Engadget: Some interesting facts about the PS3

barnak

Newcomer
* After plenty of gameplay the console is cool -- or at worst warm -- to the touch on every surface. In a side by side test with the Xbox 360, the console is comparably virtually silent, and the Blu-ray drive is significantly quieter than the 360's DVD drive.
* USB keyboards and mice will be plug-n-play, no fuss at all. Who really wants to browse the web with a PlayStation controller anyway?
* Bluetooth mice and keyboards will not work with the system at launch.
* Any (A2DP) Bluetooth headset should theoretically work with the system, though Sony will have a recommended hardware list.
* The EyeToy is the only USB webcam that will work with the system. The original PS2 EyeToy should still work with the PS3.
* There are currently no plans for VGA out on the PlayStation3.
* The system will not support more than seven controllers.
* There are currently no plans for a cheaper, wired version of the SIXAXIS.
* With its media playback software one can have in-game custom soundtracks, as with the Xbox 360, Wii, etc.
* Despite rumor, Sony insists the US is still officially targeted for a 400k unit launch; Japan is still set for a mere 80k. Sony execs are actually expecting an upturn in unit production before launch, so those numbers may actually go up.
* Some titles have an option to install some amount of game data (in addition to saved data) to the drive. Genji can install 4GB worth of data to decrease load times (quoted to drop from 12-15 seconds down to 3-4); this game data can be removed at any time without affecting your saved games.
* The drive can be upgraded, although not on any official basis (read: YMMV, do so at your own risk, you may void warranty, etc.).
* You cannot leave voice or picture messages for other users on the PlayStation Network, only text.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/05/15-interesting-facts-about-the-ps3/

The lack of VGA !!! :(

* The system will not support more than seven controllers.
what, they wanted more? :LOL:
Any (A2DP) Bluetooth headset should theoretically work with the system, though Sony will have a recommended hardware list.
Really interested in seeing that list, I have 3 bluetooth headsets I could use from my cell phones (though one is uncomfortable so I never use it), all motorola's, I hope they are supported!
* You cannot leave voice or picture messages for other users on the PlayStation Network, only text.
Mark from SCE (not sure on his last name ATM) mentioned that might be something that will be upgraded over firmware, but at launch it seems video chat is only available when it's live. As for picture messages, I saw a "send image" & "send avatar" in the chat menu, I'm wondering what they may be if they are not exactly picture messages.

Thanks for the post barnak. :)

No VGA support? That's probaly the most used high def connection behind Component so far. The majority of the people I know have their 360's hooked up to computer monitors or lcds through VGA.

Also no voice or picture messages? Didn't know that.

* The drive can be upgraded, although not on any official basis (read: YMMV, do so at your own risk, you may void warranty, etc.).

am I not understanding that right, or are they saying the HDD may not be as freely upgradeable as planed. do they still use the standard 2.5" HDD if so I don't see why it would void the warranty

kinda sucks about the vga, hooking a console to a monitor comes in handy sometimes

am I not understanding that right, or are they saying the HDD may not be as freely upgradeable as planed. do they still use the standard 2.5" HDD if so I don't see why it would void the warranty

kinda sucks about the vga, hooking a console to a monitor comes in handy sometimes

Wow, I think your right. I hope its not true, I was planning on upgrading the HDD because of the amount of the storage the games take up.

The VGA is a big loss for me and many others who cant buy a HDTV yet.

I think they mean that it's not really supported by Sony themselves because they do not offer a "Sony HDD" like MS offers one. It's still a 2.5" Sata laptop drive from what I know, and fully upgradable. Voiding the warranty is an odd comment since sony has been behind the fact. I think they might be thinking about the debug units, IIRC they have the hard drive slots locked in with screws for debug units, but they wont be in the retail units.

as for vga, hopefully somebody tests a HDMI to DVI converter. But me personally will be using HDMI, so I guess it doesnt affect me much, though it would be nice if they did support vga of course.

How would it NOT void the warranty? The idea that it would not is silly. If they did not supply it with the console or you changed the default product in anyway they you most certainly void a warranty. How are they suppose to know if it wasnt YOUR new drive that shorted the system?

How would it NOT void the warranty? The idea that it would not is silly. If they did not supply it with the console or you changed the default product in anyway they you most certainly void a warranty. How are they suppose to know if it wasnt YOUR new drive that shorted the system?

1. They have been supporting the fact that you can upgrade the hdd. That would be a pretty big contradiction if they void warranties on something they encourage.
2. Theres a hard drive slot, like the ps2, which does not void your warranty.

1. They have been supporting the fact that you can upgrade the hdd. That would be a pretty big contradiction if they void warranties on something they encourage.
2. Theres a hard drive slot, like the ps2, which does not void your warranty.

Sigh....

Of course they would allow you to use THEIR hard drives that come packaged as being usable with the PS3. But if its not THEIR hard drive and nor marketed for use with a PS3 then there's no reason at all that they'd back it under warranty.

