews

What??? huh??!!! Everyone's playing FFXII? Isn't PAL version coming out sometime in February? :( Can't play US versions... :cry:

What??? huh??!!! Everyone's playing FFXII? Isn't PAL version coming out sometime in February? :( Can't play US versions... :cry:

I have a ntsc PS2 for the very reason that many of the games I like most are released much earlier in the states FF-games are about 4-10 months, Tekken 5 and God of War were released months before. I'm gettin my FF12 next week, it shipped on tuesday this week...
On X360 many games are region free so I wasn't afraid to buy the european version and I quess the same goes for PS3. I just can't wait for a AAA game to come out here, if it's released earlier in the states.

Also there is a small chance that some games are censored when they come to Europe like Ninja Gaiden or God of War. Oh and the games are cheaper too, and often times atleast on PS2 the US-version includes 480p option but the Pal-version doesn't. FF12 is 480i though right? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a ntsc PS2 for the very reason that many of the games I like most are released much earlier in the states FF-games are about 4-10 months, Tekken 5 and God of War were released months before. I'm gettin my FF12 next week, it shipped on tuesday this week...
On X360 many games are region free so I wasn't afraid to buy the european version and I quess the same goes for PS3. I just can't wait for a AAA game to come out here, if it's released earlier in the states.

Also there is a small chance that some games are censored when they come to Europe like Ninja Gaiden or God of War. Oh and the games are cheaper too, and often times atleast on PS2 the US-version includes 480p option but the Pal-version doesn't. FF12 is 480i though right? :cry:

The US version (and most certainly the Euro one too) has no 480p support, however it has Widescreen support and a very effective "Flicker Filter" option which i leave on because on my LCD HDTV, leaving it off is painful.

The US version (and most certainly the Euro one too) has no 480p support, however it has Widescreen support and a very effective "Flicker Filter" option which i leave on because on my LCD HDTV, leaving it off is painful.

Well I'll definately try that. I'd actually need a smaller tv for 480i games, I once made a promise to myself that I won't play 480i games on my 61" ever again!, after FF12 I have broke that promise three times:) (DMC 3 and DQ8) Honestly DQ8 looked like (insert something too horrible to say) however the FF12 demo looked like it won't make me cry.

Well after FF12 there'll be only one game left for my PS2 I quess, God of War 2 which will have 480p for sure! so I only broke my promise three times, that's pretty good ain't it!?:smile:

edit: oh one more thing. Aren't almost all the PS2 games rendered 480p internally though? so if FF12 is rendered at 480p internally, why on earth will they not let us friggin use it!... or am I completely mistaken?

edit: One number change.

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: oh one more thing. Aren't almost all the PS2 games rendered 480p internally though? so if FF12 is rendered at 480p internally, why on earth will they not let us friggin use it!... or am I completely mistaken?

Yep. FF12 is definitely rendered at 640*480 internally and not "field rendered" like old games were.

It all stems from the non-uniformity of development requirements for PS2 games. Sony never really gave guidelines so all devs pretty much do what they want.

It does look spectacular either way. :D

Square ones? Never. FFX Euro conversion was plain bad. It had them all, slowdowns, big borders...

Well, my TV supports 100hz, and 60hz games just don't quite look good on 'em. Black borders aren't realliy ever an issue because the TV autoscales, but PAL resolutions always tend to look better. I have FFX and compared it to the NTSC version of FFX-2, but FFX PAL looked better in all cases. Also, slowdowns often are even worse on the NTSC versions.

Anyway, getting back to FF12, it does seem to give you a better impression of how the PS3 versions are going to look. Suddenly, the small bits of trailer we've seen make a lot more sense, don't they?

Anyway, getting back to FF12, it does seem to give you a better impression of how the PS3 versions are going to look. Suddenly, the small bits of trailer we've seen make a lot more sense, don't they?

Absolutely. Now that i've seen the realtime models PS2 can show (those faces are just unbelievable!!!), the realtime stuff from FF13 we have seen on PS3 kinda looks like not much of an improvement, except obvious resolution differences... :oops: Yes i'm being serious.

I can only imagine what PS3 (or 360) will show in their 5th or 6th year. Scary.

