Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PS4: >18 million

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • XB1: >18 million

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Wii U: >18 million

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
I was right with the PS4...well kinda. I selected both "16-18" million and >18 million. I was skeptical and teetering on both ends. For Sony to win the holiday season worldwide is phenomenal and that's with Japan not being a big part of those sales either. Very impressive indeed.

Nesh,

When I make purchasing decisions I look at the sticker price of the product and that's what I consider the actual price. That's how much money I need to depart with in order to purchase the product I want. If there's a freebie that comes with it I will most definitely consider it actual value, but don't see it as lowering the price I need to pay to get the product I am purchasing. Now this is just me, others likely perceive it differently. If it's a visa gift card or something then yeah that's like a price cut because I can choose what to spend that money on.

My votes. I'm not sure if technically I'm low on XB1 and WiiU as I haven't seen SALES numbers there. I was a little under on the PS4, but pretty darn close.

XB1: <10 million
Wii U: <10 million
PS4: 16-18 million

I guess it'll just be hypothesis on the stock in the channel to gauge if Xbox one had sold more than 10 million as we only get the shipped numbers.

I would hazard a guess myself that they are just under as Xbox ones are still in plentiful supply and didn't sell out over Xmas.

eeek... Time to eat some crow. Playstation 4 is sales monster. I don't even know how they did it with Japan lagging so badly behind. I guess european sales are all time high for home console.

I still think Xbox might be under 10 million, but we haven't had latest US sales figures yet (15th maybe?). And Wii U will miss it's sales goal (time to double down like Xbox team on Kinect). I'll probably have to eat 2 more servings of crows but I kinda like the taste :D

X1 is not selling as fast as the PS4, but it appears to me that it sells at a great pace nonetheless...right? I mean 10mill in one year is quite good to me...compare this to the Wuu!

I just wonder how much money the price cut costs MS and if they keep it and extend it to Europe?!?

X1 is not selling as fast as the PS4, but it appears to me that it sells at a great pace nonetheless...right? I mean 10mill in one year is quite good to me...compare this to the Wuu!

I just wonder how much money the price cut costs MS and if they keep it and extend it to Europe?!?
They only appear to have shipped about 6m Xbox One systems in 2014. In that time PS4 sold 14.3M units and may have shipped 15-16M. Compared to WiiU that might seem OK, but needing to look at catastrophic sales failures to make favorable comparisons is itself an indictment.

It's curious. XB1 has done well basically due to a huge deal in the holidays, but the rest of the time it's been very lacklustre. If it drops off the radar this year too with no momentum, it'll show. But on paper, it looks not too bad at ten million for its first year.

It's curious. XB1 has done well basically due to a huge deal in the holidays, but the rest of the time it's been very lacklustre. If it drops off the radar this year too with no momentum, it'll show. But on paper, it looks not too bad at ten million for its first year.

How much did the PS3 ad Xbox 360 sell in their first year? I understand that the 360 was supply contrained for a while following its launch, but I'm not sure how long this lasted for and how it affected their first year's annual result. Would be a good comparison.

If the XBOne is selling similar to the 360 after its first year on the market then that would be interesting to me, since it seems the sales in everywhere besides the US/UK seem to be a nonstarter for the XB1, yet the 360 seemed to comparatively more popular in all regions (even Japan). It's might suggest that the sales of Xb1 in the US are just so much more this time around to make up the difference in rest of the world; which would evidently make the PS4's US sales seem even more impressive IMO.

On the other hand the similarity in first year sales may be down to the relative supply constraints on the 360, which meant the console didn't sell as much as it otherwise would have in its first year. This wouldn't particularly paint a rosy picture for the XB1 in my view, even worse if the post holiday sales for the XB1 drop off a cliff.

Well Sony basically made two PS3s for launch then replenished supply with three more units per month in the first few months. Similar situation for the 360. So we can't really compare.

Well Sony basically made two PS3s for launch then replenished supply with three more units per month in the first few months. Similar situation for the 360. So we can't really compare.

Not to mention that the PS3 that launched in Japan and the USA had already been superseded by the European model which lacked full hardware PS2 compatibility. Astonishing really that they made a significant hardware revision within months of launch.

Saying that Xbone is selling better than WiiU is not high praise, because WiiU is one of the worst performing consoles we had in quite some time.

Even though Xbone is nowhere close to being called failure, MS in pretty tough situation with it. They had very successful launch in the US where they currently maintain 60% of Xbone install base [even though through 2014 they were selling less than X360 did in 2006 according to NPD data, not counting last holidays], but they have lost the rest of the world with bad initial marketing, more expansive price, worse developer relation and weaker hardware. Heck, they have lost entire world. PS4 is leading everywhere and has incredible bastion of support in Europe where Xbone will never manage to repeat the success that X360 had. Japan has started slow, but even without Japan, PS4 is grabbing the gamers all around the with the speed of the initial Wii sales. Incredible stuff.

Judging by the current situation, MS will be lucky to achieve 45-50M sales in the next 4 years [3M in 2013, ~7M in 2014 with heavy discounts...]. On the other hand, Sony is on track to quickly reach 20M per year, especially since the demand is so great the they are nowhere near close being forced to lower the price of PS4. That console will fly of the shelves when it goes permanently below $399, Japan will become more active when the software starts coming out [2015 has Dragon Quest Musou in Feb, Bloodborne and Type0 [+FF15 demo] in March, TBA dates for MGS5, Disgaya5, Persona5, Hotshots Golf, Tekken 7...], and finally Morpheus is a big unknown. It has potential to attract even more people to PS4.

