Endless Space

I've seen it and I was interested, but promised to myself I wont buy any game this month ...
Let me know if this game is worth the money and I'm sure I will get it in 4 weeks time :D

So I've played it quite a bit since purchase. It's quite dry, in that there's no "personalities" involved, unlike say, Civ, and it's a bit like spreadsheet management... but it gets much more enjoyable as you get into it. Even in Alpha this is a complete game.

It looks possibly good.

Can you build mega-structures?
Is space-based infrastructure key or just planets?
Can you colonise asteroids?

Can ou get space concubines and make alien sex babies?? I am still waiting for a space sexploration game that lets you use the mouse to do it in zero-g... :9

hoom said:
Can you build mega-structures?
Is space-based infrastructure key or just planets?
Can you colonise asteroids?
The answers are no, just planets and yes.

The game makes some interesting choices. It treats systems (i.e. groups of planets around a sun) as a single entity with one production queue. Within the system you can choose to colonize and move populations around to maximize "FIDS", which are the four resources (Food, Industry, Dust and Science). Within the system you may have an asteroid belt which, after unlocking the correct tech you can colonize.

The systems are all linked with "strings" which are essentially the only way to travel for the first 100 turns or so (depending on what tech you research). Combat is the only area I think is somewhat lacking... but then it's still in Alpha.

Alas... no space babies.

Who let the Primes out again? Dammit, better let loose the deterence "fleet"...

Uhh, is this game good? I just bought it, so if it's bad just keep your mouth shut :D

yeah its good

Definitely gives me that "just 1 more turn" feeling on a nightly basis. :smile:

Pace is slow until you get the hang of it. And I just had this random event that reduced all scientific output by 50% for 20 turns... you might want to turn random events off.

Still on my first game so the difficulty is set on super easy. My economy is so large at this point that I could build a sizable fleet in 1 turn and conquer the galaxy in 10 or so turns, but I wanna see the tech trees out and probably take a peaceful victory. There are many victory conditions.

The AI's don't seem all that dumb either. After a brief incursion into my space I went with "massive retaliation" and now that empire is my best friend :devilish:

At this point I am comfortable with the game mechanics except for trade routes and combat (only fought 2 battles so far, everybody wants to be my friend :p). Thinking about starting a new game now with a much larger galaxy and more players.

Also I like the modular nature of ships. You choose a class from corvette to dreadnought and build from the ground up. I took the stock Destroyer design and stripped some weapons and armor out for bigger engines and sensors. Make for pretty good scouts :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, it only took 7 months for someone else to buy it?!

homer, if you fancy a game let me know. I have the same handle in Steam.

I bought this on day one...got bored with it on day 2. Combat is horrifyingly repetitive and non-interactive.

Yeah, combat is the weak point, no doubt. I just skip it. However I've always been more of a builder, and for that kind of gameplay it's fun.

I bought this on day one...got bored with it on day 2. Combat is horrifyingly repetitive and non-interactive.

Yeah I really don't get the reasoning behind the combat system, but it is at least more interactive and fun to watch than Civ.

One odd thing I've noticed is that it takes a long time for ships to repair after a battle, even in friendly territory with a bunch of repair ships around it.
But in one combat round you can have all ships in the fleet gain 20% HP, so up to 60% for a single battle. It would take like 10 turns to get that much HP during peacetime orbiting a friendly system.
That is the most ridiculous thing I've noticed, overall I really like this game. And the wonky combat mechanics haven't stopped me from going ape shit on the entire galaxy :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, was just coming in here to say that I bought it on sale yesterday. Had a chance to check out some of the tutorial last night, but haven't really started playing yet. Hoping to have some time over the next few days to give it a solid chance and report back.

Back