Overclocking my CPU

I miss the Alpha coolers. They were so well-made. I still have a socket 7 cooler with the hexagonal pins, complete with shroud, clip and screws in its original packaging squirreled away in a corrugated cardboard box of assorted PC junk in my closet...

I loved the Taisol 690 (or Taisol 888) CPU cooler, for the socket A.
It came with a 60mm, 7000 rpm fan (I kid you not) which was pretty unbearable and ran at 100% all times of course, but it was memorable for the 80mm mod.. junk the fan, bend the fins and use it with a quiet 80mm fan instead.

I had sdram and the elite K7S5A mobo, though, so o/c was very bare - FSB 137 instead of 133 :p (which itself was some odd thing like 132.4MHz). I was very happy with it, still, probably the fastest sdram rig around and not much slower than ddr.

Regarding o/c, I'd really jump on an ivy bridge Celeron and clock it to 4GHz (even if only to speed up.. web browsers) but Intel smartly analyzed this would be a problem in their business model :p
Instead, I wonder what you get by clocking the A6 5400K as high as you can (without necessarily overvolting it much, sending heat out of control).
Understandably, mad overclockers and gamers aren't too much interested. A6 6400K will be out soon, too.

Back