Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

They called it a portable PS5, but it's just a streaming deck. This was announced end of May and rumoured beginning of April. These filings are after these dates?

They called it a portable PS5, but it's just a streaming deck. This was announced end of May and rumoured beginning of April. These filings are after these dates?
Yea, I just saw these documents were late June, so it'd already have been announced by then. So perhaps not weight-inducing. :p

Still, these companies aren't ignorant of what's going on behind closed doors at their competitors. For all the scraps of rumors we hear, these companies have much, much bigger ears in the industry.

It's understood that Trinity has been in development since early 2022, with sources citing that although the rumours of a canceled PlayStation 5 Pro project are always "fun to read", Trinity has been the only project in the works for the Pro model. Despite dates being tentative, it's understood that demo events for the PS5 Pro are already ongoing, with the majority of studios receiving development kits by late November 2023.
Although the Pro's specs were difficult to pin down, admittingly due to my lack of technological prowess, sources have stated that Trinity with have 30 WGP and 18000mts memory.

As for the consoles performance targets and as to be expected, the PlayStation 5 Pro will be targeting improved and consistent FPS at 4K resolution, a new 'performance mode' for 8K resolution, and accelerated ray tracing.

60 cus? Not even 2x like the ps4 pro? This is basically a waste of time.
Any PS5 Pro is likely going to exist to ensure that all games can hit a 60fps target without dialling the graphics way back. The Digital Foundry guys, in several weekly podcasts over the past couple of months, have aired opinions that more games on console will target 30fps but at the same time see there is no need for a Pro console.

This is somewhat baffling disassociation of saying consoles aren't powerful enough but there is no need for more powerful consoles.. Folks who like consoles but having got used to 60fps (again), don't want to revert to 30fps no matter how good the objection motion blur is, well be the market.

Higher framerates and stronger RT? Those are pretty much the only stretch points for Series X and PS5 at the moment. Nobody is chasing 8K displays, despite what Sony lyingly print on their box. :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Project Keystone was built for this, but according to spencer wasn't possible to make it cheap enough.

The problem they have is that it's not just a streaming device. It has to have good networking hardware, power adaptor in the box and a controller. It's a $100 of stuff that you have to pay a subscription to use. It doesn't fall into the impulse cost of Firesticks etc.

60 CU's, RDNA 3+, perhaps higher clocks, you can get roughly double raster and perhaps far more RT, but like the PS4 Pro, the memory bandwidth will be a bottleneck. Still, that, and with FSR 3 frame gen (quality a big question mark), I can see this as a viable product category.

I think the biggest concern I have with this is what existing games will have to do in order to take advantage of those extra CU's. Automatically, or will every game require a patch?

Any PS5 Pro is likely going to exist to ensure that all games can hit a 60fps target without dialling the graphics way back. The Digital Foundry guys, in several weekly podcasts over the past couple of months, have aired opinions that more games on console will target 30fps but at the same time see there is no need for a Pro console.

This is somewhat baffling disassociation of saying consoles aren't powerful enough but there is no need for more powerful consoles.. Folks who like consoles but having got used to 60fps (again), don't want to revert to 30fps no matter how good the objection motion blur is, well be the market.

The only problem with this is those 30fps games are limited in no small part due to the CPU. Perhaps the cores here would be upgraded to Zen3, and FSR3 could help that bottleneck as well, but yeah I agree - I always found their takes on this to be somewhat contradictory.

