Everything I need to know about overclock CPU ?

After I read a overclocking guide in that site.

I've found a big flaw in my overclock plan.

"For long term stability, IE computers that are going to be running for more than 2 years or so with a load most of the time, overclocking is not a good idea.Also, there is the possibility that overclocking will corrupt data."

Its big problem since I'm going to use this to render my 3D work and keep it in my computer,and I turn my PC on almost all time.Ahh I think my plan to overclocking is totally failed after all lol.

I wouldn't personally recommend overclocking a CPU that is going to be heavily used. Gaming and general use is fine, since most people I know don't game for a majority of the day (and if they do they don't care about CPUs burning out) but for things like 3D work or video encoding where you might have it running at full for multiple hours straight, it can be a completely different story.

After I read a overclocking guide in that site.

I've found a big flaw in my overclock plan.

"For long term stability, IE computers that are going to be running for more than 2 years or so with a load most of the time, overclocking is not a good idea.Also, there is the possibility that overclocking will corrupt data."

Its big problem since I'm going to use this to render my 3D work and keep it in my computer,and I turn my PC on almost all time.Ahh I think my plan to overclocking is totally failed after all lol.

Fear not. Although you will use your CPU heavily there are stability tests stressing hardware more then real world applications, which will let you determine stable clock pretty well. Possibility your PC will crash in two years if it passed one day of heavy testing is minimal. Also possibility of data corruption does not increase with time, except for reasons which applies for not overclocked machines as well.

I have an evga 680i mb, q6600 and 2Gb of ocz pc8500 memory.

I was able to achieve a relatively stable OC using the following parameters:

q6600 @ 3.4 (1.53v)
fsb @ 425 (fsb=1700) (1.3v)
mem @ 950 (4-4-4-12 & 2.2v)

the evga 680i mb is very good and helps alot.

note: even though I set vcore to 1.53v, it's vdrooping to 1.46~1.48...

Back