Far Cry 4

yeah, same here about FC3, shooter of last gen for me (if one doesn't count Destiny as a last gen game) but i have the opposite nagging feeling about FC4 in my head that this might turn out a mess :-/ ! I don't know why I feel that, but I do. FC3 did everyhting right, that doesn't really happen everyday. and didn't the FC3 director make Child of Light (again awesome gameplay mechanics) ? So, he isn't on this one, the guy who made it all come together in a fun way is , I am guessing , not on FC4.

Appaerntly the devs are going to take a panel on "Stealth in FC4" in AUstralia somewhere soon. Hope we get to see more, I haven't seen enough to put in my pre order yet.

Apart from the dumb story (trying to be edgy for the sake of being edgy) I really liked Far Cry 3. My one concern for Far Cry 4 is the mountain setting which leaves me wondering that the verticality of the enviroment will compromise the openness of the world. But options like full-guns-blazing or stealth do appeal.

And let's be honest, with Battlefield having left the battlefield and COD:Advanced Warfare really not appealing to me, I think Far Cry 4 may well win as my shooter this holiday season.

Launching on the same day as GTA V though. Ouch!

Is it just me or do the guns look like they are being held at a weird angle?

From gaffer R_Deckard:

"I played this a few weeks ago on PS4 and it was absolutely rock solid 30 at 1080 and the AA solution (HRAA) is one of the best yet a really clean game that even with 10 guys on screen a helicopter and explosions it never dropped a beat was really impressed.

No issues at all with screen tear, performance was bob on and game was a load of fun.
"

Gamersyde uploaded several videos of FC4 gameplay.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_we_previewed_far_cry_4-15953_en.html

Looks really, really good. Gameplay, open world environments, immersion (graphics): eveything looked really neat and fun.

What I watched (3 videos) was rock solid 30fps and most importantly really looked responsive.

I am positively surprised at the image quality. Their HRAA is really doing the job apparently even on those midly compressed videos (not the usual High Quality).

http://www.mweb.co.za/games/ViewNew...ry-4-is-totally-different-from-Far-Cry-3.aspx

Lot of info here. Game also has an Infamous kindof choice during quests, which is new for FC, so its good to see they didn't stop. My only wish would be a real AI sub system like the Nemesis system in Mordor, that is so fab and brings the whole NPC ecosystem to life.

I think FC4 is on the right track. Fingers crossed. Just don't hold my hand too much, thats the only thing that gets me worked up in games.

EDIT:Yeah, the IQ of the GSyde videos had me surprised too. i was expecting jaggies, but couldn't find much. Good job Ubi.

Looking forward to this game! I liked FC3, but never finished it...don't even know why?!?

But yeah, new game...new chance :D

I remember that with FC3 I had troubles with my framerate on my PC and I couldn't make it run really smooth in some parts...so this time I will also watch what the console versions achieve...

Edit: just watched a gamersyde vid...console version looks very good (it seems that only a few fire effects are low res).

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the new locations and the density of foliage, it surprises me how much better looking jungle is than FC3's. Also props to the devs for decent animal fur, really makes everything look alive, do take notice CDPR. Will definitely get it day one 1080p/30 no less.

Looking forward to this game! I liked FC3, but never finished it...don't even know why?!?

But yeah, new game...new chance :D

I remember that with FC3 I had troubles with my framerate on my PC and I couldn't make it run really smooth in some parts...so this time I will also watch what the console versions achieve...

Edit: just watched a gamersyde vid...console version looks very good (it seems that only a few fire effects are low res).

I hope you did the flamethrower/dubstep part..

Yeah, the lack of rain in FC4 would turn it instantly into a no-buy. In fact, I'd go so far as to say every developer involved in the game should retire, sell all their worldly possessions and go and live in a shack in the middle of a swamp so they never get the opportunity to defile a game in such a way ever again.

Yeah, the lack of rain in FC4 would turn it instantly into a no-buy. In fact, I'd go so far as to say every developer involved in the game should retire, sell all their worldly possessions and go and live in a shack in the middle of a swamp so they never get the opportunity to defile a game in such a way ever again.

Exactly :yep2: !

I can't even remember for the life of me if there was rain or realtime time of day in FC3. I do remember some scenes were at night but I was obviously too busy having fun playing the game to notice.

I can't even remember for the life of me if there was rain or realtime time of day in FC3. I do remember some scenes were at night but I was obviously too busy having fun playing the game to notice.

There was accelerated real time of day (sometimes with nice lighting during sunrises and sunsets) but no rain at all in FC3.

At least we'll have some very atmospheric blizzard in FC4, it's an improvement:

wagb.png

I liked the weather changes in FC3 and really wanted to see that expanded on to have a real impact on gameplay. But then FC4 is an old generation game so maybe they had to make compromises.

There was accelerated real time of day (sometimes with nice lighting during sunrises and sunsets) but no rain at all in FC3.
:???: There was rain in Far Cry 3. The game looking stunning during heavy rain and thunder storms.

Back