Famitsu gives DOA 4: 10/9/9/9

Hardknock said:
Uhhh, hmmmm... if you honestly think Mortal Kombat or powerstone are on the same level as DOA I don't know what to say...
You were speaking on interactivity, no?
totally interactive, and absolutely unique.
?
I dont see how the same couldnt be said for power stone1/2, and especially mortal kombat.

Hardknock said:
Who was comparing DOA4 to other next gen fighters anyway? I was comparing DOA(the franchise) to other games(in the genre). And DOA(the franchise) has the best environments handsdown.
well to be honest I completely thought expletive was refering to that its a next gen title, it should have some next gen features that are new. Like kicking sand up, and other realistic events. Excuse me for not thinking that you were comparing doa4 to last gen titles. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
You were speaking on interactivity, no?

No I'm refering to level of quality. And while MK or PS might have some nice aspects, their overall implementation pales in comparision to DOA.

well to be honest I completely thought expletive was refering to that its a next gen title, it should have some next gen features that are new. Like kicking sand up, and other realistic events. Excuse me for not thinking that you were comparing doa4 to last gen titles. o_O

You still don't seem to get it. Let me restate it again for you:

I was comparing DOA(the franchise) to other games(in the genre). And DOA(the franchise) has the best environments handsdown.

I'm sorry it was so confusing for you.

Hardknock said:
Do you know how much work goes into their backgrounds compared to other games in the genre? Cut em some slack :p

Funny that they have dust kicking up on the other levels already, they could have just colored it yellow. :)

Hardknock said:
No I'm refering to level of quality. And while MK or PS might have some nice aspects, their overall implementation pales in comparision to DOA.
Sorry, you said this...."totally interactive, and absolutely unique." I guess I misunderstood ya lol.

Hardknock said:
I'm sorry it was so confusing for you.
No problem. :p

Bad_Boy said:
Like kicking sand up, and other realistic events.
Watch the gameplay video again, there is sand kicked up it's just really subtle. Would have been awsome if the characters didn't clip the sand but DOA games have never been too concerned with clipping. I'm can't tell for sure but I think the sand might deform a little when you fight on it, like the snow did in DOA3 only *way* more subtle.

the 2nd video is absolutely amazing. i've never seen such graphical fidelity. while the characters may bear similarities to doa3 (which looked amazing in its own right) the total package in doa4 makes it a truly next gen game imo. the backgrounds, the physics, the animation, the lighting (check out hyabushi in the last segment, gi approximation?).

So is it safe to say that DOA is starting to become a good fighting GAME? Graphics were always good for DOA games, the shortcomings were in the gameplay. I guess they've fixed it a bit, and i'm very happy.
Still, i think i've overdosed of fighting games in this generation, with VF4, Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, Soul Calibur 2... I just can't bring myself to even think of playing another fighting game for a LONG time...

For starters, the speed with which each of the characters moves is incredible. This game blazes away at 60 FPS with nary a hitch, and the art team worked diligently to create smooth animations that blend between every move, fall, throw, and taunt.
:D

movement and animation still looks like doa2- doa 3 ...

i just cant get my self to enjoy these series..
dead or alive was ok back in the day on SATURN

WOW I'm pretty shocked people seem to really like this game, I"M not inot fighting games anymore but atleast this one looks like fun to watch.

london-boy said:
So is it safe to say that DOA is starting to become a good fighting GAME? Graphics were always good for DOA games, the shortcomings were in the gameplay. I guess they've fixed it a bit, and i'm very happy.
Still, i think i've overdosed of fighting games in this generation, with VF4, Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, Soul Calibur 2... I just can't bring myself to even think of playing another fighting game for a LONG time...

I'm with you on this but i think XBL may breathe some life into the genre for me...

expletive said:
They mention in the review that winning online fights earns you "zack dollars" which i believe is the currency that was used to purchase upgrades in the volleyball DOA game. I wonder if you will be able to use "zack dollars" earned in one game, in another Team Ninja game. It wouldnt be a huge deal but an interesting concept for XBL.
The Zack's dollars for customizing your avitar and lobby room for online.

Back