It would not be the first time a console manufacturer has gone back on their word. In fact, isnt that common practice?

Sigh....

Of course they would allow you to use THEIR hard drives that come packaged as being usable with the PS3. But if its not THEIR hard drive and nor marketed for use with a PS3 then there's no reason at all that they'd back it under warranty.

It would not be the first time a console manufacturer has gone back on their word. In fact, isnt that common practice?
Consider it this way. Sony doesnt offer a upgradable hard drive for the ps3. They have no plans of offering hard drives. They support upgrading the hard drive. It would be downright evil if they voided warranties when you upgrade the hard drive (for what its worth, they did not void warranties when you upgraded the ps2 hard drive, i have a samsung hard drive in my ps2 now). If they really were to do so they wouldnt give the ps3 a hard drive bay for easy access.

Consider it this way. Sony doesnt offer a upgradable hard drive for the ps3. They have no plans of offering hard drives. They support upgrading the hard drive. It would be downright evil if they voided warranties when you upgrade the hard drive (for what its worth, they did not void warranties when you upgraded the ps2 hard drive, i have a samsung hard drive in my ps2 now). If they really were to do so they wouldnt give the ps3 a hard drive bay for easy access.

That is different from the OP. The OP's quote does not say that its directly supported and even mentions that you could possibly void your warranty. That doesnt sound like such clear support of swapping in a hard drive. What I do see possible is that Sony says certain packages from 3rd parties are allowed and only supports those packages. If they just go and completely support any hard drive or such then its very stupid business.

I personally do not trust any companies "word" untill its put down in a legal document and even then I don't trust it.

Wow, I think your right. I hope its not true, I was planning on upgrading the HDD because of the amount of the storage the games take up.

The VGA is a big loss for me and many others who cant buy a HDTV yet.

if you can afford a $600 console + games + 1 extra controller, you can afford a HDTV with HDMI and/or Component inputs

i think you have the cart before the horse, an HDTV would give you much more everyday use than a PS3, and then you would be getting the goody out of the PS3 when you get it

I personally do not trust any companies "word" untill its put down in a legal document and even then I don't trust it.
fair enough, not sure much more I can say to convince you. We will see in less than 2 weeks, so news should come out then. (maybe much sooner considering sites will be getting retail units starting tommorrow). If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

The PS3 HDD like just about any laptop HDD, should fall under the category of "User replaceable part" I would be very surprised if it voided your warranty. I would also be very surprised if they could prove you were using a different HDD if you sent a faulty PS3 with the original 20 or 60GB HDD back to Sony for repair.

if you can afford a $600 console + games + 1 extra controller, you can afford a HDTV with HDMI and/or Component inputs

i think you have the cart before the horse, an HDTV would give you much more everyday use than a PS3, and then you would be getting the goody out of the PS3 when you get it

I have a great monitor. I dont see the need for spending 1000 bucks or more for when my monitor can play games great.

Bleh

I have a great monitor. I dont see the need for spending 1000 bucks or more for when my monitor can play games great.

You should be ashamed of yourself for wanting to play PS3 games on your current, perfectly functioning HD equipment. What are you thinking!? :p

What does buying a gaming console have to do with the ability to afford a device that is at least $1000 on top of the console itself? YOU might think an HDTV would have more use than a PS3, but many will certainly budget a $600 console + games before a decent HDTV without games. Not everyone has this magical money tree you seem to think exists just because someone can afford to buy a console.

At least with VGA support, people can spend a fraction of the cost of an HDTV and get HD quality on a monitor they already own.

...so news should come out then. (maybe much sooner considering sites will be getting retail units starting tommorrow). If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

here you go BB ;)

so, I'm reading you can technically swap it out but they don't recommend it nor support the idea.

What does buying a gaming console have to do with the ability to afford a device that is at least $1000 on top of the console itself? YOU might think an HDTV would have more use than a PS3, but many will certainly budget a $600 console + games before a decent HDTV without games. Not everyone has this magical money tree you seem to think exists just because someone can afford to buy a console.

At least with VGA support, people can spend a fraction of the cost of an HDTV and get HD quality on a monitor they already own.

because believe it or not, a HDTV can be used for things other than playing games **gasp!! **....i know, i know, it's hard to believe, but yes, displays of all types can be used to watch TV, HDTV (if it's a HDTV monitor), HDDVD's, etc..........and it's a ton more appealing when you invite a few guests for everyone to gather around the 50" HDTV in the living room for some movies or games than it is to expect them to gather around the 26" computer monitor

i guess if you are a single guy with limited income and a small'ish PC monitor floats your boat, fine, but i do also know you can get a nice HDTV for the same price as a PS3 and an extra controller and a few games and such, and i just think one would logically get the HDTV, be able to enjoy HD content in all forms, on a larger screen, in more comfort, and then really get the goody out of a PS3

Back