Far Cry 4

:???: There was rain in Far Cry 3. The game looking stunning during heavy rain and thunder storms.

Exactly ! it looked stunning ! It was rare but it rained and there were even storms which were supposed to be disabled but you could catch a glimpse of trees swaying wildly in the wind whne exiting caves. The weather used to get reset to normal daylight as soon as you exited the cave. Th eengine has it in there and now we have th ehardware: I have waitied for so long to get that rain on the ps4 and now they screw us over with this weird decision ! One is bound to get angry over it :devilish: !
I was waiting for them to announce super weather effects near the launch window and instead they shove this into our ears !

The game is getting pretty good reviews, from 8/10 to 10/10. Looking good! :)

There was a time, when what I saw of Advanced Warfare was not interesting me, that Far Cry was my only hope for an FPS this month but having played and loved AW, GTA V having a first person mode and Far Cry 4 getting good reviews, it's first person shooter overload.

Too many good FPS games is a terrible First World Problem :) My dilemma for Tuesday is which to play first, GTA V or Far Cry 4. Not really, bought GTA digitally and I'll get Far Cry 4 on disc.

An 8 on Eurogamer, which for them is a high score.

Digital Foundry vs Far Cry 4

PlayStation 4 analysis only at present, PC and Xbox One to follow.

Highlights
  • Faultless 30fps at 1920x1080.
  • PS4’s visual setup is easily comparable with 2012's Far Cry 3 on a PC's maximum settings, using very high resolution normal maps and an acceptable grade of anisotropic filtering.
  • Ubisoft delivers a unique solution here. To tackle all of these elements as best it can, a new Hybrid Reconstruction Anti-Aliasing (HRAA) system is in place for the game.
Digital Foundry said:
The solid performance here is reminiscent of the strong showing of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag last year - there's the sense that Ubisoft has built upon and refined an existing engine technology and in PlayStation 4 we finally have the hardware required to enjoy a good balance between excellent visuals and good, consistent performance. Right now, we've only seen the game running on the Sony platform, but we're intrigued to see how Far Cry 4 scales on PC, and there's also the small matter of Xbox One to address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I know I called anyone who pre-orders a total FOOL, but after the reviews and the DF article reassuring me it's a great game and technically accomplished, and after having checked that it's just a 26GB download (I refuse to get games in their 40's GB on the PSN), it is now downloading on my PS4 and will be ready to be played when released on the 18th YAY!

Last edited:
Also updated in techingames.net, added HRAA as an option under aliasing, and also the link to the Siggraph paper. And you mean 1920x1080 ;)

Also updated in techingames.net, added HRAA as an option under aliasing, and also the link to the Siggraph paper. And you mean 1920x1080 ;)

Yeah, dunno what I was thinking there. I copied and pasted most of it but just typed out that short line. Corrected :oops:

Well I now I called anyone who pre-orders a total FOOL, but after the reviews and the DF article reassuring me it's a great game and technically accomplished, and after having checked that it's just a 26GB download (I refuse to get games in their 40's GB on the PSN), it is now downloading on my PS4 and will be ready to be played when released on the 18th YAY!

Wait, you are saying that you pre-ordered the game just because there was no review embargo and the game actually got (good) scores and technical analysis days before the release? :confused: Someone must warn the dev team of AC!

Here some high quality jpgs from the lastest DF article...give it to me already! (/checking pre-load timer)

b.bmp.jpg

Lighting inside the vehicule is really good IMO.
7.bmp.jpg

Next gen fur shaders + bloodstain confirmed:
8.bmp.jpg

This game was on my watch list, but it's off after seeing gameplay. Visually, the game is just not appealing at all. It's so bland. And the gameplay just looks like generic shooter.

This game was on my watch list, but it's off after seeing gameplay. Visually, the game is just not appealing at all. It's so bland. And the gameplay just looks like generic shooter.

Was on your watch list? Did the great reviews make you back away? It is outscoring just about everything that isn't a rerelease including Sunset Overdrive, COD, Destiny, Mordor, etc.

Far Cry games, if you have never tried one, are sandbox shooters. If you see an outpost you want to take but are outnumbered 12 to 1 you can stealth, let animals out to help fight, snipe from a distant hill, drive through the front door, set the surroundings on fire, etc. Now in FC4 you can ride elephants, personal helicopters and have a friend join you in co-op.

Lifeless? I can't imagine what that even means. Far Cry games have always had an interesting mix of native NPCs, enemies and animals.

Check this out:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/a-maniacs-guide-to-the-animals-of-far-cry-4/2300-6421807/

Back