Famitsu Sales (VF Nº1)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Am I understanding you right here? Did you just call Wii Sports a huge franchise and VF5 a niche franchise? Are you actually saying your shocked that VF5 sold slighly more in its first week then Wii Sports or Pokemon sold in there 11th and 20th weeks respectively?..
Actually yes.
It came as an explanation for posting #2, "gut-feeling" edition. I didn't have the absolutes when that paragraph first dropped onto my keyboard, which was before I even went digging for the Wii Sports expected sales per week, and yeah, 50k isn't all that hot.

I only knew Wii Sports is a platform-defining must-have title that follows the curve of the "touch generation" software. It will sell a steady amount of units forever. It's on a console with currently 2,5x the userbase. Plus it's an attractive first-game proposition for the Wii, which sells at 3x the rate of the PS3 in Japan right now.

I knew that Pokémon Diamond/Pearl are the latest entrants of the biggest franchise ever, they are the fastest selling games ever on the fastest selling games machine ever. I knew the games are on their steady march to 5 million and beyond in Japan alone.

In retrospect my judgement has failed me, but I don't think I'll be ashamed about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow at the DSL, & Wii is still impressive. VF5 helped PS3 only a touch, but maybe at the expense of the PS2?

Media Create hardware numbers:

DSL 201,177
Wii 78,550
PSP 32,175
PS3 23,431
PS2 16,033
Xbox360 4,811
GBASP 980
GBM 884
GC 383
DS 121
GBA 36

It would be very interesting to see Sony's projections for Japan vs. actual sales. I'm quite sure they're off but how much would be the key. The other factor to watch will be the software sales per week for VF5 in relation the hardware sales boost the PS3 receives from it.

One thing to note, by the time the PS3 drops in price enough to get some good sales numbers going, the Wii will have already done it's business and put a load of money in Nintendo's pockets. One key factor we all seem to forget is that Nintendo's hardware is not subsidized.

While we can argue, "but is it next gen?" all day, we can't take away from it's rapidly growing marketshare with no slowdown in sight. It's the next ipod......except it took off right away instead of waiting 3 years. At the end of the day, it's about making money and right now Nintendo is doing a much better job of it than the other two.

One key factor we all seem to forget is that Nintendo's hardware is not subsidized.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end the PS3 turns out not to be subsidized either. They have a tradition of not doing that. Perhaps they broke with this tradition for the 20gb version in Japan, but I'm not sure they did for any other version in the world.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end the PS3 turns out not to be subsidized either. They have a tradition of not doing that. Perhaps they broke with this tradition for the 20gb version in Japan, but I'm not sure they did for any other version in the world.

:?: I believe Carl recently posted a Sony slide show cumulative profits as well as the spikes of dips, showing a significant dip around the PS2 launch that went back into the black and subsequently broken even and beyond.

I guess the fact that the game has been out in the arcades before hitting the console may have an impact on intial sales. Why spend 60 bucks for a game when you can go play it for change in the Arcades?

I guess the fact that the game has been out in the arcades before hitting the console may have an impact on intial sales. Why spend 60 bucks for a game when you can go play it for change in the Arcades?

Tell that to people who bought Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Having the game at home means you can play in the comfort of your own home. No need to put in money every time you lose. Being able to pause the fight while you use the bathroom is also a big plus! You can play as long as you want without having to leave your house to go to the local arcades.

Tell that to people who bought Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Having the game at home means you can play in the comfort of your own home. No need to put in money every time you lose. Being able to pause the fight while you use the bathroom is also a big plus! You can play as long as you want without having to leave your house to go to the local arcades.

Agreed and the fact of that you get this fuzz feeling of owning something you pride and enjoy so much. I think I've got all the SF2 SNES games... :LOL:

Agreed and the fact of that you get this fuzz feeling of owning something you pride and enjoy so much. I think I've got all the SF2 SNES games... :LOL:

Yup, I went out and bought SF2 and SF@ Turbo on the very first day as well. I got Super a few months after release. I probably would have gotten Super on day one if it weren't for the confusion with Super Turbo.

