Don't you just hate it when...

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
... people keep their PC at a lower res than their LCD native screen, making things "bigger" and blurry and disgusting??

I'm in an office with loads of people, and loads of them keep their PC "as it was given to them", which happens to be at 1024*768 on LCD monitors that have a native 1280*1024...

It annoys me so much that i've been going round desks changing people's desktop resolutions without telling them! When i see the change, it's like my eyes start working properly.
They always go back to their desks and go "...that's strange... why is it all so small now?!"

Ok i'm bored.

london-boy said:
... people keep their PC at a lower res than their LCD native screen, making things "bigger" and blurry and disgusting??

I'm in an office with loads of people, and loads of them keep their PC "as it was given to them", which happens to be at 1024*768 on LCD monitors that have a native 1280*1024...

It annoys me so much that i've been going round desks changing people's desktop resolutions without telling them! When i see the change, it's like my eyes start working properly.
They always go back to their desks and go "...that's strange... why is it all so small now?!"

Ok i'm bored.
This is all Sony's fault!

j/k

Yep, I see this umpteen times at work.

To make things worse, if I do change their resolution to the native one supported by the LCD, then they complain that 'everything is too small'.

Hanners said:
Yep, I see this umpteen times at work.

To make things worse, if I do change their resolution to the native one supported by the LCD, then they complain that 'everything is too small'.

These people don't deserve eyes.

Problem is that people don't understand how "large fonts" work so that they can have a high res and still make the letters big enough to read.

If you'd upped their screen res and also upped the system defaults for the font sizes you would have had them asking why everything looked sharper and clearer without them complaining that they couldn't read the text.

I can report the same problem. Sadly, I've found people changing their screen resolutions back, even after I've changed them to the native res + large fonts. It's obviously just not something they can see.

I think this is a syndrome similar to that of the car driver that doesn't understand how a car works.

In a similar vein, we recently had a user request a new monitor - He insisted that it had to be a 20" TFT, and also insisted that it had to have a native resolution of 1280x1024.

Hmmm....

I've seen people use 20inch monitors at 800x600 and when even changed to say 1024x768 they start freaking out about how small it is.

Also, even if you do change the font size, etc they dont really see the difference and then start saying that its a waste.

Meh, in a lot of aspects I feel like we're still trapped almost 10 years ago.

Agree 100% so far.

I also find it annoying when people don't have ClearType enabled in Windows. They seem to be happy with no smoothing on screen fonts at all. I find it doubly annoying when they can't see the bloody difference when I switch it on for them (mentioning no wifes here).

Gerry said:
Agree 100% so far.

I also find it annoying when people don't have ClearType enabled in Windows. They seem to be happy with no smoothing on screen fonts at all. I find it doubly annoying when they can't see the bloody difference when I switch it on for them (mentioning no wifes here).

Well i don't have that at all in the office. Windows 2000 professional. The ugliest OS in the universe. Hell, it doesn't even scale desktop pictures properly for god's sake! If you put a picture on your desktop that's different from the resolution used, it's an artifact & jaggy fest! ********

Gerry said:
I have a 20" LCD and turn off ClearType as well. The problem with ClearType is that makes the text blurrier. So your eyes constantly try to improve the focus, without result. In my experience it makes you get tired a little faster or even give you a headache.

Nick said:
I have a 20" LCD and turn off ClearType as well. The problem with ClearType is that makes the text blurrier. So your eyes constantly try to improve the focus, without result. In my experience it makes you get tired a little faster or even give you a headache.

I have to admit, i turned it off when i plugged my HDTV to my PC. Makes things looks a bit better for some reason, it was just too blurry with it on.

Problem is that although computers are everywhere in homes and offices, for most of the users out there they are "magic boxes". Even people who have no problems working their mobiles, VCRs or washing machines suddenly become the villiage idiot when presented with a PC. It's like some kind of blind spot for most people.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Problem is that although computers are everywhere in homes and offices, for most of the users out there they are "magic boxes". Even people who have no problems working their mobiles, VCRs or washing machines suddenly become the villiage idiot when presented with a PC. It's like some kind of blind spot for most people.

Yeah it's true. And personally i don't know how they do it. It's much clearer when you actually know what's going on inside "something you're using", even not in great detail. I think it's so confusing for them because they just don't know (no one ever told them) the flow of things, which in general terms in actually quite easy. Same goes for cars and lots of other "machines" that some people think just "work".

I hate using other users CRT screens that are at 60hz!

I usally change them to 85hz (or 75hz if their monitor doesn't support 85). But sure enough the next time I go back it's 60hz again (fine keep you eye strain and headaches!).

Maybe this will be a surprise l-b, but: WE are the geeks, they're normal. They ask theselves how we do it, y'know... :)

_xxx_ said:
Maybe this will be a surprise l-b, but: WE are the geeks, they're normal. They ask theselves how we do it, y'know... :)

Seriously, i found that if i spend some time explaining in general terms the flow of things (especially with computers), they're the first to tell me that they're much less confused now that they know something about what goes on "that black box with wires".
Some people are just absolutely hopeless though, but that's normal.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Problem is that people don't understand how "large fonts" work so that they can have a high res and still make the letters big enough to read.

Problem is, many programmers don't understand that either...:smile:

Back