Dual Shock 3 'Confirmed' For TGS *

Lack of weight and rumble with controller is the main reason I barely turn my PS3 on these days, so I'm a happy camper at this announcement. I'm still not a fan of the ergonomics of the L2 and R2 analogue triggers, but this removes two of my chief complaints.

If you don't like the lack of weight, then I guess you're also not a big fan of motion control?

I don't understand why a big deal isn't being made of the rumble if it's TouchSense. Sony ought to be saying 'we've got next-gen rumble, unlike our sissy competitors' and Immersion should be saying 'PS3 has our amazing TouchSense technology - buy it (so we get royalty fees)!' What reason is there to introduce a new, next generation, much improved haptic feedback technology and not make a song and dance about it?

I don't understand why a big deal isn't being made of the rumble if it's TouchSense. Sony ought to be saying 'we've got next-gen rumble, unlike our sissy competitors' and Immersion should be saying 'PS3 has our amazing TouchSense technology - buy it (so we get royalty fees)!' What reason is there to introduce a new, next generation, much improved haptic feedback technology and not make a song and dance about it?

I agree, very strange indeed, perhaps they have´nt settled every detail of the licensing deal concerning Touch Sence with Immersion yet?

There may be some small detail that hasn´t been completely ironed out yet and hence they don´t want to go into details of what technology is included.

I guess after downplaying rumble for over a year, finally hailing it as the best thing since sliced bread would be considered hypocritical.

Given the reports, it's 100% clear it isn't the crappy two motor buzz/rumble of old.

Also, those 3rd party controllers that were announced eons ago, wouldn't be using touchsense if the PS3 wasn't going to be using it as standard.

I think you need to lighten up a touch and stop expecting the bad all the time ;)

Crappy old rumble is gone, next gen rumble is in the his-ouse :LOL:

I guess after downplaying rumble for over a year, finally hailing it as the best thing since sliced bread would be considered hypocritical.
That doesn't matter. Companies don't care to be hypcritical, they do it all the time, denying the existing of a product or title or multiplatform version only to turn around even days later with the opposite to their official line.

I think you need to lighten up a touch and stop expecting the bad all the time
What's wrong with asking questions? Why assume the worst or the best when a few choice questions will actually give you the truth?

Do you have smilies disabled?

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with asking a question. The point is the answers are already out there. (as you have acknowledged by cutting out part of the proof I offered ;) ) It is definitely not old rumble. The fact Sony and/or Immersion aren't making a big hoopla about it is neither here nor there.

WHAAAT? No Rubadub on the list? Noooooooo.........!

:LOL:

Serioulsy. All the games I play to any greater extent are on that list. NICE.

Some form of mild rumble could have been nice in fl0w tho. And rubadub. :cool:
Peace.

Did Sony say that ? I thought they only said they added rumble based on user request. Best thing since sliced bread it's not. :)

:LOL: I had the same feeling too, but it would probably be too expensive because each half will need to have the same SIXAXIS mechanism instead of just 1.

DualShock 3 More Advanced Than DualShock 2, Claims MGS4 Developer

Contrary to official reports from Sony, Kojima Productions' Ryan Payton has gone on the record to state that the rumble in the DualShock 3 is more advanced than its DualShock 2 counterpart.

While discussing the rumble in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) on the studio's podcast, guest Mark MacDonald of GameVideos brought up the game's use of positional rumble--a feature not found in the DualShock 2.

"Is it safe to definitively say that the rumble in the DualShock 3 is better than the rumble in DualShock 2?" MacDonald asked. "Absolutely, yeah," responded Payton. "I mean, it feels better."

Payton went on to reveal that Kojima Productions and several other developers, including Capcom's Devil May Cry 4 team, had only received the tools to implement rumble a week before the Tokyo Game Show. The last minute rush to integrate new functionality calls to mind similar reports regarding the unveiling of Sixaxis motion control at Sony's E3 2006 press briefing.
[ http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49148 ] ...

Its better be "advanced" or adapting " old gen " rumble to SIXAXIS will be another hit to Sony's image ...

[ http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49148 ] ...

Its better be "advanced" or adapting " old gen " rumble to SIXAXIS will be another hit to Sony's image ...

"more advanced"

"feels better"..?

Wow that's a great analysis if i ever saw one.. :???:

Feels better could mean any number of thing from it rumbles more/less frequently/agressively..!?

That doesn't specifically denote "advancing the technology" to be honest.. More info needed please..

"I mean, it feels better."
that's the stupidest reason for suggesting better tech. I need to see the thing opened up and analyzed before taking any such comments on the subjects.

waiting for Ruliweb, Impress Watch and other Japanese websites to break it open first.

Not sure, but don't worry about it. PD have spoken on the matter very dramatically, something like that they almost cried when they heard they weren't going to be able to have rumble and are now extremely happy that it's back. They were also the first to make use of the Immersion / Sony deal after it happened, by patching Force Feedback for Logitech wheels back into the GT:HD demo just around the PS3 European release.

Just to add to the confusion...

CVG shares its hands on impressions of the DualShock 3 controllers and asserts, apparently based on feel alone, that the technology is identical to the old tech:
No, boys and girls, there's no alien-like rumble tech here; it just shakes, most likely using a small metal weight attached to the spinning pin of a little electrical motor, just like all other rumbling controllers (Sony wouldn't let us break out the screwdrivers to confirm that, however).
However, they go on to say...
The newly-added motor inside must be quite small though because the pad really isn't as heavy as we expected. It's only slightly heavier than the original SixAxis; not as weighty as the 360 wireless controller, but just enough to abolish that cheap hollow-feeling of the SixAxis 'pauper's edition' (as we'll now think of the old pad).
This is intriguing because Immersion lists among the advantages of the TouchSense technology:
  • less weight (a convenience for implementing motion control); and deployment in the same or less space.
  • No increase in cost, and in many cases, lower cost, by reducing two motors to only one actuator.
Not only is TouchSense suggested by the lightness in weight, but Immersion may even be confirming Sony's difficulty in melding the old rumble tech with motion control when they state that the lower weight is "a convenience for implementing motion control."

And finally, and for the life of me I have no idea why Sony would not want to tout having the newer technology, but Sony could easily be avoiding confirmation of the technology in standard PR speak when saying, "The rumble feature on DualShock 3 is the same as DualShock 2" since this is in line with Immersion's assurance that TouchSense rumble can replicate the old technology:
  • Ability to output the same vibration effects as conventional ERM motors through spinning or pulsing (supplying backward compatibility for dual-motor games played on a system with next-generation vibration)
Certainly not confirmation of TouchSense in the DualShock 3, but it does make you wonder...

-aldo

Back