Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

It'll be fine this gen. What, exactly, is any "next gen" set of consoles going to add in terms of gameplay potential? Basically nothing anyone would care about for quite a while.

Sony and MS need to give up the current perception they stuck with for this console gen. My sister wants to play the new Fable, and would end up buying a Series S if it had Viva Pinata has well. But she bought a Switch just for Animal Crossing without hesitation, in large part because it was portable. People love that, they'll pay for that. It's a much easier and more obvious sell than some nebulous gameplay improvement over whatever current gen game might even take advantage of this gens CPU/RAM for gameplay. And it gets harder and hard to sell on better graphics. UE5 and Star Wars Outlaws already look great, how much better are you really going to get. Is it really $500 better, and how many people would consider it $500 better?

The smartest thing MS could do is put out a Series M (for mobile) that matches Series S specs around say, 2026 for $399 (technically it could be earlier if they went 15w, but that'd make the thing a bit too big/heavy for truly mass market). Maybe a Series X mid gen referesh that doesn't cost any more at the same time. Zen 6 and that new GPU arch they have after RDNA4. Look 8k, and/or 3d, or whatever the cool visual specs are then.

Sony obviously has a harder time of it, they might not be able to hit a mobile PS5 till 2028+. But if they do it could include a 4k OLED (micro-led?) and double as the screen and processing unit for a VR headset. Make the controller break apart from the body like Switch, and you've got most of the components of a VR set in people's hands just from buying the console. VR might get much more adoption if the "headset" was just an add on that cost <= $200.

This would also get a lot of support from devs. They're waiting a while to go "This gen only" because of the absolutely massive install base of last gen. And this gen is going to have an even bigger install base by 2028. Asking devs to give that up is going to be a tough sell at best, better to simply embrace that and give people different reasons to upgrade.
I'd really like Sony to release a screenless portable. 18CU RDNA2 GPU @ 1.115 GHz + 4/8 C/T CPU @ 1.75GHz (variable like PS5) with 8GB of LPDDR5.

BC with PS4 library, but can be targeted as its own platform should devs wish. Any games would naturally run at double the resolution and framerate on the PS5 by virtue of clockspeeds and GPU width alone.

Slot it into a battery pack for Remote Play or kinda wireless PSVR2.

If I were Sony/MS, I'd weather out the storm on current gen and just end it early (2026). This would all depend on AMD, which is unfortunate, as they are the main hardware vendor for new tech coming to the consoles. They are always playing catch-up to Nvidia and that's not a good place to be in.
This will no happen, it will be actualy opposite, because of covid and lacking in avaibility it will be probably longest generation and we can expect ps6 in 2028, 8 years after premiere of ps5. Ps5 pro in the middle in 2024 makes perfect sense.

But wouldn't that just be a very small console as opposed to a portable? By that definition the Wii and perhaps even the Series S could be considered portables as well. I guess it could be differentiated by having controls and a battery built in too, but if you have to plug it into a screen anyway then the utility of that seems extremely limited.

if you have to plug it into a screen anyway then the utility of that seems extremely limited.
As everyone has their mobile with them, not really. Think of it like those mobile controllers where the mobile slots in and runs games...only the mobile slots in to just be a screen. Although I don't know what tech there is to stream to arbitrary phones so it may be impossible.

But wouldn't that just be a very small console as opposed to a portable? By that definition the Wii and perhaps even the Series S could be considered portables as well. I guess it could be differentiated by having controls and a battery built in too, but if you have to plug it into a screen anyway then the utility of that seems extremely limited.
I suppose the word I was really looking for was microconsole. I'm thinking something sort of PSTV sized.

Plug it into a dock for TV, plug it into a Nintendo Switch/Steamdeck kind of a thing for a more traditional portable, plug it into a battery pack and leave it in your bag to connect via Remote Play, or plug it into a battery pack that you wear on your belt for PSVR2.
As everyone has their mobile with them, not really. Think of it like those mobile controllers where the mobile slots in and runs games...only the mobile slots in to just be a screen. Although I don't know what tech there is to stream to arbitrary phones so it may be impossible.
I'm pretty sure Remote Play's available on the lion's share of Android and iOS devices. It's still a little more laggy than I'd like, but if you use a screen for Remote Play but connect a controller directly to the PS5, it seems to pretty much resolve the issue.

I've never tried Stadia, but the above technique made me appreciate Google's efforts of having the controller connect directly to the router rather than the streaming device.

Actually yes good point. If you could connect it wirelesslyto a phone or tablet that would be pretty cool.

I suppose the word I was really looking for was microconsole. I'm thinking something sort of PSTV sized.

