Far Cry 3

There's various types of SSAO you can choose on PC (and of course turn it off).

Sorry, I was talking about videos from the X360 version.

Another thing that's bothering me is that the shapes of the eyelids aren't properly modeled and it ruins the human faces, lack of good eye shaders doesn't help either.

I guess nothing says userfriendliness like an online pass, a patch, a 5.8 GB install and registering to U-play.

I bought the digital version no patch, and installed itself while I was sleeping :)

IMO the graphics are very, very nice on the ps3. Some parts just look insane! Like it alot do far!!

Game of this generation ! The game is stellar on the ps3 ! Totally unexpected !

COD 4, MGS 4, Uncharted 2, Skyrim and this are my games of the generation. But this sums up many of the best things from all the others in one or another way:
-from COD 4: the gunplay.
-from MGS 4: the sneaking.
-from Uncharted 2: some settings and those giant shielded enemies... ( best kind of enemies of the gen ).
-from Skyrim: the openess.

Plus the crazy AI situations and freedom of enjoyable games like Saints Row, Just Cause, etc.
And without forgetting that IMHO it has the best open world engine out there.

Saying that if I had to choose my GOTY of the gen it would still be Uncharted 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played it for two hours (PC) and I'm already kinda bored to be honest. The introduction really impressed me, but then the game essentially pissed any last shred of tension and believability away the second it decided to turn into an mmo-fetch-quest-all-you-can-eat-buffet and made Jason Brah-dy the great white savior.

Otherwise it feels like a less annoying version of Farcry2, except in a more conventional and less interesting setting.

I posted this in GAF but I'll post it here as well.

I donno if people already know this or if this has already been mentioned, but the way TOD in this game works is....funny ! Basically the game time won't progress AT ALL if you are standing absolutely still, but as you move you can see the shadows move as well, which means the TOD cycle works only if you push either of the analogue sticks in any direction (with the left analogue it's a constant change but if you stand still and just use your right analogue then the TOD works only when you are doing any sort of movement with the right analogue stick).

Try this fun experiment:
Give the left analogue stick a small nudge so that it's off it's default place but your character is still standing still (or barely moving), you'll see something similar to a timelapse video in real time !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Major Nelson got me interested in this game after tweeting this...

@MajorNelson said:
#FarCry3 : It's a little Red Dead meets Skyrim with some Assassin's Creed and a dash of Splinter Cell thrown in

Is that really what the game feels like? I LOVED Red Dead & Splinter Cell. Unfortunately I never played Far Cry 2. I did finish Far Cry 1 on the original Xbox. Could I step into FC3 without playing FC2?

Tommy McClain

There is no story connection between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 (or between 1 & 2 for that matter). You'd have no problem stepping straight into 3. It's a pretty brilliant game. Absolutely gorgeous on PC with a pretty large variety of things to do in an absolutely enormous open world. There's a great stealth kill mechanic, the hunting of various wild animals, great vehicles to play with and crash, you climb rickety old towers to reveal sections of map and to top it off there's some pretty great writing and characters in the game. Combat feels great and is super dynamic, there's RPG-lite crafting systems, and a skill tree. I like it enough that I've been having trouble falling to sleep at night because I can't stop thinking about it.

What a fine fine game ! The siZe and scope of the wolrd is mindblowing ! Graphics are beyond beautiful even on the ps3 and sorry for saying there is no variety in environments, cos there is, there are huge mointains which are a f**king treat to climb and find relics and explore and hunt and what have u done Ubisoft ?!?**You have created the game of this generation !!!!!!!!

There is no story connection between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 (or between 1 & 2 for that matter). You'd have no problem stepping straight into 3. It's a pretty brilliant game. Absolutely gorgeous on PC with a pretty large variety of things to do in an absolutely enormous open world. There's a great stealth kill mechanic, the hunting of various wild animals, great vehicles to play with and crash, you climb rickety old towers to reveal sections of map and to top it off there's some pretty great writing and characters in the game. Combat feels great and is super dynamic, there's RPG-lite crafting systems, and a skill tree. I like it enough that I've been having trouble falling to sleep at night because I can't stop thinking about it.

Wow that actually sounds pretty good. The RPG-lite sounds a little like Bioshock too. Any co-op on Xbox? Because if I can't play with my buddy Rancid, I'm not biting right away. I would have to wait until it's in the $10 bin.

Tommy McClain

I posted this in GAF but I'll post it here as well.

I donno if people already know this or if this has already been mentioned, but the way TOD in this game works is....funny ! Basically the game time won't progress AT ALL if you are standing absolutely still, but as you move you can see the shadows move as well, which means the TOD cycle works only if you push either of the analogue sticks in any direction (with the left analogue it's a constant change but if you stand still and just use your right analogue then the TOD works only when you are doing any sort of movement with the right analogue stick).

Try this fun experiment:
Give the left analogue stick a small nudge so that it's off it's default place but your character is still standing still (or barely moving), you'll see something similar to a timelapse video in real time !! :)

Is that true ?!??!? :LOL: that would be the weirdest TOD i,plementation ever ! So, I am the time lord in this game? If I move the time moves Lol !

Back