Last edited:
Saying that Xbone is selling better than WiiU is not high praise, because WiiU is one of the worst performing consoles we had in quite some time.

Even though Xbone is nowhere close to being called failure, MS in pretty tough situation with it. They had very successful launch in the US where they currently maintain 60% of Xbone install base [even though through 2014 they were selling less than X360 did in 2006 according to NPD data, not counting last holidays], but they have lost the rest of the world with bad initial marketing, more expansive price, worse developer relation and weaker hardware. Heck, they have lost entire world. PS4 is leading everywhere and has incredible bastion of support in Europe where Xbone will never manage to repeat the success that X360 had. Japan has started slow, but even without Japan, PS4 is grabbing the gamers all around the with the speed of the initial Wii sales. Incredible stuff.

Judging by the current situation, MS will be lucky to achieve 45-50M sales in the next 4 years [3M in 2013, ~7M in 2014 with heavy discounts...]. On the other hand, Sony is on track to quickly reach 20M per year, especially since the demand is so great the they are nowhere near close being forced to lower the price of PS4. That console will fly of the shelves when it goes permanently below $399, Japan will become more active when the software starts coming out [2015 has Dragon Quest Musou in Feb, Bloodborne and Type0 [+FF15 demo] in March, TBA dates for MGS5, Disgaya5, Persona5, Hotshots Golf, Tekken 7...], and finally Morpheus is a big unknown. It has potential to attract even more people to PS4.

On one hand I can see your point of view, a great start is of course a great start.

But when I look at things as they are you've taken two very close points (14 months) taken the slope of it and have that projected for Sony for the remaining of the generation. You have a similar slope made out for Microsoft.

You have no view into what strategies and moves are to happen and play out over the next 5-6 years. If everything stood status quo as it is today, I would take up your position as well, but your confidence that things will be 'exactly' the same for the next 5-6 years passes as a little over confident. When the situation was reversed for Xbox and PS3 last generation, did Sony not take steps in the right direction? Did MS not get lazy with Xbox? Why is the reverse not possible?

Is it fair to say that the pace for PS4 has slowed since launch? I'm not expecting January 2015 to outpace January 2014, when PS4 was out of stock till nearly May / June. I can find a PS4 in any store in North America, when they used to be permanently out of stock. And will the price drop below $399 realistically soon? Here in Canada they increased the price by $50, at best I'm expecting a price drop to bring it back down to $400.

tldr; PS4 has an amazing start and foundation, but there's so much time left in this generation it's just premature to put down numbers yet.

Judging by the current situation, MS will be lucky to achieve 45-50M sales in the next 4 years [3M in 2013, ~7M in 2014 with heavy discounts...]

Things change. A year after the PlayStation 3 launch, where Sony were already on third hardware revision and God-knows how many price reductions, the platform still had mostly terrible third-party platform conversions, you could be forgiven for writing them off completely. But they turned it around. Totally.

I'd say Microsoft have turned around the mis-steps of Xbox One faster than Sony were able to with PlayStation 3 and Xbox One still isn't anywhere near as expensive as Sony were trying to sell those huge 7th generation black obelisks.

360 never sold well in Europe except in the uk . Seems like ps4 is going to outsell the xb1 but I doubt Xbox is doomed. I would expect ms to have sold more than 10m and that isnt bad. They haven't really even launched there system sellers yet. I see them in a solid second place.

I'm interested to see how the PS4 does in China too. It launches on the 11th right?

I was low on PS4 (voted 16-18M, but apparently I guessed 16-16.5M).
Do we have actual XB1 sales numbers? All I remember seeing was "almost 10M shipped" as of November (which probably includes the large holiday shipments). Voted <10M for XB1 and said ~8M... probably a bit low on that number as well.

Last edited:

That's a rather pessimistic view considering XBO is on pace to match or exceed the start that X360 had.

From Nov 2005 though the end of Dec. 2006, the X360 sold 4.503 million units in the US according to NPD.

Microsoft estimated shipments of 10 million worldwide by the end of the 2006. They didn't reach ~12 million until Jun. 30, 2007 due to the channel stuffing they did. This compares to Microsoft estimates that it would ship it's 10 millionth console worldwide sometime before the end of 2014.

Also note that for the US, X360 didn't have sales in a month greater than 1 million until Dec. 2007, and that was only 1.1 million. XBO already exceed that with ~1.45 million in Nov. 2014 with Dec. 2014 potentially matching or exceeding that.

We don't yet have NPD numbers for Dec. 2014, yet. but all indications so far are that at the very least XBO will match X360's start. And most likely exceed it.

BTW - X360 had sold (not shipped) 8.3 million units by the end of 2006 (according to http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360 ). XBO by all accounts has already exceeded that.

Interestingly, Halo 5 is going to hit XBO at the same point in its lifetime as Halo 3 hit X360. That will be the more interesting inflection point as to how XBO will perform relative to X360 for lifetime sales as Halo 3 marked a significant jump in X360 sales.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back