One big complaint I have about FF XII is that some of the "dungeon" areas just stink. I just made my way through an ENORMOUS outdoor area. I love the size of it, but the dungeons themselves are bland. This particular dungeon consists of a relatively small number of elements repeated over and over and over. No matter where you go it's the same platforms, ramps, and pillars copied and pasted everywhere. It really takes away from the thrill of exploration. I don't get the feeling of "WOW I wonder what's over there!" because "over there" looks exactly the same as right here. Add to that the fact that treasures are randomized and are almost always useless (at 16 hours in, I can only think of one time where I found a piece of equipment that was more powerful than I could buy at stores), and it makes exploring the dungeons in XII a boring chore.

I love the new battle system/gambit system, the music, the story, the beautiful towns and expansive, organic outdoor environments, the licence board, the characters (except Vaan), and everything else in this game. The dungeons are killing me, though. I miss the pre-rendered dungeons where every scene was a work of art begging to be explored, rather than just a bunch of identical hallways jumbled together.

I miss the pre-rendered dungeons where every scene was a work of art begging to be explored, rather than just a bunch of identical hallways jumbled together.

Thank you!! It doesn't even have to be pre-rendered, i mean FFX was all realtime but it had variety, it took u by the hand to explore the relatively small doungeons...

Thank you!! It doesn't even have to be pre-rendered, i mean FFX was all realtime
There were a few 2D backdrops in use in that game. Certainly the airship comes to mind as one.

Has anyone played FFXII and Rogue Galaxy? Can you cmopare the two games? RG is coming out in the UK in a month and I'm intersted in it, along with a number of other games. But I don't want to waste too much time playing games and am only likely to pick one title between RG and FFXII, possibly adding Okami at some point after that's come out.

There were a few 2D backdrops in use in that game. Certainly the airship comes to mind as one.

Has anyone played FFXII and Rogue Galaxy? Can you cmopare the two games? RG is coming out in the UK in a month and I'm intersted in it, along with a number of other games. But I don't want to waste too much time playing games and am only likely to pick one title between RG and FFXII, possibly adding Okami at some point after that's come out.

Possibly?! Are you crazy?! ;)

You're right though, FFX had some prerendered parts, very few and far in between so it was hard to remember.

Thank you!! It doesn't even have to be pre-rendered, i mean FFX was all realtime but it had variety, it took u by the hand to explore the relatively small doungeons...

True! I really loved the combination of realtime 3D graphics with the fixed cinematic camera angles. Personally, though, I think the pre-rendered backgrounds of the PSX era were the best. It allowed for massive environments with insane attention to detail. Some areas in FFXII look absolutely stunning (especially in the shops, I dare say they are more impressive than Oblivion's even), but the dungeons in particular are totally unexciting.

To be fair, FFXII has a dungeon crawler feel to it. You have giant corridor dungeons with monsters and (crappy) treasure all over the place, and occasionally you'll run into something you weren't ready for (such as a big mob of enemies or an elemental). I'm sure some people are into that.

All we need on PS3 is an FF game with realtime 3D environments, with the complexity of FF9's pre-rendered backgrounds, cinematic camera angles, and XII's battle system. Please, Square! We know you can do it!

Heh one day our prayers will be fullfilled!

Square seems to be getting better with time, who'd have thought that FF12 would have been so good (cause it IS really, really good)... So there's definitely hope!

Personally, although limited as hell, i loved and kinda miss the simplicity of FF7 battle and magic system. Now all these boards and stuff... They're cool, but it takes more brain power, and with age my brain power is getting weaker and weaker!! :D

6 years! It's the longest relationship i have ever had in my life!! :LOL:
Uh... how old are your kids, again? :p

Trust me, it's painful on a plain joe television, too. At least the text is.

One big complaint I have about FF XII is that some of the "dungeon" areas just stink. [...]

I love the new battle system/gambit system, the music, the story, the beautiful towns and expansive, organic outdoor environments, the licence board, the characters (except Vaan), and everything else in this game. The dungeons are killing me, though. I miss the pre-rendered dungeons where every scene was a work of art begging to be explored, rather than just a bunch of identical hallways jumbled together.
Strange, to me the "dungeons" (rather, mostly, outdoor areas) are one of the biggest improvements over previous FFs. Those 5-screen forests and mountain ranges always felt terribly contrived and cramped to me, artificially prolonged by random encounters. Having sprawling areas like FF12 and keeping the random encounter system would have been absolutely horrible, especially for people who like to explore every nook and cranny. However, in combination with the new battle system the more realistic environments work very well IMHO. The restrictid variety is an understandable technical concession, especially when even games like Oblivion with vastly more resources to work with suffer from the same problem - less pronounced of course.

I just wish PCSX2 and my PC would already be up to the task of running FF12 in 1920*1200 :D

Back