Dual Shock 3 'Confirmed' For TGS *

Rumble is like a speaker. You need a good source and good speakers to tell a difference. Its possible there are no good source available. Beside some people just aren't as sensitive to the difference, much like audio or graphics.

Its dissapointing they only added rumble. It would have been interesting if they really have a go at redesigning the controller to really introduce proper force feedback. Heck, something like a cross between Sixaxis and neGcon with rumble and force feedback would have been more interesting.

Maybe it's the late implementation of "Touch Sense" to PS3 games in TGS why it "feels" same as the old DS2 rumble.
I mean, it if devs had had just some week or so to put it in a game, they might not have had time to think of ways to use the new "Touch Sense" effects and used just the old rumble effects that they were used to.

Or the DS3's at the show were early prototypes, still featureing old rumble tech instead of "Touch Sense"

Or, "Touch Sense" is just a new fancy name by Immersion for a slightly updated tech in which main advantages are more in manufacturing, component weight etc..., not as much in the "rumble effects".

Edit: Reading the Immersion press release
http://www.immersion.com/gaming/video_pc/next-gen/advantages.php
it indeed looks like "Touch Sense" is just an evolution of the old rumble, with
broader frequency range and by exerting more precise control over the vibration actuator
and
Faster response/lower latency for a tighter synchronization with onscreen graphic and audio events
being the main advantages over old tech.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if many people (average joe gamers) wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless the old rumble and "Touch Sense" were compared side by side.

Call it Touch Sense or what ever, at the end of the day its still just rumble, even if it able to supply rumble in a wider frequency range or more accurate.

Most people will only measure rumble by its stregnth anyway.

Call it Touch Sense or what ever, at the end of the day its still just rumble, even if it able to supply rumble in a wider frequency range or more accurate.

Most people will only measure rumble by its stregnth anyway.
I would disagree, a higher frequency "buzz" might feel more than a stronger "rumble".
A broader frequency range and better accuracy could give subtlety and variety to rumble effects that are sadly lacking in current games.

Edit: Reading the Immersion press release
http://www.immersion.com/gaming/video_pc/next-gen/advantages.php
it indeed looks like "Touch Sense" is just an evolution of the old rumble, with broader frequency range and by exerting more precise control over the vibration actuator and Faster response/lower latency for a tighter synchronization with onscreen graphic and audio events
No. TouchSense uses a single motor and adds weight motion in more directions. It's a different technology.

If DS is just rumble, it seems a waste of time to me, but does explain why there wasn't a huge fuss over its next-gen-ness. PS3 upgrades most stuff to 'next-gen' standards, but rumble isn't one of 'em. I guess TouchSense is too pricey, and won't find a home anywhere.

How about the hands on report that said you could feel the direction a blast was coming from with the controller in the MGS demo that isn't possible with old rumble.

I really do hate to harp on about it again, but why would a third party pay for a touchsense licence for a PS3 controller if it wasn't going to be implemented in the PS3's own "rumble" controller?

No point having "advanced" rumble if no game is going to be written to make use of it.

Maybe the problem is that Immerssion has overselled "Touchsense" and it isn't really that advanced as we were all expecting. Maybe the only real benefit is less weight and directional rumble.

Certainly not confirmation of TouchSense in the DualShock 3, but it does make you wonder...

-aldo

Good post! +rep

Everything does indeed seem to point to the new version. After playing with the 360 controller for a long time they probably forgot the original reason for why the DualShock is called Dual, but that really does have two different motors that you can feel, and because of it the DS2 is a quite heavy piece of kit, especially compared to the sixaxis (though not compared to a 360 controller)

No. TouchSense uses a single motor and adds weight motion in more directions. It's a different technology.

If DS is just rumble, it seems a waste of time to me, but does explain why there wasn't a huge fuss over its next-gen-ness. PS3 upgrades most stuff to 'next-gen' standards, but rumble isn't one of 'em. I guess TouchSense is too pricey, and won't find a home anywhere.
Actually, as I posted above, Immersion lists among its Advantages:
  • No increase in cost, and in many cases, lower cost, by reducing two motors to only one actuator.
Of course there is no way to know if this is true or not, but the reduction in motors does seem a good argument. There could be a heftier licensing fee I suppose.

Logically, most of what we're hearing suggests that TouchSense is implemented in the DS3. Sony limiting itself to assuring people that DS3 rumble effects will match DS2 rumble effects and not hyping the added benefits of TouchSense, if it is indeed being used, defies logic. We'll probably just have to wait until someone has a chance to dissect one of the units before knowing for sure.

-aldo

Are there any other potential customers than Sony for Touchsense right now ?..

I mean price wouldn't be a problem for Sony in this case ... Immersion has to sell it's tech but Sony does not have to use TS ... So , if TS is pricey its Immersion's problem, not Sony's imo ...

Back