DS pre-orders hit 2 million in Japan - Shares rise 4.5%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Li Mu Bai said:
It's been known as the more time passes, the lower the price of tech. & their components become. A prime example would be the PC market, & how fast time depreciates cost. (6 months, even less in some instances) This was not a bias statement I made, simply the truth.

That's not the truth at all. Can you buy (not second-hand) 1GB HDD for less than $1 by the gross? No.

Instead, if you want a 1GB HDD in your console, you have to buy a 20GB HDD and kill 19GB in it. Because of this, unless you manufacture things by yourself, you can't obtain things for less than certain artificially-manipulated base price.

Well, if you want to go there, in five years PSP2 will be released, likely blowing GBA2 out of the water tech wise.

Do you realize how funny that statement is? :LOL:

Let's see in 2010 PSP2 will have the ability to render 1 billion polygons per second on a 4.5" screen and also have 7.1 channel audio output to two tiny speakers. :oops:

Instead, if you want a 1GB HDD in your console, you have to buy a 20GB HDD and kill 19GB in it. Because of this, unless you manufacture things by yourself, you can't obtain things for less than certain artificially-manipulated base price.

You do realize that the cost to manufacture a 3.5" 1 GB HDD vs a 10GB HDD with regards to raw materials is the same right? :LOL:

That's not the truth at all. Can you buy (not second-hand) 1GB HDD for less than $1 by the gross? No.

You do know why nobody makes 3.5" 1 GB HDDs right? :LOL:

PC-Engine said:

You do realize that the cost to manufacture a 3.5" 1 GB HDD vs a 10GB HDD with regards to raw materials is the same right? :LOL:

Who said producing a PSTwo costs slightly more than an old PS2 model? :p :rolleyes:

Do you realize how funny that statement is? Laughing
Not more funny than Li Mu Bai's original statement of GBA being released in 2.5-3 years and having higher tech than PSP. Implying that if you are willing to wait those 2.5-3 years, you'll get better graphics from Nintendo's handheld. Well, if you are about to spend years just waiting, you might as well wait some more and get PSP2.

Let's see in 2010 PSP2 will have the ability to render 1 billion polygons per second on a 4.5" screen and also have 7.1 channel audio output to two tiny speakers.
Graphics progress will probably not stop until the possibility to create something like a real-life imagery is reached. And real life imagery looks markedly different even on a 4.5" screen than what PSP can output. It seems like you are unwillingly giving PSP a huge props if you think it's graphics are about as good as it's worth having on a 4.5" screen...

Who said producing a PSTwo costs slightly more than an old PS2 model?

Reality says, obviously not your reality since you think a console's physical size is directly proportional to manufacturing costs. A console is not a cpu ;)

Not more funny than Li Mu Bai's original statement of GBA being released in 2.5-3 years and having higher tech than PSP. Implying that if you are willing to wait those 2.5-3 years, you'll get better graphics from Nintendo's handheld. Well, if you are about to spend years just waiting, you might as well wait some more and get PSP2.

The thing is PSP graphics can be improved upon noticeably even on a little screen. That's where GBA2 comes in. However when PSP2 arrives there isn't going to be significant perceivable improvements in graphics at all because the GBA2 will raise the bar that much closer to the point of dimishing returns on small screens. That's why the statement that PSP having graphics that blow away GBA2 is funny.

You think people are going to start shelling out $50 for PSP games by the boatload? That's what the games will have to cost if you want to push future portable hardware towards RE4 level visuals. Consumers are not going to buy $50 portable games unless it looks and plays as good as what $50 home console games provide.

Graphics progress will probably not stop until the possibility to create something like a real-life imagery is reached. And real life imagery looks markedly different even on a 4.5" screen than what PSP can output. It seems like you are unwillingly giving PSP a huge props if you think it's graphics are about as good as it's worth having on a 4.5" screen...

Yes on standalone home consoles not portables. You think those kinds of visual will be cheap? How much did FFTSW cost to make? The point of diminishing returns on portables will be reached much quicker than consoles because of the two factors I described ie screen size and development costs.

The thing is PSP graphics can be improved upon noticeably even on a little screen. That's where GBA2 comes in. However when PSP2 arrives there isn't going to be significant perceivable improvements in graphics at all because the GBA2 will raise the bar that much closer to the point of dimishing returns on small screens. That's why the statement that PSP having graphics that blow away GBA2 is funny.
:LOL:

Man, it's like you're not even trying anymore.

marconelly! said:

Why try when it's so easy to just point out the obvious? :LOL:

Get back to me when people will be paying $50 for portable games with visuals and development costs beyond RE4. ;)

PC-Engine,

Nintendo is already planning to come out with GBA2? Why would nintendo that when ds is just around the corner. I'm defineintly not getting a ds now since GBA2 is coming soon. You know, nintendo is coming out would handhelds like sega came out with systems in the 90s. Are they that worried about sony?

timlot1 said:
PC-Engine,

Nintendo is already planning to come out with GBA2? Why would nintendo that when ds is just around the corner. I'm defineintly not getting a ds now since GBA2 is coming soon. You know, nintendo is coming out would handhelds like sega came out with systems in the 90s. Are they that worried about sony?

