english language quickie

I could talk to you if I were giving you some instructions, I would talk with you if I were looking for feedback on my instructions.

A very subtle difference. The "to" means you're addressing them, the "with" would mean more like you're talking to them.

mito said:
do you say "áddress" or "addréss"?
Depends on if you're talking about something you write on an envelope or a way to speak to someone. ;)

I'd write your "áddress" on an envelope so I could send you a letter "addréssing" your questions. :)

I ask you this because I've heard people pronounce the word "address" both ways when referring to a location.

mito said:
I ask you this because I've heard people pronounce the word "address" both ways when referring to the location.
I was going to answer that it depends on region/accent a lot more than which way it was used, but I figured it was already confusing enough and I believe what I wrote was the actual "correct" answer. :oops:

Very few people speak english properly anymore, at least not enough around me. :(

RussSchultz said:
nope. Rhymes with "cow" or "how".

Some people do say 'route' as 'root', but i've never heard anybody say 'rooter'.
Strange.

According to my dictionary:
"rout" rhymes with "shout"
"route" rhymes with "root" (usually, but in the military it sometimes rhyme with "shout").

My pronounciation comes from TV only, but we do have a lot of English/American TV here (only dubbed for kids programs), and I can't remember ever hearing anyone pronounce "route" like "shout".

And "router" (as in the computer peripherial that is a hub's big brother), is clearly derived from "route".

So all in all, I thought it was most logical if it was pronounced "rooter"

Basic said:
So all in all, I thought it was most logical if it was pronounced "rooter"
Logically yes, in real-life no. It is pronounced "rowt-err" here.

English is a very screwy language, I think that's what I like about it. :oops:

RussSchultz said:
nope. Rhymes with "cow" or "how".

Some people do say 'route' as 'root', but i've never heard anybody say 'rooter'.

Step outide of the USA. :)

In Australia and the UK, "Route" is "root". The way you say it makes it sound like a massive win in a battle, ie "rout"

digitalwanderer said:
Logically yes, in real-life no. It is pronounced "rowt-err" here.
Most European English speakers pronounce is a "rooter", but most of my American friends pronounce it "rowt-err".

Is "root" slang for having sex in anyone elses area?
Youd get some laughs here in NZ from the IT boys if you asked for a rooter or how to configure a rooter.

Hmm we seem to be 50/50 here in nz here, though Im not 100% certain. Ive always said route as root and rout rhymes with shout for me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
fabianoag said:
Most European English speakers pronounce is a "rooter", but most of my American friends pronounce it "rowt-err".

It's weird - we pronounce the network device "rooter" but I've heard a lot of people refer to the power tool as a "rowter".

In my English dictionary, which happens to be pretty old:
There's no mention of a "to talk with" option.
It's "a'ddress", both noun and verb.
"Router" did not exist and can't be found in the dictionary, but since it comes from "to route" (that is spelled exactly the same as "root") and not from "to rout", it should be pronounced like "rooter". There's no evident reason to spell it differently.

MuFu said:
It's weird - we pronounce the network device "rooter" but I've heard a lot of people refer to the power tool as a "rowter".
Which is correct - power tool routers "dig things out" and so should be pronounced "row-ters". Network routers send data off down different routes, hence "root-ers".

Edit: From the OUP, producers of the Oxford English Dictionary:

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/rout_2?view=uk
rout
/rowt/ • verb 1 cut a groove in (a surface). 2 rummage; root. 3 (rout out) root out.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/route?view=uk
route
/root/ • noun 1 a way or course taken in getting from a starting point to a destination. 2 [size=-1]N. Amer.[/size] a round travelled in delivering, selling, or collecting goods.

• verb (routeing or routing) send or direct along a specified course.

[size=-1]— ORIGIN[/size] Old French rute ‘road’, from Latin rupta via ‘broken way’.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/router?view=uk
router
/rowt
schwa.gif
r/ • noun a power tool with a shaped cutter, used in carpentry.

Back