Family Guy

Family Guy is friggin' awesome.

I'm surprised that there are so many fans here. I remember making some comments or references to the show in the past but got nothing but silence on these boards.

Lets stop this "laugh and cry" nonsense and recall some classic moments. Here are a few of my favourite scenes:
1. The Kool-Aid man
2. Cleveland in the back of the high-tech police van
3. The Griffins having dinner with the nudists

I literally rolled off the couch laughing at some of these. God I hope they can keep the quality up. When I laugh really hard, I remember the moment too well, so the replay factor becomes low. Need more episodes!

digitalwanderer said:
Season 1-3 DVD say "effing cry" for me. :???:
You're hearing things in your old age. :)

Seriously though, Seth MacFarlane himself said during commentaries that the intros have always said "laugh and cry". It was never "F'in cry".

I cant believe people are only just sidvoering family guy. What was the excuse for cancelling it? I cant imagine the ratings being low, people love the show.

I suspect it was the usual case of.
Show does well, so they move it to a different time slot where it does poorly, so they conclude it is crap and ditch it.

They were apparantly suprised at the DVD sales (of which I am a proud owner), and that is what prompted them to start it up again.

CC

Mintmaster said:
I literally rolled off the couch laughing at some of these. God I hope they can keep the quality up. When I laugh really hard, I remember the moment too well, so the replay factor becomes low. Need more episodes!

I liked the two flashbacks which recalled how Stewie got his oddly shaped head and Cleveland got slow. :LOL:

They have a great thing going on with the flashbacks; it's become their trademark. They can weave them into the loosest, most bizarre/incoherant plots you can think of and still get a hilarious episode out of it. I'd imagine they have a mountain of ideas they haven't used yet which should ensure top quality episodes for years!

Last edited by a moderator:
They've become their trademark? :) They've been a trademark since the beginning!

(although I think they might've ramped up the flashbacks in seasons 4 and 5)

MuFu said:
They can weave them into the loosest, most bizarre/incoherant plots you can think of and still get a hilarious episode out of it.

If you're talking about bizarre Family Guy moments, Peter's epic fights with the giant chicken unavoidably spring to mind. :LOL:

Hanners said:
If you're talking about bizarre Family Guy moments, Peter's epic fights with the giant chicken unavoidably spring to mind. :LOL:

Heck yeah! That fight went on for a while....did they use Yuen Wo Ping to coordinate the fight sequences?

It's a funny show, but the humor is a bit played out to me. In 1999 and 2000 i was in love with it. I couldn't get enough. Within the last couple of years I am not that big of a fan. While the skits are still funny, it's not as entertaining as it once was. The same set up of "Remember the time when..." ends up getting old after a while. There is only a couple of minutes of actual plot in the whole show. The rest of it is just skits that have no relevance to anything. Now that it's an old show, I wish they put more effort into the plot. Most will say "but the randomness is what makes it funny." That's true, but that gets old fast and if they applied that kind of humor to actual plot development then the show would have much more lasting value.

Captain Chickenpants said:
I suspect it was the usual case of.
Show does well, so they move it to a different time slot where it does poorly, so they conclude it is crap and ditch it.

They were apparantly suprised at the DVD sales (of which I am a proud owner), and that is what prompted them to start it up again.

CC

Dvd and adult swim numbers. Both futurama and family guy were beating leno and letterman in the 18- whatever male demograph

Back