Far Cry 3

I so wish completing the story missions was not necessary to get to the second island.

Sexism, racism and homophobia are facts of life but the way they are handled in this game at times makes it feel like it was wrriten by someone from a 1980s logging town. It's such a letdown compared to Far Cry 2 which handled this uniquely well.

Examples

1. anyone with brown skin is either a retard, there for sex appeal or unable to help themselves in any meaningful fashion (great white hope revisited)
2. only gay character (so far anyway) is rapist psychopath
3. not particularly funny ex-wife "jokes" strewn about in the logbook entries

It's like they wanted the story missions to be like Uncharted but the only writer available was Andrew Dice Clay's unfunny cousin.

Cheers

After upgrading everything and having immense fun in the open world, I finally decided to do some story missions as all my skill points were piling up:

Frankly, the story mission feel weak compared to the superb open world game they made. Characters seem like a joke , after the initial good impression by Vaas ! Jason Brody seems like a small kid out in the park to play, he is just stoopid in the way he speaks and what he speaks, i mean really bad man, bad writing and characterisation.

If the skills were not tied to the story missions, I wouldn't play anymore of them. Capturing outposts and hunting for skins is immensely much better made than those weird cheesy characters. Hope it improves later, or damnit if it doesn't, cos there's enoigh to do outside the story.

I've captured all the radio towers and cleared out all the outposts but I'm on the doppleganger mission now which I am just not enjoying at all.
The stealth feels forced and it's just far too easy to get noticed. And I hate the way in which it puts you right back at the beginning when you do fail. Lots.

Also I managed to get all the way through the mission and saved the game but when I started again I was right back at the beginning. So I just drove around and killed all the pirates instead. But I kind of can't be bothered with it now as I can't work up the enthusiasm to even attempt the doppleganger mission again. :(

I'd really like you guys to go read the PA Report on Far Cry 3 and tell me what you think.

It is a bit spoilerific so you might not want to if you haven't finished the game yet, but it really seems like an example of the lead writer saying "My game's story is so great, you are all just too stupid to understand it."

It's an interesting read for that reason alone. My game isn't using cheap stereotypes! My game is making fun of cheap stereotypes! It's meta man, really!

..eh

So it's supposed to be from the "Starship Troopers" school? The story must do something spectactular to back that up or they utterly failed at getting any of that across.

The game is so fantastic in its open world. Yesterday, dogs liberated an outpost for me and gt me 1500 XP for free :D ! I didn't do anything at all !

This is one of the most two sided games ever made. On one side is the sandbox gameplay, lots of exploration, setting your own goals, fun unexpected things happening. All of that is great. But on the other side are the story missions, and all of that is horrible. The story is terrible, the missions are crap limiting you at very turn, they can't even get highly scripted setpieces right. Nobody would be playing through this if it wasn't a requirement to unlock all of the skills.

Very true ! I wouldn't touch the story missions winth a stick if I was not forced to do so. I love the open world, thogh, so I keep continuing ! Lovely game outaide of the story missions, but then I haven't played that many of the story missions , they might get better later on.

Vaas
just died. I can't claim responsibility for it though. It's true that I don't really like QTE's, but to actually have a cutscene kill him is even worse. Oh well, RIP only good character.

New patch reset outposts

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/753983-New-Features-and-Changes-in-Far-Cry-3

New Features and Changes in Far Cry 3

Player feedback is an important part any game’s community. The ability to get first-hand impressions from players and what they think about the product is vital to make a game even more enjoyable. Thanks to the feedback, we are able to expand upon or add to the game experience.

During the games first few months, the Far Cry 3 Team has been collecting feedback from our players; those who enjoy the storyline, those who play online as well as our map makers. New functionality has been requested, and some have suggested improvements to already existing features. So here are some of the features that can be expected in upcoming patches:

Single Player: Ability to Reset Outposts

A big part of Far Cry 3’s single player experience is taking over the outposts manned by Vaas’s pirates and Hoyt’s privateers. These outposts, when taken, offer a safe place to resupply as well as a base of operations when exploring new parts of the Rook Islands.

Taking over an outpost as a player also presents a fun challenge; everything from how to approach the outpost to what weapons and tactics to use. Hence, a lot of community members have requested to be able to ‘reset’ the outposts, so that they can be taken-over again.

Here is how it works:

• After conquering all the outposts and completing the game, the player can reset the outposts by selecting “Reset Outposts” in the gameplay options menu.
• Doing this will reset and make all Outposts hostile again. All incomplete side missions and quests will become hidden. In order to finish the incomplete side missions, you will have to retake the outposts again.

http://i.imgur.com/dQw6jgm.jpg

Single Player: MASTER - A New Difficulty Setting

For those that have already completed the game on Adventurer, Survivor or Warrior settings and are looking for the next bill challenge, the all-new MASTER difficulty setting will be added in an upcoming patch of the game. Seasoned veterans will find themselves challenged by more aggressive wildlife, tougher pirates, and more deadly privateers. Your skills as a master of the Rook Islands will be tested.

http://i.imgur.com/QZApt30.jpg

Multiplayer: Feedback on User-Created Maps

The feedback system (while already having some information that is useful for other players looking for maps) has been expanded upon to give more information to the map makers. A new, more intuitive feedback interface and the addition of “feedback tags” have been added.

http://i.imgur.com/oCcLi3A.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hbkc6xC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wHqpo6c.jpg

Multiplayer: New Beta Map Testing and Spectating for Map Makers

The Problem:
With the current system, when a map maker has finished their map, they upload and publish it, essentially just sending it out "into the wild". They are hoping that it will get sufficient plays in order to get some valuable feedback. With a ballooning amount of user-made maps, this becomes harder and harder. The map maker can also have hard time finding enough players to play the map with, so they can judge for themselves where the map can be improved.

The Solution:
1. Someone makes a map in the editor and uploads or publishes it.
2. They start their map with a special option called “Start Beta Test”.
3. Other players who wish to help out with testing new maps, can join the new Beta Test Playlist or go into the Map Archive where all current maps in Beta Test will be displayed.
4. While in Beta test mode, the map creator can use the new spectating feature to monitor how their map is played.
5. After the round is finished, the players give feedback that the mapmaker can then use to improve the map.

http://i.imgur.com/TYTlzPf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/igM3CrY.jpg

Multiplayer: Find Other Maps by the Same Author

Suppose you play a map you really like, and you want to find more maps by that same author. You’d favorite the map, go to the Map Archive and (after the patch has been implemented) search for more maps from the same author. It shines the spotlight on a good authors’ other maps, and also gives the author an incitement to improve all the maps he/she has uploaded and published.

Multiplayer: Removing Idle Kick Time in Custom Matches

Far Cry 3 removes idle players from a match after a few minutes, to ensure the quality of online play. This works well in the standard playlists to weed out inactive players. But players of custom matches have told us that they typically like a much longer wait time before that happens, or want it removed completely. So in keeping with your requests: from now on, “idle kick” is disabled in private and custom matches (MP and Co-Op).

Multiplayer: “Skip Map” Voting System

The community has told us that the voting system for skipping a map in the user map playlists lacks a certain degree of visibility and provides too short a window for people to cast their vote. We have now made it more visible and also extended the time people have to cast their vote

Awesome! Just what this game needs. Just yesterday I was thinking about how sad it was that there wasnt a way to reset outposts and that the difficulty level was to low!

I just love the freedom of this game

Back