NPD July 2011

AlphaWolf

Specious Misanthrope
Legend
Stolen from gaf

Software:

1. NCAA Football 12 - Electronic Arts (360, PS3) = ~796K (15% YoY Increase)
2. Cars 2 - Disney Interactive Studios (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Activision Blizzard (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - Disney Interactive Studios (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
5. Just Dance 2 - Ubisoft (Wii)
6. Major League Baseball 2K11 - Take-Two Interactive (360, Wii NDS, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC)
7. Zumba Fitness: Join The Party - Majesco (Wii, 360, Ps3)
8. Fallout: New Vegas - Bethesda Softworks/ZeniMax (360, PS3, PC)
9. New Super Mario Bros DS - Nintendo (NDS)
10. Mortal Kombat 2011 - Warner Brothers Interactive (360, PS3)

Hardware:

Xbox 360: 277K (-37.5%) [Top selling console, 45% of total 360/PS3/Wii sales.]
Wii: 190K
PS3: 148K (solved with math)

That's pretty embarrassing for console sales, but it is July.

So a little more than 300K for PS3/Wii combined?
I haven't bought a new game in a few months, so I'm contributing to the problem.

I'm interested to see if we will ever get digital downloads incorporated into the numbers.

190k is the worst month ever for the Wii.
148k the worst month since july 2009 for Sony.
277k the worst month since april 2010 for MS.

Only interesting thing is how well Nintendo does when everyone is down...

1. --
2. 1st, 2nd
3. 3rd, 4th (ahead of PC even)
4. 1st, 2nd
5. 1st
6. 2nd, 3rd
7. 1st
8. --
9. 1st
10. --

With regards to single SKU. If this were the old single SKU style of NPD release, the Top 10 would likely be dominated by Nintendo.

COD:BO is especially embarassing for PC, getting beaten by both the Wii and NDS versions. A franchise that had it's start on the PC.

Yes, all fairly meaningless but not much insight to gain in such a slow month. About the only other thing to possibly note is that it's possibly an indicator that Americans might finally have come out of the fantasy dream that the recession is going to end anytime soon.

Regards,
SB

It will be interesting to see how august fares, still summer, the economic crisis hiting back and not too many games. It could potentially be even worse...

well if the MS student promotion is indeed included in NPD numbers their August should be massive.

They may have promos. I think I saw advertisements about free 4Gb 360 bundled with PC sales last month. ^_^

it could be kinect

It's mainly the general population making "xbox" synonymous with "gaming" in the US. American's seem to like online and socializing and Live makes that easy.

I'm sure Kinect, promo's and such contribute but the public perception of Xbox in the US is very mainstream. "Playing xbox" is become quite the common term.

Whats driving Xbox sales in these times of strife?. Must be nationalism.

The US is the world's largest importer. This isn't consistent with a populace prone to buying a product out of nationalism.

WRT the 360/PC promotion; the PC and free 360 sale is allowing Microsoft to promote sales of both Windows PCs and 360's without eroding the existing price structures of either of those products. Not doing an actual price cut allows them to continue selling the 360 at it's normal retail price once the promotion is over. They also still have the ability to do a permanent price cut or do aggressive bundling going into the holidays depending on how they read the market. It's a very smart move, and one that Sony is executing with it's own VAIO-PS3 promotion (though they aren't marketing it as much). It probably burns them a little bit that they are actually doing some of MS's marketing for them when they market VAIOs.

Sony actually has several promotions. There is also buy a 3d tv, get a ps3 and buy an xperia play with contract get a ps3 on some carriers.

It's mainly the general population making "xbox" synonymous with "gaming" in the US. American's seem to like online and socializing and Live makes that easy.

I'm sure Kinect, promo's and such contribute but the public perception of Xbox in the US is very mainstream. "Playing xbox" is become quite the common term.

I kind of agree. I think it is a snowball effect, when something has become popular it doesn't need to be the best, have the best games and so on to sell, it sells because your friends have it and this day and age with online gaming really taking of for the consoles what console your friends have has become more important.

Of course promotions like they seem to have "over the pond" are importand and do generate sales, but don't exist in a vacuum. If the products you promote, even generous promotions, if people don't want them or see the value in them, they won't be that popular...

... when something has become popular it doesn't need to be the best, have the best games and so on to sell, it sells because your friends have it and this day and age with online gaming really taking of for the consoles what console your friends have has become more important.

Of course promotions like they seem to have "over the pond" are importand and do generate sales, but don't exist in a vacuum. If the products you promote, even generous promotions, if people don't want them or see the value in them, they won't be that popular...

Fortunately the Xbox brand seems to have all 3 of those things going for it. Great hardware product and games, friends/word of mouth and promotions and price points to encourage impulse buys.

Exactly what any successful business tries to achieve. Well done Microsoft.

I kind of agree. I think it is a snowball effect, when something has become popular it doesn't need to be the best, have the best games and so on to sell, it sells because your friends have it and this day and age with online gaming really taking of for the consoles what console your friends have has become more important.
Although you're right, you're phrasing this as if XB360 success in NA is unwarranted and unexpected! Rather than not being the best, it is the best, at least in there being no better gaming device, plus all round entertainment device in the US where it has such services as Netflix. There's no great surprise here; MS got the right product at the right price and have extended it with Kinect in a way that's proven successful. That's why it's selling!

Although you're right, you're phrasing this as if XB360 success in NA is unwarranted and unexpected! Rather than not being the best, it is the best, at least in there being no better gaming device, plus all round entertainment device in the US where it has such services as Netflix. There's no great surprise here; MS got the right product at the right price and have extended it with Kinect in a way that's proven successful. That's why it's selling!

Yeah, reading it again it might come of like that and as an xbox360 only owner I of course don't think that the 360 has an unwarranted success. On the contrary I am a bit surpized that it is not doing better in the Eurozone although there are reasons for that as well. This was just me taking a step back and looking at it from the outside, rather then "my" console is the best:smile:...

Back