Final Fantasy 12 - Reviews

Looks like yet another game I have to pickup! :LOL:

If the PS2 could talk, it would say: "I'm not dead just yet!" ;)

Looks like yet another game I have to pickup! :LOL:

If the PS2 could talk, it would say: "I'm not dead just yet!" ;)

I think it's more like "I'm not dead at all!" :D

In Europe that's even stronger a feeling than anywhere else, because we get a lot of titles very late. To name just a few:

- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy XII (23-02 by the way, so definitely before the PS3 ;) )
- Pro Evolution Soccer 6 / FIFA 07
- Okami
- Canis Canem Edit
- Guitar Hero II
- God of War II

And some other titles like MGS3: Subsistence, Kingdom Hearts 2, and FIFA07 have only just been released.

I think it's more like "I'm not dead at all!" :D

In Europe that's even stronger a feeling than anywhere else, because we get a lot of titles very late. To name just a few:

- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy XII (23-02 by the way, so definitely before the PS3 ;) )
- Pro Evolution Soccer 6 / FIFA 07
- Okami
- Canis Canem Edit
- Guitar Hero II
- God of War II

And some other titles like MGS3: Subsistence, Kingdom Hearts 2, and FIFA07 have only just been released.

FF7?

I've been hearing mixed things about FF XII. Some people say it's the best FF ever. Others say it's rather slow moving, and that there is little character development or interaction between party members (although if it has a cast as bad as FFX or X-2, maybe that's a good thing).

I am glad to hear that it's supposedly the most difficult FF game yet, and that sometimes you'll run into monsters way more powerful than you can handle. I'd imagine this will add a sense of danger and excitement to exploring new areas. For example, supposedly there's a T-rex near the exit of the first town, and if you challenge him you'll get whupped.

As far as the new battle system, it has definitely grown on me after playing the demo a few times. It feels and looks awkward at first because one is tempted to play it as an action game. The thing to realize is that you can't dodge attacks by maneuvering around, and you aren't really intended to be controlling your characters motions the whole time. Just pick commands from the menu and let them execute. Once I got used to it, I appreciated not being taken to a separate battle scene all the time.

The demo has two environments to explore. One is a beach with lots of hills and little nooks to explore. It looks great and has a nice, organic feel to it. The other is this absolutely horrible castle level. The "castle" is just a bunch of huge rectangular hallways with brick texture on them, with enemies wandering around aimlessly waiting for you. I was very disappointed, and I hope this isn't indicative of the dungeons we'll be exploring in the final game.

Anyway, I am a hardcore FF geek, and I'll be getting my copy of the deluxe edition on release day :)

The PS2 definately isn't dead, and Rogue Galaxy along with FFXII are my two most anticipated titles for the next 6 months regardless of the platform. Then after that, Mass Effect comes out. :)

I've put about ten hour into the game, and so far so good [gameplay wise]. Although I can't say the same thing for the character Vaan. Tidus would beat the crap out of this kid mano-o-mano. I really hope the next FF after XIII feature a more mature main character who's old enough to smoke or drink .

I'm thinking of exploring one more location and I'm gonna go back and finish FFX (I'm about to enter Sin, and yes, I've finished the game before...twice).

.Z

The PS2 definately isn't dead, and Rogue Galaxy along with FFXII are my two most anticipated titles for the next 6 months regardless of the platform. Then after that, Mass Effect comes out. :)
They shifted Rogue Galaxy back AGAIN! To the end of January! <weeps>

I've put about ten hour into the game, and so far so good [gameplay wise]. Although I can't say the same thing for the character Vaan. Tidus would beat the crap out of this kid mano-o-mano. I really hope the next FF after XIII feature a more mature main character who's old enough to smoke or drink .

Rumor has it that Balthier was originally planned to be the main character. Some higher-ups at Square decided it should be Vaan instead. Supposedly, they originally had a more manly-looking design for Vaan, but then made him look more effeminate because that's considered more attractive in Japan.

I don't get why RPGs always make you play as a dumb, fruity little teenager with emotional problems nowadays. Is this the kind of person you'd expect to lead a team of mercenaries into battle, slaughtering hordes of trained enemy soldiers and mythical beasts 20 times his size? Other genres always let you play as someone badass (e.g. Solid Snake, Ryu Hyabusa, Kratos, Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Dante, etc.) Even older RPGs had manly heroes, like Cecil from FF IV. Someone needs to bring the testosterone back to RPGs.

I hear that FF XII doesn't make you keep Vaan in your party, and that there are very few places where it forces someone into your party. At least I can kick Vaan out ASAP and never use him again :D

I would imagine so. I didn't use Tidus or Wakka unless forced to by plotline in FFX. Heck, I didn't even ADVANCE Wakka because I found him too annoying and wanted to punish him! :p

I certainly didn't do this, though. Those guys are nucking futs!

I would imagine so. I didn't use Tidus or Wakka unless forced to by plotline in FFX. Heck, I didn't even ADVANCE Wakka because I found him too annoying and wanted to punish him! :p

I certainly didn't do this, though. Those guys are nucking futs!

LOL! Unfortunately, if I'd restricted myself only to characters I liked in FFX, I'd be soloing as Auron through the whole game. Maybe I'd let Kimhari and Lulu in if they kept their mouths shut.

I do intend to punish Vaan and possibly Penelo, though. I'll kick them out as soon as possible and never gain a single XP for them. Maybe I'll take them out and sacrifice them to a T-rex once in a while, and then let Basch kill the T-rex with a hammer. The rest of the time, Vaan can wait at home, waxing his chest and nipple hair, perfecting his metrosexual haircut, and listening to The Smiths.

Rumor has it that Balthier was originally planned to be the main character. Some higher-ups at Square decided it should be Vaan instead. Supposedly, they originally had a more manly-looking design for Vaan, but then made him look more effeminate because that's considered more attractive in Japan.

I think thats actually stated in the Wikipedia readup of Final Fantasy 13.

They shifted Rogue Galaxy back AGAIN! To the end of January! <weeps>

Hasn't it been set for January for a while? At least, last time I checked (seems like about a month ago) it stated January. I'm very saddened by this, but at least it will give me enough time to play through FFXII and finish up Xenosaga. Who knows, maybe I'll even get around to finishing up Champions of Norrath and Beyond Good and Evil. I still need to pick up Okami and Viewtiful Joe however, and maybe DMC 3 or GoW.

This game SUCKS, play Dragon Quest 8 if you haven't already.
Well personally I'd say FF12 is a very good game with an intriguing story and excellent writing, and as such inherently a lot better than the boring generical cliché-fest that you're alluding to. But really, what are you (and I) contributing to the thread by doing so?

So, to add to the character selection discussion: My Ashe, Penelo and Fran are around level 50, the 3 guys range from 9 to 15. They also have about 7k unspent licence points each. Basically, it is quite easy to pretend Ashe is the main character - and she is plenty badass.

In all fairness Rogue Galaxy is pretty crap gameplay wise especially in comparison to FF12, graphically RG is pretty nice though, and the cel shaded CGI is stunning.

I had a blast playing FF12 though.

Back