Don't you just hate it when...

_xxx_ said:
Maybe this will be a surprise l-b, but: WE are the geeks, they're normal. They ask theselves how we do it, y'know... :)

Which is why they should always listen to our sage words of advice. ;)

About computers anyway, they should probably ignore us on most other counts. :p

Hanners said:
Which is why they should always listen to our sage words of advice. ;)

About computers anyway, they should probably ignore us on most other counts. :p

Hey, it's been proven that geeks know stuff. All kinds of useful stuff. Like how many electrons an atom of iron contains. Always turns out useful in every day life.

Nick said:
I have a 20" LCD and turn off ClearType as well. The problem with ClearType is that makes the text blurrier. So your eyes constantly try to improve the focus, without result. In my experience it makes you get tired a little faster or even give you a headache.

Admittedly I seem to remember that ClearType has some issues with certain types of LCD (?). As mentioned above, the online ClearType Tuner could well help.

I simply abhor the look of fonts without cleartype switched on; they look terrible. Purely subjective though I guess.

problem is: what do you do, if these people have to use application that was written with 800x600 in mind?
1280x1024 + large fonts gives artefacts (text too big for button, resize needed on all forms...) ?
And frankly 1280x1024 and small fonts IS TOO DAMN SMALL.

face it. LCD's SUCK BIG TIME. They have only one "good" resolution , lower it and they SUCK.
But then these days having no choice is supposed to be progress :p

london-boy said:
All kinds of useful stuff. Like how many electrons an atom of iron contains. Always turns out useful in every day life.

55?

:oops:
wait...that's the atomic mass.

Anyways, yeah, my friend's mom keeps her 17" LCD at 800x600. Everytime I go over to fix something I switch it to the native res, and later on I hear some loud whining about "ZOMG WTF happenz my monitorz!?!!?" Lady... holy smokes...:oops: Don't be so vain...put on those glasses that I see you where sometimes! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
L233 said:
Give MS's ClearType Tuner a try.
I already tried it. The result is the same, ClearType simply blurs the text, thus making it appear out of focus. I really like anti-aliasing in general but for tiny text it actually removes detail. It also looks like many fonts were designed pixel-by-pixel, thus meant to look good without any smoothing. I code a lot so Courier New is what I look at most, and it doesn't look good with ClearType...

OT, does anyone use anything else but Courier New for coding? I actually used to experiment with other fonts but came back to the good old.

Nick said:
I already tried it. The result is the same, ClearType simply blurs the text, thus making it appear out of focus. I really like anti-aliasing in general but for tiny text it actually removes detail. It also looks like many fonts were designed pixel-by-pixel, thus meant to look good without any smoothing. I code a lot so Courier New is what I look at most, and it doesn't look good with ClearType...

hm.. on an tft? it does give 3x the resolution, and, on my notebook and my tft-based systems it does enhance the fonts quite a bit.. i could never go back..

oh, and btw, a friend of mine bought a 19" widescreen tft and thought wtf, why is it so blurry.. now he runs at the max res, 1650x something, and.. he's sorta ashamed to haven't tried that, hehe. perfectly sharp now. at least someone who CAN see the difference.

my next plan for a notebook will be 1920x1200 or something like that.. a hp 15.4" widescreen :D

people will call me crazy to have everything that 'small'.. :D but as long as i can read it..

i can't wait.

Nick said:
I terms of readability, serif fonts are always problematic on screen. 12pt is the abolute minimum and even then sans-serif fonts would probably be easier on the eye. Serif fonts are meant to be used for printed block text.

I see it all of the time, but it never bothers me.

We've got a bunch of 17 inch montors with a native resolution of 1920X1200. It's virtually impossible for most people to read what's on the screen at that setting.

Cleartype works like a charm for me. When I recently got my first TFT, my first thoughts after changing resolution were, "damn the fonts on this screen look nasty". After switching on Cleartype, all on screen text turned crisp and crystal clear. I notice no blurring at all, its more pleasant to look at and readable. Maybe other driver/monitor combinations have a different experience though, no idea...

Back