Engadget: Some interesting facts about the PS3

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how some unofficial and third party alternatives work out. And kudos for the monoprice link, it's where I plan on getting my hdmi cables from (and all cables from now on for that matter :)).

OT : Yes monoprice is the bomb-diggi-ty. I just, bought the 2X1 HDMI switcher (passive) for 32 bucks delivered. I had to run out to Wally-world & get their cheapest HDMI cable & it was 35 bucks with tax.

As far as the wireless controllers, I thought we discussed it before. Microsoft has said that the proprietary wireless system supports 32 wireless devices at a time. If you have 4 systems in one room that's 4 wireless controllers and 4 wireless headsets for each system. With the PS3 system only supporting 7 wireless devices per console that would mean 4 wireless controllers, but only 3 wireless headsets per console. Provided Bluetooth doesn't have a problem with multiple consoles in the same room all having up to 7 devices used at once then I don't see that being too terriible. Definitely not something that would kill any LAN parties.

Tommy McClain

With the PS3 system only supporting 7 wireless devices per console that would mean 4 wireless controllers, but only 3 wireless headsets per console.
Wasn't it explicitly 7 controllers per console? And no, I don't think supporting so many would be useful.

Bear in mind that Bluetooth is limited to 8 devices (I think). So yeah, 4 wireless controllers would only allow 3 more wireless headsets. Mind you, if you're upset about that I'd say you were spoilt! :p

Bear in mind that Bluetooth is limited to 8 devices (I think). So yeah, 4 wireless controllers would only allow 3 more wireless headsets. Mind you, if you're upset about that I'd say you were spoilt! :p

Well tell that last person to get a wired headset. And like you said that is kinda spoiled.

There's always a way round isn't there? If you're a crazy person who has four friends round who also needs four headsets... Hold on, I can't think of any game that'd necessarily need that configuration. Four players in one room obviously playing an online game. Hmm.

A, haha! I didn't know that!

So it means, theoretically, that one might indeed use seven controllers but only exclusive of other BT devices. I think I get it now :)

Hmmm if a cellphone is connected to net via GPRS, can PS3 use that connection via Bluetooth?

Technically there wouldn't be any reason tethering wouldn't work, but I doubt PS3 supports it -- it'd be a feature that almost nobody would use and would require software support be written (which would be better used on features people would actually care about at this point).

You probably wouldn't want to play a game on it anyways -- GPRS latency generally sucks.

OK, thanks for answer.

But it would be good just for emergency use, when you're out of other options. Few text messages maybe.

OK, thanks for answer.

But it would be good just for emergency use, when you're out of other options. Few text messages maybe.

Technically the phone would just act as a modem, so as long as PS3 supports external modems through bluetooth - which to be honest i see no reason why it should, especially because of the bluetooth thing - it should work.

Hmmm. I'm having trouble picturing an emergency situation where I've got a GPRS phone and want to link it to the PS3 to text message from that instead of just using the phone to text-message... ;)

Hmmm. I'm having trouble picturing an emergency situation where I've got a GPRS phone and want to link it to the PS3 to text message from that instead of just using the phone to text-message... ;)

You just don't think outside the box! He might have trouble reading small screens! :LOL:

You just don't think outside the box! He might have trouble reading small screens! :LOL:

:LOL: :) When i wrote "text messaging" i was refering to ps3 text messaging with my ps3 friends. And other low bandwith stuff... I have no trouble reading small screens. :LOL:

And by "emergency situation" i think.... Maybe if someone dont have broadband or other means of net connectivity. [ no networked PC lying around]

Engadget Interview:

Peter Dille, Sony Computer Entertainment's SVP of Marketing

So, they have to make the games specifically. Otherwise, you can upscale. But that's actually another question I have. So, there's no 1080p upscaling for DVDs, PlayStation 1, or PlayStation 2 games. Is there any particular reason why?

I don't know, to be honest. I don't know the answer that much.

Because, that's something that actually kind of turned some heads is when Microsoft announced 1080p support. They also announced that they were going to be adding DVD playback upscaling to 1080p, which is kind of something that is more or less unheard of in the consumer DVD playback market.

Right, so I guess from a Blu-ray perspective, Blu-ray movies are obviously 1080p capable; the Blu-ray player will upscale DVDs -- your question's about why not PS1 and PS2 games?

So you're saying the PlayStation 3 will upscale DVDs to 1080p?

Yes. Oh, yes.

Okay.

That's part and parcel of the Blu-ray technology. I thought you were questioning about the PlayStation game aspect.

Yeah, this is also about PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games that are going to be played on the console.

Yeah, I don't know the answer to that, as I said. I thought that's what you're asking. Blu-ray does upscale the DVD movie experience. I'd have to check on the PlayStation -- we can get back to you on that.

I know IGN has reported that DVD upscaling is not supported, but I'll be quite happy if this marketing guy is right. Quite happy indeed.

"part of the blu-ray technology" and "DVD playback upscaling to 1080p, which is kind of something that is more or less unheard of in the consumer DVD playback market." are both untrue.

consumer level plain jane retail dvd players have been upscaling DVDs for at least a year.

"part of the blu-ray technology" and "DVD playback upscaling to 1080p, which is kind of something that is more or less unheard of in the consumer DVD playback market." are both untrue.

consumer level plain jane retail dvd players have been upscaling DVDs for at least a year.

Not up to 1080p, most of them only went up to 720p/1080i until not too long ago, when the 1080p craze took over people's sanity.

Not that it matters, i have one and i can see no difference between the pro-scan option (575p i think) and the 720p option, and even the 1080i option. They all look very good, and the same on my HDTV. So upscaling to 1080p will change absolutely nothing except have a new bullet point to brag about at PR sessions.

maybe you just have a cheap ass dvd player who uses simple algorythms to interpolate the higher rez :devilish:

reminds me: a friend of mine just bought a nice 40inch LCD samsung and complained why his dvd moviez where so crap
(he is used to 32inch widescreenCRT) on his new samsung tft . hooked up with vga so i think upscaled to 720p

Back