Far Cry (360) interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definatly can't see any advantages over the PC version at this stage - especially not with the SM3 patch and 64bit enhancements. Does this version even have HDR?

PeterT said:
Where's the AA? I don't see anything there that should preclude them from using 2xAA at least. Sloppy.

The game isn't done yet. 2xaa is required, no?

Obviously this is the first engine, I don't even have to look at the pictures to know that. Crytek is developing CryEngine 2, which will be used first for Crysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
chroniceyestrain said:
The game isn't done yet.
That may be it, but it would be a bit strange to have AA disabled during development when it's meant to be in the final built. But you're probably right.

chroniceyestrain said:
The game isn't done yet. 2xaa is required, no?

Well seeing as how all games were supposed to have : 4xAA, working without HDD, 720p and how those none of those promises were kept I wouldn't doubt that AA won't be present.

That said it could well be that this lacks AA because it is a dev build.

Luminescent said:
Remember that for the 360 and upcoming consoles, previous gen visuals are considered to be those produced by their predecesors (i.e. xbox, ps2, etc.), not high end pcs of late or the pc platform in general.

exactly.

to me that *is* next gen if it looks like a high end PC.

Plus, in the 2nd and 3rd gen titles I'm sure we will exceed even that. For now, compared to last gen PS2/Xbox, I'm thrilled with "Next gen".

rounin said:
Well seeing as how all games were supposed to have : 4xAA, working without HDD, 720p and how those none of those promises were kept I wouldn't doubt that AA won't be present.

That said it could well be that this lacks AA because it is a dev build.
Can you link me to where MS said 4xAA was required? I only remember ATI mentioning that 4xaa was practically 'free'. Also, they never said that games working without the HDD was a requirement. That Allard quote shouldn't be taken as MS official stance, it was taken out of context. Allard said: “I don’t know who we’ve let down. There isn’t a game on 360 that you can’t play without a hard drive, so I think that’s a good thing for consumers." When he said that, it was already known that FF XI was coming and would require a HDD. So that statement doesn't really make much sense.

At GDC Europe 2005 MS outlined what the requirements would be. You can find the details here: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050831/carless_01.shtml its toward the end of the article

Finally, Vrignaud touched a little on some of the necessities for developers creating for the next-gen Xbox. He noted the compulsory requirement that all Xbox 360 titles must be 720p (1280 x 720) or above, and must also feature16.9 (widescreen) modes, as well as anti-aliasing (2x, 4x, or software based). He also noted a minimum 15 frames per second requirement at all times, partly in order for Microsoft-authored features such as the Guide to function properly.
speaks for itself

Touching on Xbox 360 storage, it was pointed out that the storage medium is abstracted, so games will need to chose between multiple resources, but it shouldn't necessarily presume what that resource is.
Meaning that as long as the free space on the storage medium allows the game to save its data, developers don't need to consider what the storage medium is. Nowhere do they say that developers can't make a game that requires a HDD.

They dropped the ball regarding 720p though.

Tap In said:
exactly.

to me that *is* next gen if it looks like a high end PC.

Plus, in the 2nd and 3rd gen titles I'm sure we will exceed even that. For now, compared to last gen PS2/Xbox, I'm thrilled with "Next gen".

I dunno, looking at the new CryTek demo that's what I want for next gen. I'm very dissapointed with FarCry for 360, instincts on xbox was a very nice looking game, 360 version needs to make that jump, instead it just looks like the same game souped up.

Maybe it's comparable to high end PC games, but it's not comparable to GR, FN3, GOW, MGS4, Battlefield, Splinter Cell and many many more games coming out.

consider how long they spent on the Xbox port and compare that to what they're spending on the 360 now...

scooby_dooby said:
Maybe it's comparable to high end PC games, but it's not comparable to GR, FN3, GOW, MGS4, Battlefield, Splinter Cell and many many more games coming out.

true

those games look pretty danged good so far

scooby_dooby said:
I dunno, looking at the new CryTek demo that's what I want for next gen. I'm very dissapointed with FarCry for 360, instincts on xbox was a very nice looking game, 360 version needs to make that jump, instead it just looks like the same game souped up.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5161005423/m/6611075904
Watch the last post, there is a link for a 360 video (QT7 needed).
Thats really smell next gen :p

Video wont work for me..something about a compressor and not available from the quick time website. Any help?

How's it look?

Oh wow. This is a pretty incredible video guys you need to check it out!

It's very high qaulity and directly compares the PC original Far Cry and X360. Yeah, the difference is AMAZING. They even do a split screen, the x360 water with rolling waves is stunning!

One of the more impressive 360 vids yet..

On 2nd thought I guess the video is not that impressive. Other than the water not too much looks different. It is pretty nice though.

Far Cry is "only" about two years old though (released march 2004), so it's not like it's a really old game being put to shame.

Would be nicer to see a comp with the current PC version. Still, I'm sure the 360 version is early as well. It definitly puts the screens in a new light, and gets me a bit hyped for the game now.

Daryl said:
On 2nd thought I guess the video is not that impressive. Other than the water not too much looks different. It is pretty nice though.

The detail on the boat is way better, the trees look great too but he never gets close enough to see. Look at the the textures in the boat though(seats), the difference is huge.

scooby_dooby said:
The detail on the boat is way better, the trees look great too but he never gets close enough to see. Look at the the textures in the boat though(seats), the difference is huge.

Given that the game isn't out yet, Farcry is almost 2 years old, and Crysis is out in less than a year, its a more valid comparison to compare the 360 version of Farcry to Crisis than it is to compare it to the "old" Farcry. If you really want to compare Farcry to something and see what gets "murdered", compare it to console games of 2 years ago. At least you would be comparing 2 games which where actually available to buy at the time and not one in development against one thats almost 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back