Final Fantasy 12 - Reviews

I think that locking the characters to a single role would greatly add depth to the characters and imo would make following the story and characters more appealing to me.

the narrative is quite strong in Final Fantasy XII. each character already has defined roles. a divergence or reinforcement of this depends on you choice of licenses and gambits.

each character already has defined roles. a divergence or reinforcement of this depends on you choice of licenses and gambits.

The definition is as loose as I can imagine. You can make every character within 98% of each other, and because of that the story won't and can't go into detailing the characters and their history, growth etc. At the end of the game the characters felt shallow to me.

any of u guys remember final fantasy 6(3 in usa) for super nes? god that was one of the most amazing games ever i logged well over 150 hours on that game.

The definition is as loose as I can imagine. You can make every character within 98% of each other, and because of that the story won't and can't go into detailing the characters and their history, growth etc. At the end of the game the characters felt shallow to me.

i haven't completed the game yet (i.e., i'm currently exploring Ivalice right after defeating Judge Bergan at Mt. Bur-Omisace) but there's enough for me in the narrative thus far. i chose to make my characters distinct (through licenses and gambits) using what i know of the characters as a guide.

i haven't completed the game yet (i.e., i'm currently exploring Ivalice right after defeating Judge Bergan at Mt. Bur-Omisace) but there's enough for me in the narrative thus far. i chose to make my characters distinct (through licenses and gambits) using what i know of the characters as a guide.

I had three identical characters that were basically pretty good at everything at lvl 83-85 when I finished the game. Don't get me wrong I liked the game, I just personally would like to see few things changed like the character classes. I still had lot's of fun playing it.

I had three identical characters that were basically pretty good at everything at lvl 83-85 when I finished the game. Don't get me wrong I liked the game, I just personally would like to see few things changed like the character classes. I still had lot's of fun playing it.

I agree, they should have made it like the characters in IX. Each had a very defined role. Also in X they all felt very different to one another. I hope they go that route in XIII.

I agree, they should have made it like the characters in IX. Each had a very defined role. Also in X they all felt very different to one another. I hope they go that route in XIII.

This is always a debate in these sorts of games and there's never a clear answer. This time around, we're hearing from the "make the characters different crowd." If the next game comes along and has very rigidly defined characters/classes, there will be just as many people complaining about the lack of flexibility.

If the next game comes along and has very rigidly defined characters/classes, there will be just as many people complaining about the lack of flexibility.

Well it's only fair that those "just as many people" don't always get what they want on my expense :smile: Anyways the flexibility in itself is not my problem, but it has created other problems that makes the story of the characters less meaningful and interesting.

Also they should do something about the summon system...
imo it was just fine in the old FF-games meaning 9 was the last good method of implementing it.
I think I used all the summons combined only twice during the whole FF12.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather liked both the Sphere Grid and the License Board.

Maybe they could have balanced out prices on the LB a bit more to have you making serious choices, but IMHO if you're playing the game WAYYYY long and XP'ing your characters through the roof, you can make do with them being a bit cookie-cutter. :p You're playing for goddam ever! Heh.

In that way, XII just needs more unique powers and more purpose for them. That's some forced divergence, at least, and if they give more to combo with and more incentive to min-max a particular direction along with it... Characters will at least have their own unique roles and abilities. (And at that point you're end-gaming it and just having fun with whatever hugely abusive shit you can make up. Heh...)

Back