Tell that to people who bought Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat.
Did SF2 and MK come out on new and expensive hardware? That is, were people buying those games + $n hundred of console rather than play them in the arcade? I would never spend $500 for a console to play just one game, but I don't think I'm very representative! I still find it difficult to imagine that people who are keen to play VF5 would spend $500 on just that. Especially when they know that game is coming to a cheaper console if that's the only game they care about.

I still find it difficult to imagine that people who are keen to play VF5 would spend $500 on just that. Especially when they know that game is coming to a cheaper console if that's the only game they care about.

I don't think its the case of people buying the PS3 for just 1 game (VF5 in this case), but its the game that tipped them over the edge while waiting on the fence or waiting for something to justifying the purchase of the PS3 while knowing there will be games they'll want on the platform in the [near] future.

I don't think its the case of people buying the PS3 for just 1 game (VF5 in this case), but its the game that tipped them over the edge while waiting on the fence or waiting for something to justifying the purchase of the PS3 while knowing there will be games they'll want on the platform in the [near] future.

Agreed. People are not blank slates, there are 100+ million Playstation owners, many who are waiting on the PS3. If they are still playing PS2 games, they need the motivation for a PS3. A next gen refresh of their favorite series might make them pull the trigger.

Did SF2 and MK come out on new and expensive hardware? That is, were people buying those games + $n hundred of console rather than play them in the arcade? I would never spend $500 for a console to play just one game, but I don't think I'm very representative! I still find it difficult to imagine that people who are keen to play VF5 would spend $500 on just that. Especially when they know that game is coming to a cheaper console if that's the only game they care about.

Say hello to the first Virtua Fighter on the Sega Saturn. The Sega Genesis was never popular in Japan, but people flocked to buy Saturn when the first VF was launched with the system. A system that cost around 400 bucks back then. VF helped Saturn take the lead during the haydays of the 32 bit era.

Agreed. People are not blank slates, there are 100+ million Playstation owners, many who are waiting on the PS3. If they are still playing PS2 games, they need the motivation for a PS3. A next gen refresh of their favorite series might make them pull the trigger.

Unfortunatly PS3 sales aren't supporting that assertion.

Unfortunatly PS3 sales aren't supporting that assertion.

I guess I should be more clear, you missed my point completly or are just trolling.

Assertion:
1. PS2 owners are playing their PS2 games (yes they still make them!). FF12, GoW2 soon.
2. Favorite franchises are still under development for the PS3; VF5 is the first?
3. After enough next gen favorites appear, PS2 owners pull the trigger. F1, FF13, MGS4,Tekken 5, etc.

So explain how may assertion is wrong, can you see into the future?

Say hello to the first Virtua Fighter on the Sega Saturn. The Sega Genesis was never popular in Japan, but people flocked to buy Saturn when the first VF was launched with the system. A system that cost around 400 bucks back then. VF helped Saturn take the lead during the haydays of the 32 bit era.

In addition to the above example I'd like to add the fans of the VF series bought ps2's. If they owned ps2's would they not also assume the other games they bought on ps2 will be coming to ps3 as well?

Perhaps they have their doubts about what franchises will or will not be exclusive to the playstation brand. Or as you said perhaps the people there just don't feel the system is worth it. Maybe they are hoping for the "B" version or whatever it was called to appear on xb360 in Japan? :???:

Broad observation:
I don't have a unit count and I may be wrong in this as I don't follow ps3 releases closely but it seems many of the games coming out on ps3 do not have online play.:???:

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, if VF5 was the only game the PS3 played, I would still buy it -- much cheaper than an arcade unit.

The Japanese are arcade nuts, atleast that's what I hear, and I was under the impression that VF5 was PS3 exclusive in Japan only since there's no mention of a 360 version on their Japanese site, but both versions are stated on the English site . I could be reading too much into it tho.

o.o they have the Xbox live logo on the US site too. Us PS3 users are gonna get shafted again if it's online for the 360.

Back