Far Cry 4

@London-boy: tried out with the slider at standard settings: it helped, but still I had the impression that I am looking through sunglasses. I changed in my Plasma TV the gama setting from 2.2 to 1.8 and this made it a much better image to me wrt to the sunglasses effect...not perfect, but better.

I don't think it's an issue related to plasma screens I think the game is just dark. I'm using a Sony Bravia X8505 4K LCD, Tri-luminous pixel gibbons and wotnot and every game thus far has looked great once brightness is set in each games calibration menu but Far Cry 4 is dark when you follow it's brightness calibration suggestion. I've cranked it up (about 20% on the slider) and it looks much better now.

Anyone wants to invite me to have an hour of co-op, I've got the demo installed ... ;)

So I spent hours on this game and I love it. Technically it's just brilliant. But gameplay wise it's definitely not perfect. It still has those stupid "kill this guy with this weapon and if you don't you fail and start again" missions. Or the missions after the point where somehow the enemies develop Superman's vision and the mission fails and stars again as soon as you're detected, no matter what your strategy was or what you could do to work around that.
The fashion week missions especially where you're tasked to kill a special animal with bullet proof fur with only one weapon, decided by the game, are just stupid.
Anything that restricts the freedoms upon which far cry is built just feels like a step back and sometimes totally idiotic.
Still, best game in my ps4 so far.

I'm not that far in but all of the restrictive condition missions seem to be optional side missions so you can be skipped. This was the case in Far Cry 3, certainly.

Please tell me this is still the case.

They are side missions but if you want to level up, get more skills and get more and bigger bags - which later on you will very much need - you're going to have to do them!

Last edited:
Ok, what's your PSN id?

Thanks for the key and the session. :) It was short, but sweet. Had to get used to the controls a bit, but that went smooth enough. As a single player I don't think this is for me, but with co-op I think it's good fun for sure. We'll see if when I've spent the 1:48 I have left if this is a game I need to have. ;) (right now there are too many good games coming out it seems ;) I'm also tempated by Inquisition ... LBP3 is already bought, and I do intend to play through GTA V in first person mode, and finish AC:Unity (though with that game, not being in a hurry probably means a higher framerate at some point ;) ), so I have some work to do ...

Far Cry 4 runs well though and the co-op is good fun.

They are side missions but if you want to level up, get more skills and get more and bigger bags - which later on you will very much need - you're going to have to do them!

I maxed my holsters (to 4) within about 2 hours and the other bags are all upgraded to 2/4 or 3/4 as well as these were all animals kill. The remaining upgrades look animal kills as well. I'm almost karma lvl 5 and I don't think I've done a single side mission yet! I've just done the second Longinus mission and have more spare skill points than I can spend. I also have 1,500,000 k and saving that for weapons that unlock at karma lvl 6.

Maybe I've not progressed far enough to hit this wall yet. I'm enjoying it thus far though and just got a semi-decent rifle with scope and suppressor.

Liberated 3 bell towers and 3 outposts. I generally approach combat slowly and cautiously, MGS-style :)

I maxed my holsters (to 4) within about 2 hours and the other bags are all upgraded to 2/4 or 3/4 as well as these were all animals kill. The remaining upgrades look animal kills as well. I'm almost karma lvl 5 and I don't think I've done a single side mission yet! I've just done the second Longinus mission and have more spare skill points than I can spend. I also have 1,500,000 k and saving that for weapons that unlock at karma lvl 6.

Maybe I've not progressed far enough to hit this wall yet. I'm enjoying it thus far though and just got a semi-decent rifle with scope and suppressor.

Liberated 3 bell towers and 3 outposts. I generally approach combat slowly and cautiously, MGS-style :)
Wow... I've been through a lot more towers, fortresses and outposts, crafted everything that can be crafted and I'm not at Karma level 6 yet... And definitely don't have 1.5M in the wallet, but then again I probably spend money as badly as I do in real life.
EDIT: Sorry, read it wrong! you're not at level 6 yet.

Well if you want to max out all the crafting items, you will have to at least do all the fashion week side missions. And they can be quite annoying.

Wow... I've been through a lot more towers, fortresses and outposts, crafted everything that can be crafted and I'm not at Karma level 6 yet... And definitely don't have 1.5M in the wallet, but then again I probably spend money as badly as I do in real life.
EDIT: Sorry, read it wrong! you're not at level 6 yet.