Plug it into a dock for TV, plug it into a Nintendo Switch/Steamdeck kind of a thing for a more traditional portable, plug it into a battery pack and leave it in your bag to connect via Remote Play, or plug it into a battery pack that you wear on your belt for PSVR2.

I'm pretty sure Remote Play's available on the lion's share of Android and iOS devices. It's still a little more laggy than I'd like, but if you use a screen for Remote Play but connect a controller directly to the PS5, it seems to pretty much resolve the issue.

I've never tried Stadia, but the above technique made me appreciate Google's efforts of having the controller connect directly to the router rather than the streaming device.

i think there is space for that. Even if it was actuaply at XBONE performance bracket. athat would still be enoughbto service the hundreds of new 2D and 2.5D indie games that come out each year, as well as many less technically demanding 3D games too.

As long as it has compatibility from day one with a vast library (Xbone native labrary + its back compats is a great start) and it has a modernish CPU GPU arch nonetheless (Like a low core-count low-clock RDNA ZEN combo) it could stay relevant for years as a low cost casual machine. Something to can take to trips with you and plug into any TV new or old, to play simpler games.

A premium Evercade, lets say.

I would like MS to release a flash drive size xcloud device which comes with a HDMI port, performant enough CPU to support an OS and supports wifi connectivity. Something like this chromecast device that can play Xbox titles over Xcloud. Give it a bag big enough for it and an xbox controller and I am sold.

1687906642958.png

Project Keystone was built for this, but according to spencer wasn't possible to make it cheap enough.

Going from base PS4 to Xbox series S already feels to me like a futuristic jump. Tons of games running so much better..I cant yet imagine the more powerful HD twins

This is coming directly quoted from Xbox themselves, so lends pretty good weight to things. It sounds like a so-called Slim is coming as early as this year, which would support earlier rumors of a new PS5 coming later this year that has a disc drive sold separately. Though I think with how early this is coming, it puts into question whether it's a full-on Slim model with 5nm shrink and all, or just a reduced-package model that makes the current processor and co work with a more optimized setup.

They also talk about expecting Sony to have "further differentiated Pro and Slim models in the near future". Which I'd assume to mean at least before 2025.

Cant say I'd have much interest in a Pro model myself, but a smaller, less obnoxious looking PS5 does sound very appealing. I just hope it's a full-on Slim model to get extra efficiency benefits and everything.

This is coming directly quoted from Xbox themselves, so lends pretty good weight to things. It sounds like a so-called Slim is coming as early as this year, which would support earlier rumors of a new PS5 coming later this year that has a disc drive sold separately. Though I think with how early this is coming, it puts into question whether it's a full-on Slim model with 5nm shrink and all, or just a reduced-package model that makes the current processor and co work with a more optimized setup.

They also talk about expecting Sony to have "further differentiated Pro and Slim models in the near future". Which I'd assume to mean at least before 2025.

Cant say I'd have much interest in a Pro model myself, but a smaller, less obnoxious looking PS5 does sound very appealing. I just hope it's a full-on Slim model to get extra efficiency benefits and everything.
If they do come out with a Pro model, I doubt it will be significantly more powerful than the base model. I'm assuming that MS isn't interested in making a XSX Pro model, so we'll see. To be honest, I think both companies should stick with what they have and press on. There would need to be a significant hardware change in order to run games at 4k/60.

This is coming directly quoted from Xbox themselves, so lends pretty good weight to things.
By accounts it seems they are just referencing the one source already saying this. They didn't present evidence and Sony haven't confirmed or denied it. Only, MS saying it in court, it's gained additional traction.

It's speculation on MS's part, thrown in there among the mix of legal wranglings.

By accounts it seems they are just referencing the one source already saying this. They didn't present evidence and Sony haven't confirmed or denied it. Only, MS saying it in court, it's gained additional traction.

It's speculation on MS's part, thrown in there among the mix of legal wranglings.
I mean, these companies tend to know very much what the other is up to. I dont think MS is just going to around in court spouting unfounded rumors they read online like we do. :p

And to lend further weight that they know what's going on, they also claimed Sony would be releasing a sub $300 handheld this year, which has turned out to be spot-on, so I'm definitely assuming they are going off far more than just speculation.

I mean, these companies tend to know very much what the other is up to. I dont think MS is just going to around in court spouting unfounded rumors they read online like we do. :p

And to lend further weight that they know what's going on, they also claimed Sony would be releasing a sub $300 handheld this year, which has turned out to be spot-on, so I'm definitely assuming they are going off far more than just speculation.
Did they claim that before or after Insider Gaming article?

Back