Last edited:
The only problem with this is those 30fps games are limited in no small part due to the CPU. Perhaps the cores here would be upgraded to Zen3, and FSR3 could help that bottleneck as well, but yeah I agree - I always found their takes on this to be somewhat contradictory.
CPU is certainly part of it, but driving twice as many frames takes it toll on the GPU/RAM as well. :yep2:

Higher framerates and stronger RT? Those are pretty much the only stretch points for Series X and PS5 at the moment. Nobody is chasing 8K displays, despite what Sony lyingly print on their box. :runaway:

If all we end up with is zen2/rdna 2 but more cu's and bandwidth then we don't need those refresh consoles and its better just to have a completely new generation of hardware taking advantage of zen5/rdna4 or what have you.

imagine all the future tech /games breakdowns from DF with PS5 Pro double the performance of Xbox Series X. No wonder they are all hating on PS5 Pro lol...
And Alex has to make videos where he must admit that a console with roughly RTX 3090 Performance is a thing ..
cant wait.gif

btw - i guess a rather fast clockspeed of GPU and CPU is set. In the Road to PS5 Talk Cerny did explicitly state that he like to run faster clockspeeds.

Last edited:
I think MS absolutely should just let Sony have free reign with a "PS5 Pro".. The thing will be stupidly expensive (for a console) and no developers will actually target it. You'll get the same resolution bump and maybe games will hold a steady 60.. which I guess is great.. What MS needs to focus on is getting games out and actually taking advantage of the hardware they already have.

Microsoft's console platform is in a MUCH MUCH better place to evolve incrementally over time than Sony's IMO. Will the PS5 Pro need patches for everything again? They have to "double everything" and inevitably hamstring their device in one way or another.. Whereas Microsoft's entire BC and game compatibility is much more flexible.. so incremental console updates is easier to manage. I say let Sony release the PS5 Pro.. then have a new Xbox ready 1.5 years later and offset the PS5 Pro with more powerful hardware with better features.

These upgrades are very quickly going to lose their perceived value because there's diminishing returns when it comes to price/performance/visuals which we're rapidly approaching. I understand that Sony will want to continue Pro consoles simply to help bump the acceptable price to pay for consoles up and up over time... but that's not going to last for long. A PS5 Pro greatly diminishes the impact of a PS6, and same goes for Xbox. Microsoft knows this and I think MS may be better set up to bear the grunt of that change than Sony is.

I think MS absolutely should just let Sony have free reign with a "PS5 Pro".. The thing will be stupidly expensive (for a console) and no developers will actually target it. You'll get the same resolution bump and maybe games will hold a steady 60.. which I guess is great..
So no different to the PC, where almost no devs targets higher-end hardware. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think MS absolutely should just let Sony have free reign with a "PS5 Pro".. The thing will be stupidly expensive (for a console)

Will it be, though? In late 2024 is a 60 CU APU + slightly faster clocked GDDR6 really going to be that exorbitant? I'm not so sure. The fact they have plans to basically to replace the $400 Digital PS5 and make it the 'standard' PS5 with the Slim indicates to me they are planning the Pro to replace the disc PS5, just without a disc. I can see the Pro launching late next year, without optical media, for $499. Maybe $599 with a disc.

Will the PS5 Pro need patches for everything again?

Yeah that's my concern. It's one thing to just take advantage of a higher clocks like the PS5 can by just basically shifting it's GPU into 'supercharged PS4 mode' to run PS4 games at 2X the performance, it may be another to take advantage of a new architecture with more CU's. I don't know how the PS5 SDK/API's have evolved though, PS5 native games may not be as constrained as PS4 titles were in this respect. I'd be surprised if Sony wouldn't have considered this though.

Sure, except on PC you actually have the ability to push things much further with extremely high resolutions, visual setting qualities, and mods and so forth yourself. You're also sitting close enough to the screen to appreciably tell the difference.

You don't need to be sitting that close to the screen to not notice when you're rendering games with a sub-1080p native res, which will likely be increasingly common for modern titles on the PS5/Xbox for their 'performance modes' as we go forward.

That being said, in the grand scheme of things, I agree that it's not imperative MS release a competitor to this. MS's problem atm is software. The PS4 Pro was a 'success' with ~30m sales, but it was still a minority of the PS4 sales, and this will likely be a minority of PS5 sales until the next gen.

Back