I skin every dead animal, it doesn't matter if I killed it or not. If it's dead, it's skinned. I loot every dead body. Friend or foe, basically everything dead is looted. I try to do all the karma events. Trucks and couriers are very common in some areas of the map (e.g. near the monastery). Every hostage is rescued, bow kills or headshots for speed and economy. I fix cars (cash rewards) and help the rebels (cash rewards) and I hit every chest that appears on the map.

This doesn't even take a lot of time because your moving around all the time anyway. It's not like I set out to grind but I try to seize every opportunity for cash and karma :)

I do that too but maybe I spend a lot more!

Maybe. I really like the bow and use it extensively. The arrows can be reclaimed plus clean bow (and knife) kills result in karma as well. I also use bait to attract animals a fair bit. This is double ka-ching because you can kill the animal and skin, reclaim your arrow and bait and carry on endlessly. I'm not doing this because I'm tight with my money, I genuinely like to take out entire campus without anybody raising the alarm.

I've also been investing in the maps (25k to 50k on average per map) as they help you find chests. This is my progress thus far, note that general lack of chests :)

2014-11-23%20Far%20Cry%204%20-%20map%20progress.jpg

Actually only a million in K - I forgot I just bought that rifle and suppressor and scope upgrades. Oh and the sidearm grenade launcher. I like to keep it handy, for close encounters! :D Those rhino are sneaky buggers.

I see what you mean about the fashion missions. I assumed that the level 4 bag upgrades were just rare animals that needed tracking, now I see that are rewards from fashion missions which are restricted-weapon kills. I really disliked those in Far Cry 3 :mad: I'll probably only persevere with the ones I really need. I.e., I don't need a bigger bait bag and rarely use explosives so can give that a miss too.

Far too noisy for a bow-wielding ninja :)

So I spent hours on this game and I love it. Technically it's just brilliant. But gameplay wise it's definitely not perfect. It still has those stupid "kill this guy with this weapon and if you don't you fail and start again" missions. Or the missions after the point where somehow the enemies develop Superman's vision and the mission fails and stars again as soon as you're detected, no matter what your strategy was or what you could do to work around that.
The fashion week missions especially where you're tasked to kill a special animal with bullet proof fur with only one weapon, decided by the game, are just stupid.
Anything that restricts the freedoms upon which far cry is built just feels like a step back and sometimes totally idiotic.
Still, best game in my ps4 so far.

This arbitrary nonsense is bugging me in AC Unity as well. So they finally made the missions a lot more open-ended, but they still couldn't resist sneaking these stupid extra goals in there: perform 3 corner kills; perform 4 head shots, disable all the alarms. My target is already incapacitated because some angry grave diggers knocked him out (which is a really cool little emergent mechanic in AC Unity), but I still feel compelled to execute 3 haystack kills before delivering the killing blow. Sure, you can just ignore them (which is good), but it still feels like I'm somehow playing the game wrong if I do so.

Eagles are the new cliffracers. Seriously who came up with this stuff. lol I want a no-eagles mod.

Eagles are the new cliffracers. Seriously who came up with this stuff. lol I want a no-eagles mod.

Haha! They annoyed me for a few hours but once I got a semi-decent rifle I just began shooting them. They almost always make that piercing shriek when hunting and unless attacking, or directly above you, their flight paths are quite predictable. And when they are attacking they are a really easy kill. Plus you hate to feel smug and get karma. Killing eagles is always good karma :)

I have so many black eagle feathers and there seems no use for them!

The worst is when they attack you out of the blue while you're either sneaking behind some guy, or trying to kill someone or some beast, or while ANYTIME YOU DON'T NEED A F'KING EAGLE ATTACKING YOU WHILE YOU HAVE SHIT TO DO FFS!!!

That and continually running into groups of people screaming about eagles and emptying assault rifles into the sky is just extremely eye-rollingly stupid.

Also, I've had the chance to play the game on Radeon 6970 2GB, GeForce 750 Ti 2GB and GeForce 970 4GB now and to say AMD has less enjoyable fluidity is an understatement. I have to drop the 6970 2GB to medium detail to get it running without nearly constant hitching. The 750 Ti which should be slower runs the game much better. Apparently this is a problem with all AMD hardware. It's strange because the general performance is good but there's that frequent stutter. It seems like it hangs up on something, like some memory management issue or shader program running horribly.

Does the game run pretty fluidly on the consoles?

Last edited:
Back