Wouldn't you be? ;)

marconelly! said:

^^ ditto. :LOL:

That one's even worthy of a signature! :LOL:

[url=http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=411095#411095 said:
PC-Engine[/url]]The GCN came out after the PS2 and is more powerful yet still cheaper [to manufacture]. Look at the current prices $100 GCN vs $150 PS2.

:LOL: got to love the quality entertainment here on b3d!

timlot1 said:
PC-Engine,

Nintendo is ALWAYS doing R&D on new hardware. That's the nature of the technology/gaming business. It has nothing to do with being worried about SONY. GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP were all released prior to SONY entering the mobile gaming market.

BTW SEGA only had the Genesis system and then the Saturn many years later. The CD attachment, 32X, etc are not systems. I really don't see any connection between the two. GBA2 is coming but nobody knows when it'll be released. Only Nintendo knows. If you're happy with GBA SP now and would rather skip NDS and wait for GBA2 then do it. Me I'll be getting an NDS next week and a couple of NDS and GBA games for my trip to Indochina in December. I'll have my portable DVD player with 7" widescreen with me too to watch Kill Bill V2 and The Last Samurai. 8)

PC-Engine said:
Me I'll be getting an NDS next week and a couple of NDS and GBA games for my trip to Indochina in December. I'll have my portable DVD player with 7" widescreen with me too to watch Kill Bill V2 and The Last Samurai. 8)

Wasn't you who had an issue/comment on the size of the PSP, and who'd want carry that thing around :?:

Guess Sony is just the wrong size! :LOL:

"Why don't you assume that 6h is the more realistic time for DS then (announced battery time was 6-10h for it). 4 vs 6 is still better for DS, but doesn't sound as impressive as 4 vs 10.

Well, if you want to go there, in five years PSP2 will be released, likely blowing GBA2 out of the water tech wise. The announced 10 years shelf life for PSP does not mean a new model won't appear in the meantime, much like it happened with PS1 and PS2, and soon with PS2 and PS3. Both PS1 and PS2 have or will be on the market for 10 years, but new models appear in the meantime."

I understand where you're headed marco, but Nintendo is known for lowballing their estimates. 30ft. for WiFi, 100ft. for others depending on barriers. (Single H2H Gamespy? reported more than 30ft. with multiple obstructions) Nintendo gave the same battery estimate for the SP iirc, & I consistently got 10hrs. Sony is unproven & even wavering themselves upon this issue of battery life. And the fact is, you don't know if a PSP2 will ever see the light of day. You're simply speculating, nothing more. We do know with certainty however that the GBA2 is currently under development. What you don't seem to understand is that visuals do not drive the handheld industry, it's arguable that they even drive the console side. (referring to the PS2's continued commercial success) Software does, & development time & cost are definite factors that need to be considered. Especially with the next-gen consoles & their inflated R&D cost requirements upon the horizon.

OT, from the-magicbox.com

Japanese Console Hardware Chart

System Sales this week Total this year
PlayStation 2 114,831 1,959,422
GameBoy Advance SP 27,611 2,081,561
Xbox 4,959 31,766
GameCube 4,656 511,633
GameBoy Advance 985 188,653
Swan Crystal 108 7,080
PSone 80 13,694

Why this huge jump in PS2 sales, it was selling less than GBA till last week I think? PSTwo?

one said:
Li Mu Bai said:
It's been known as the more time passes, the lower the price of tech. & their components become. A prime example would be the PC market, & how fast time depreciates cost. (6 months, even less in some instances) This was not a bias statement I made, simply the truth.

One, why are DVD players a mere $25 dollars these days? Why are HDTVs dropping in price as well? Why are consoles able to reduce their cost as time passes without incurring massive losses? (Both MS & Nintendo outsource btw, & even Sony as well to a certain extent iirc) I know why, do you? The base price always drops due to reduction of die size, reduction in material price, & a host of other factors as well. It is inevitable as the seasons changing.

Jov said:
PC-Engine said:
Me I'll be getting an NDS next week and a couple of NDS and GBA games for my trip to Indochina in December. I'll have my portable DVD player with 7" widescreen with me too to watch Kill Bill V2 and The Last Samurai. 8)

Wasn't you who had an issue/comment on the size of the PSP, and who'd want carry that thing around :?:

Guess Sony is just the wrong size! :LOL:

Yes it was me, but I was talking about playing MP3s. :LOL: ;)

Would you carry a PSP around to play MP3s? If you answer yes then I feel sorry for you :LOL:

My MP3 player is the size of a small cigarette lighter. You would look really stupid standing by me listening to MP3s on your PSP ;)

When playing movies I want something with a 7" widescreen and that can play DVDs. ;)

got to love the quality entertainment here on b3d!

You must of missed the post about PSTwo costing more than PS2 to manufacture :LOL:

So the basis of this thread is. Nintendo is scared of Sony and the PSP. PSTwo DOES cost less than PS2 to manufacture. A few people are really starting to become trolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back