Do you listen to Podcasts?

PARANOiA

Veteran
Hello...

Just wondering if anyone does? I've recently discovered this "amazing tech" but haven't seen anything useful on it just yet. Sorta like the internet in '95.

So do you podcast? What do you subscribe to? Of particular interest are:
  • Video game news/reviews etc that you trust
  • Music news/reviews
  • World news
  • Other tidbits.

I don't really see the appeal? I listen to my iPod while walking or in transit somewhere, or at the gym. In both cases, I'd rather listen to music... and chances are, I've already read the latest news/reviews on the web, so......?

What the hell's a podcast?!

My guess is it's some basically useless hypish buzzword brought on by the dotcom resurgence we've had over the last year or two.

Guden Oden said:
What the hell's a podcast?!

My guess is it's some basically useless hypish buzzword brought on by the dotcom resurgence we've had over the last year or two.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

Podcast: Someone had the revolutionary idea of taking a compressed audio file and putting it online. Yeah, doesn't sound so sexy when I describe it for what it is, does it you morons? It would have been a great idea if streaming audio wasn't already around for over a decade before the word "podcast" entered the lexicon. Man, I can't stand the word "lexicon." Talking about all these shitty words has made me start using shitty words. I'm so pissed, I just slammed the door shut on some kid's nuts.

Podcasting: It's snob for "streaming audio."

Podcatcher: Any idiot with an iPod, web browser, or ears.

Actually, its not necessarily streaming. I think the general usage model is downloading the mp3 of their "radio" show and taking it with you on the road. (As opposed to live-streaming it from the site).

Yes it is very rarely live streaming. Generally it is just using RSS to do automatic audio file downloads. I then transfer them to my flash drive and have something different to listen to while I work aside from music. Works well for me.

banksie said:
Yes it is very rarely live streaming. Generally it is just using RSS to do automatic audio file downloads. I then transfer them to my flash drive and have something different to listen to while I work aside from music. Works well for me.

Yeah I definitely think the idea is great. Buzzwordiness aside ("podcasting" is such a terrible, terrible injustice to humanity) I love the idea of subcribing to "audio-shows" which will automatically put new episodes on my music player. I wish I could do the same with, say, the latest Simpsons episode.

My only problem is finding stuff which I actually *want* to listen to that podcasts! At the moment I'm subscribed to an Australian Sunday night radio show hosted by comedian John Saffran. Goes for about an hour, and is honestly something I would listen to. But I don't sit around the wireless on a Sunday evening - I'll listen to it on the way to work Monday morning.

I don't really see podcasting ever reaching the same level of success as for instance bloggs. I don't listen to any podcasts, but read several bloggs regularly. I don't think audio is the most appropriate medium for an average guy to put his opinions or diary out there. It works for some, but for most people text and graphics format makes much more sense.

Humus said:
I don't think audio is the most appropriate medium for an average guy to put his opinions or diary out there.

I agree 100% - but "podcasting" isn't just audio-blogs. There's stuff like weekly vegan recipe podcasts, sci-fi serials, audio book of the week.

If I wanted to listen to a teenager whinge and tell me what music they're listening to, I'll go to my old web-diary, thank you :p

Hey, I'm subscribed to John Safran's show too! If you're interested in science Dr Karl's podcast is great too.

I'm becoming an addict! I listen to them when I drive to and from work, and before I go to bed.

I really like The Dawn and Drew Show (funny), Cinecast (movies), and Mugglenet (cause I'm a Harry Potter geek). I'm trying to listen to others also, but those three are my staple podcasts. If you haven't listened to any, then I'd suggest you check them at either through iTunes or at www.podcastalley.com .

I also don't think they compete with blogs, they are different beasts in my mind (and I never got into looking at blogs except to laugh at stupid people I knew from high school).

I want to know where the Beyond3D podcast is? What an easy way to catch up on all the 5000 post threads about the new great processor about to come out? Or who is really pissed off this week in the RPSC forum? And we could have the resident overachievers (you know who you are ;) ) host it! (and me too of course since it was my idea :D )

Back