Far Cry 4

Watched a stream of it this morning and the big red flashing warning "don't shoot civilians" if you shoot the "wrong" npc makes me nervous that the same folks responsible for the ham fisted, xenophobic mess that was the story in the last game are still involved with this one. Far Cry 3 handled this mechanic better by making the civilians no longer be friendly. The FC4 approach is literally the worst possible way they could have handled it and strikes me as a cynical choice.

Game looks exactly like FC3 which isn't a bad thing though I would prefer a return to FC2's gritty realism (as opposed to FC3's lush escapism).

Wish they didn't rely so heavily on killing animals for the loot mechanic.

Cheers

HRAA is probably adding a touch of blur if we compare it with the ultra clarity seen in AC4's textures (PS4). But the general clarity is still pretty good (more so for a 2014 Ubisoft AAA game...:D) and the image quality is really satisfying.

1.bmp.jpg

5.bmp.jpg

Mankind has relied on animals since the dawn of mankind. I don't see how hunting virtual animals for their pelts, bones, meat, etc. is worse than killing a virtual person.

Game's contrast looks a tad high doesn't it, or is it the new AO that makes things a bit darker? I also find it hilarious they won't implement the light shaft on consoles for the sake of a feature bullet on Nvidia's card, pathetic really.

Mankind has relied on animals since the dawn of mankind. I don't see how hunting virtual animals for their pelts, bones, meat, etc. is worse than killing a virtual person.

Depends how you play the game. If you prefer to play as the anti-hero or everything in the game is an enemy sure. In Far Cry 3 / 4 however it's wrong to kill civilians but required to kill every animal. It's also not even sold as being about hunger or even really survival, it's about getting loot (ooooh, shiny backpack!)

There is a difference between being able to shoot something in game and being required to do so, especially when it doesn't really fit in that well with the mythos. At least let me play like Steve Irwin instead of Ted Nugent.

=)

Cheers

Last edited:
Depends how you play the game. If you prefer to play as the anti-hero or everything in the game is an enemy sure. In Far Cry 3 / 4 however it's wrong to kill civilians but required to kill every animal. It's also not even sold as being about hunger or even really survival, it's about getting loot (ooooh, shiny backpack!)

There is a difference between being able to shoot something in game and being required to do so, especially when it doesn't really fit in that well with the mythos. At least let me play like Steve Irwin instead of Ted Nugent.

=)

Cheers
I take it you don't wear leather shoes then? I'm a tree hugging lefty, but I still don't hesitate to kill pretend animals (or virtual humans).

Animals are fluffy and huggable :D

While I could have done without the need the kill animals in Far Cry 3, and the game was would incredibly difficult to play and complete without upgrading some of your equipment, I have to admit that a few of the hunts were absolutely exhilarating.

Trying to kill the Black Panther using only the bow, at night with the rain and the thunder, where it was also stalking me and is absolutely deadly, was absolutely epic.

Killing deers though? No sport at all. I can't see why some equipment upgrades can't also just be loots from people who already have that equipment. It makes no sense.

It's a game! They're not real animals! It's not like the game is requiring us to kill babies.
It's set in a vast, natural environment where you have to kill people, and where there are lots of animals to hunt. Better this than killing these animals in the real world, and it's not like any of us would have the chance to actually do it in the real world.
Grow up!! Before I start making jokes about mistreatment of beavers and snakes.

It's a game! They're not real animals! It's not like the game is requiring us to kill babies.

No babies that I am aware of, just endangered species. There's some black humour in that sure.

But my argument is that there is a big difference between being able to do something in game and being required to do so over and over and over again as a core mechanic. The game tries for a realistic tone, wants to you take part in the story. We are not talking about a Saints Row or Cabella game here. Maybe if I hadn't played Far Cry 2 I wouldn't feel the same way about it? If you have only played FC3 previously maybe the series seems more like a Just Cause or Borderlands sort of game?

I don't actually have an issue with hunting or fishing in games, it is just the way it was implemented in FC3 (and now in FC4). In a game like Red Dead Redemption it makes total sense but in FC3 / FC4 it comes off like a strip minining or clear cutting simulator instead of a sane survival mechanic.

Cheers

I kinda miss the mutants from Far Cry 1..... ;)

I am not sure I am interested in FC4 if it's anything like FC3. I didn't even get close to finishing the story in FC3. Boredom. Same with FC2 for that matter, but FC2 was just terrible overall IMO.

The hunting thing is cheesy but I had most of the interesting crafing stuff finished off in a couple of hours one day. Running animals down with a knife. Super realism there! But it's not really that much of a hurdle. I can see why they might want to add hunting/survivalism but what's there is just arcade action nonsense for the most part.

Last edited:
Game's contrast looks a tad high doesn't it, or is it the new AO that makes things a bit darker? I also find it hilarious they won't implement the light shaft on consoles for the sake of a feature bullet on Nvidia's card, pathetic really.

Yep. It's not like the cheap-ass light shaft post processing effect wasn't already in place in Far Cry 2 (as well as in countless other games) on the PS3/360.

Can I just say. Having to wait until midnight tonight and looking at that silly timer on my PS4 just makes me think the release of games is SO antiquated. First of all, who the heck decided to release this on a freaking Tuesday?? I was ill at home since Thursday with nothing to do FFS! Second of all AARRRGGGHHH I CANT WAIT ANYMORE JUST RELEASE THE F'KIN THING ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

Activated on my PC, downloaded at work with 50MB pr second, some nice servers Uplay uses. Nope haven´t played it yet, gonna mess around in WOW while Destiny downloads a 2+ GB update.. is it national download day?

Amazon have dispatched my disc. Yay! :) I'm as looking forward to Far Cry 4 almost as much as GTA V. :)

I downloaded the thing in minutes, it's been sitting on my PS4 for a couple of days but I can't touch it until midnight. So frustrating.

I know what you mean (well except for the "downloaded in minutes" part), that pre-load timer is so frustrating.

Because it was more like "in days" for me...

I noticed that compared to the previous gamersyde HQ videos they reduced the size of the mini map in the retail game. It's like they heard my mental complaint!
farcry4_2014111521245vkodn.jpg

Back